Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #1  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 250/check tracker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default What is IP...explain it to me.

So I have been doing WW for the last two years(took a year off while I was pregnant) and successfully lost 98 pounds the first 11 months on the program. I got pregnant and now that my baby is 6 months old I have been on WW for 3 months and am down 30 pounds. I am working back to my previous goal and hopefully further.

I constantly see IP posts popping up on the New Posts section and I am getting more and more curious. What is IP exactly? Is it a very restrictive diet like low/no carb or something like that? Is it something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life, rather than just until the weight is lost and then you are left trying to figure out how to maintain? This is what I love about WW, I can commit to it the rest of my life, it's a lifestyle change, not just a diet. So that's what I would need. But I really am interested in what IP is, and if I could even do it.
tschaff04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Ideal Protein is a high protein, low fat, low carb, low calorie diet. It is pretty restrictive, but if you poke around the IP forums you will see that we find lots of ways to have variety within the guidelines!

The diet is broken into 4 phases (when I chose to go on IP, I liked that fact that they Phase you back to more "regular" eating and DON'T just drop you off the diet once you hit your goal weight). The "weight loss" phase is Phase 1 - you eat some prepackaged foods (and not just shakes), and a set amount of veggies and real meat protein every day. Once you hit your goal weight you re-introduce dairy, grains and fruit and ease back into "regular" (but hopefully modified, because eating the "old" way is what got us fat in the first place) meals.

It is administered by chiropractic offices, dieticians, and some doctor's offices. You may benefit from attending a local information session if you have access to a clinic that is offering the diet plan.

Hope that helps a bit!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Ideal Protein gives you the IDEAL amount of protein for your body to function
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #4  

As for sticking with it for life, this is the longest time I've ever been able to stay consistent with a "diet." Thanks to this forum and Rainbow's recipes, I'm learning ways to enjoy new vegetables and cooking for the first time ever. I personally don't feel deprived or restricted because I've found a recipe for almost everything I used to eat. I can't speak on the post-weight loss phases though
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 373/331/195

Where I live the IP is only run by doctors and it is medically supervised diet. I meet with a coach weekly in a small group - similar in a way to WW group meetings.

Having done WW successfully in the past, I first tried to go that route when I set out to lose all this weight. I joined online and saw a nutritionist weekly as there was no local WW group here. I did well by WW standards at first averaging about 2.5 pds a week. Then I went away for the summer and got back into aquafit. I did aquafit 5x per week and stuck to my points and was excited to see how much my hard work had paid off so I went out and bought a scale. Only to find that my five weeks of hard work amounted to 5 pounds total. I was so disheartened I returned the scale to the store. Well as you can imagine I then asked myself what I was working so hard for - counting points (which can become a bit obsessive), exercising my butt off, not eating any junk, etc. So, then I derailed... When I saw my doctor she reminded me that I was still averaging over a pound a week, a 'safe' amount to lose. I was then set to get back to the plan when my dad died unexpectedly and then everything went on the back burner.

When I set out to start this journey again, I chose IP because I'd seen so many people be really successful quickly with this plan. Even those who didn't stick with it lost a chunk of weight in a short period of time. When I looked further into the program and met with the doctor etc I was very impressed with the way the whole thing is structured. (This really varies I think in other places.)

I chose this route because it was expensive enough that you wouldn't want to do it half-committed, and that there was supervision, support and accountability. I have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it's been. My husband has even commented about how I no longer have to question each food I put in my mouth about how many points something is, etc. I've said it's been a no-brainer so far. I know how many IP products I need to eat, and when and how many veggies to eat per day to help me stay 'regular'. The only decision I have to make is what protein I'm going to have for dinner and how I'm going to cook it - so far mostly stirfry.

I don't know how it would be for those who have to cook for kids etc, as for me it's only my husband and I. (My sister is also doing IP with a lot less to lose (25pds) and she's already lost 10pds and is also finding it pretty easy. She has a toddler and hubby and hasn't found that to be too difficult either just a change of mindset - not sticking her sons leftovers in her mouth etc.

My doctor stressed to us that IP is not a high protein diet but rather a very low calorie diet (around 850 calories per day). The idea being that they take a typical 2200 calorie a day diet and keep the amount of protein the same, while lowering the fat and carbohydrates to a bare minimum that your body needs. The idea being to retrain your body to eat your fat stores instead to top up the missing fat and carbs you're not consuming (ketosis). As a result you don't feel hungry because your body is getting what it needs. The best part for me at the moment, is no exercise is needed to lose this weight. Lol. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike exercise, but I am someone who in the past needed a lot of exercise to shift weight - and I mean a lot. (Daily workouts, plus weight lifting/strength training.)

Anyhow, I know I have written a lot, but I have found I'm pretty passionate about this IP program, and only regret it took me so long to find it. I honestly can't imagine choosing any other program. The weight loss results have been so motivating already (and quick). (I should mention as well that I have been impressed with the system in place for maintenance and know a number of people who've kept the weight off for three+ years.)

I hope this information helps and you decide to research a little further.
GroovyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The IP diet is a PSMF. Google PSMF and you'll understand better the theory behind the IP diet. Any PSMF is highly restrictive and built around the obesity research done in the 70's which essentially amounts to the idea that carbs are not essential and there is an amount of protein needed to retain muscle mass.

The upside of the IP diet is the local support and accountability but that is also the biggest weakness because you might get a poor coach.

There are phases which go from most restrictive to least restrictive.

There are other PSMF that I personally like better such as Rapid Fat Loss but you don't have any in person coaching or accountability.

Regardless - you should consult with a MD before going on any kind of PSMF diet.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #7  

I am in week 4 of IP and I love it. Yes I could live this way and I have learned how to eat differently. Right now our lounge is full of sugary goodies provided by parents of our students. My first thought when I walked in there was what a sugar rush I would get if I ate that and how awful I would feel. I stopped dead in my tracks because I would have never thought this way before this program. There are many sweet foods offered by IP including one choc caramel bar that tastes ALOT like a snickers! I have felt so much better since I have been on this program. I did WW too but the point counting drove me nuts. The bottom line is that you have to find what works best for you. Several doctors recommended this program to me which was one reason I am doing it. My doctor never endorsed another program before and no, she doesn't sell it at her office. DO your research and find out what is best for you is the best advice I could give you
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #8  

I also want to add, as others have mentioned, my last resort option was going to be WW before I found IP. The reason I chose not to WW was because I didn't want the obsessive nature of counting. Points, calories, whatever. I love the way IP is just laid out for you
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #9  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

IP is restrictive (I wouldn't say overly restrictive as that is subjective).
Some Pros:
~You do not count calories during weight loss phase. It's really VERY easy in this phase.
~Your body is given enough protein to make sure you don't lose your lean muscle mass. Many diets where you lose weight quickly do not focus on only losing fat, you also end up losing valuable muscle. IP makes sure this isn't the case with their diet.
~The amount of protein is not too high, therefor not causing issues that you would see in Atkins and SB where stones, etc are possible.
~Because you are mainly losing fat, you body shape truly changes. This is the first "diet" I've done when my weight came off in the proper places!
~The combination of foods (and reduction of carbs) allows the body to rest and the pancreas to reset it's insulin production to normal ranges. This is something you should speak to your coach or doctor about and not go by what you see on the forums. There is a lot of "opinions" here about that but your MD is the best to explain it.
~You are phased out properly and not just "dumped" to go back to your old ways. Your body is reintroduced to foods slowly.
~You stay with your coach even after maintenance starts. You are given tools to help deal with small weight gain and how to keep the weight off.

Just my opinion .. this is a great diet and is unique in philosophy and results from other diets I've tried to get off those "middle-age" pounds.

Almost forgot the cons:
~No alcohol during the first 3 phases (this might not be a con for you)
~You will most likely go through carb withdrawal the first week - but this is rewarded with A LOT of energy in week 2.
~It can be expensive - alternatives are available.
~ You can get a dip$hit coach - but can rely on us for support.

Last edited by healthyangie; 10-23-2012 at 03:57 PM.
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #10  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
The IP diet is a PSMF. Google PSMF and you'll understand better the theory behind the IP diet. Any PSMF is highly restrictive and built around the obesity research done in the 70's which essentially amounts to the idea that carbs are not essential and there is an amount of protein needed to retain muscle mass.

The upside of the IP diet is the local support and accountability but that is also the biggest weakness because you might get a poor coach.

There are other PSMF that I personally like better such as Rapid Fat Loss but you don't have any in person coaching or accountability.

Regardless - you should consult with a MD before going on any kind of PSMF diet.
Hi

I see you post in the IP forum a lot, but I have gathered that you are not on IP? Is this correct?

Dont take this the wrong way, but I am just curious. Some of your posts seem positive, and some negative towards the program (which is fine) but I am just curious as to whether or not you have any experience with IP?

Thanks
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

I have to really disagree with your statement about IP being a PSMF...

I have honestly never heard that term before, so took your advice and googled it...Now I sure didnt read every site that came up, but the one that intrigued my the most was the Wiki description.

PSMF was designed in the late 1970s as a diet for a rapid weight loss for the morbidly obese.[1][2] PSMF is a type of very low calorie diet with dehydration being a health concern, hence fluids, vitamin and mineral (potassium and sodium) supplementation is necessary and doctor's supervision is recommended. PSMF diets consist in foods that are naturally rich in good-quality protein and particularly low in fats (chicken breast, egg white, ham, cottage cheese).

Now some major differences between IP and PSMF are apparent: We do not have any dairy in P1 so no cottage cheese, or other cheese/dairy. This of course was only one example...

It also speaks about ANY amount of low glycemic vegtables, and this also is not true with IP

IP would be better described as a ketogenic diet which in my opinion differs from a PSMF diet. Or am I missing something here??
Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

It seems that people have adequately answered your question for an overview on the program, but I can offer the point-counterpoint to WW.

I have done WW at least 6 times. I did it when I was a teenager (whatever program was before flex points, I can't even remember), then I did it when it was flex points, and then I did PoitnsPlus. The plan got progressively harder for me to follow because it kept adding more and more freedom and choices. As a result it became easier for me to lie to my tracker (and myself) about the quantities I was eating as well as the quality of food.

When I did PP, it didn't work for me. Well, I think maybe I lost 8 pounds in the 2 or 3 months that I did it. Which tectonically does "work" but I REALLY had to work at it. And that 'free fruit and veg' really threw me off, too. I understand the concept but if I want to successfully lose weight, I need to cut out the fruit because of the sugar.

I'm not trying to knock WW. I think it's actually a great program for some people, but it just wasn't really all that effective for me. I needed something with more structure, something where I didn't have free reign to make too many of my own decisions, and something that forced me to figure out how to NOT emotionally eat. And IP has been good for me for all of those. Plus I think I am a LOT more carb-sensitive than I ever realized, and while I was never diagnosed with insulin resistance, I think that was an issue that made weight loss very difficult for me in the past (which IP is great for).

The biggest things that work for me about IP are the fact that it controls cravings, hunger, and its restrictions force me to find non-food outlets when I'm stressed or emotional. The things I don't like about IP are that it can be hard to stay on plan in social situations, vacations, etc, and I really miss exercising hard (although I suppose this is a positive as well).

If WW works for you, I see no reason to discontinue- but if you want to give IP a shot, I say go for it! I never thought I'd be able to stay on this diet when I started and it really hasn't been that hard.

Last edited by djs06; 10-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschaff04 View Post
So I have been doing WW for the last two years(took a year off while I was pregnant) and successfully lost 98 pounds the first 11 months on the program. I got pregnant and now that my baby is 6 months old I have been on WW for 3 months and am down 30 pounds. I am working back to my previous goal and hopefully further.

I constantly see IP posts popping up on the New Posts section and I am getting more and more curious. What is IP exactly? Is it a very restrictive diet like low/no carb or something like that? Is it something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life, rather than just until the weight is lost and then you are left trying to figure out how to maintain? This is what I love about WW, I can commit to it the rest of my life, it's a lifestyle change, not just a diet. So that's what I would need. But I really am interested in what IP is, and if I could even do it.
Core Principles of Ideal Protein

Learn to live off of the body's own fat reserves. The body employs energy from three reserves: glycogen (carbohydrate), protein and fats. First from it’s simple and complex carbohydrate reserves and when depleted, turns simultaneously to its protein and fat reserves for energy. A person not in need of weight loss typically has approximately 1-2% of their body's reserves from carbs, approximately 19% from their muscle mass and 79% of their body reserves from fat.

Simple and complex carbohydrates can prevent weight loss. The body stores approximately three days worth of carbohydrates, therefore, the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method has a beginning and an end.

Our protocol restricts sugars (simple and complex) until 100% of your weight loss goal is achieved…why? Because, as long as sugar is being consumed, your body is not burning fat. It really is that simple. Remember, the first source of energy is derived from glycogen (carbohydrate) reserves. Therefore, the core principle of the Ideal Protein Protocol is to deplete the glycogen (carbohydrate) reserves completely, in order to compel the body into consuming its fat reserve to burn calories.

How do we get the body to burn its fat reserves and not its muscle mass reserves if both are depleted simultaneously? First, Ideal Protein foods are made with high quality protein. The quality of protein used in diet products has an impact on effective protein absorption…the lower the quality, the lower the absorption. If protein absorption is low, you will not be able to protect your muscle mass and thus you will burn muscle along with fat. If you lose muscle while dieting, you will impair your ability to burn calories post-diet, as your body uses muscle mass to burn calories.

Secondly, our dieters use our nutrient-rich supplements such as Natura Multi-Vita, Natura Calcium & Magnesium and Natura Potassium, key ingredients in muscle building and electrolytes. These supplements replace those normally found in foods restricted on the Ideal Protein protocol. We also offer a modified protocol for Type I Diabetics, adolescents and children.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I think ip would be considered a psmf. It uses protein to maintain lean muscle mass while being low calorie enough for weight loss.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
Hi

I see you post in the IP forum a lot, but I have gathered that you are not on IP? Is this correct?

Dont take this the wrong way, but I am just curious. Some of your posts seem positive, and some negative towards the program (which is fine) but I am just curious as to whether or not you have any experience with IP?

Thanks

Can't answer for John, but as a person who is not following IP, but still participates in the IP forum, I can tell you why I do...

initially because I was interested in PSMF's and IP was pretty much the only game in town. There are a few less active threads on other PSMF's, but for the most part IP is the most vocal and active.

When I can't find "exactly" what I need on 3FC, I resort to what is "close enough," and IP is "close enough."

The PSMF I'm attempting is pretty much "The Simple Diet" as written in the book The Simple Diet by James Anderson (a doctor) and Nancy Gustafson (a registered dietitian). It's much like IP, but there are a few differences. Fruits and vegetables aren't limited (but there are guidelines for adjusting the quantities if a person's weight loss is being slowed by choosing too many or too highly caloric freggies). Also, in place of from-scratch meals (at first) are frozen or prepackaged dinners.

The diet as written (the Simple Diet, that is) doesn't spend much time discussing the option of making homemade meals and meal replacements to fit the requirements, it just lists the meal and meal replacement guidelines (for meals, 140 to 300 calories, up to 9g of fat, and 10 - 26 grams of proteins/ for shakes 100 to 200 calories, 0-6g of fat, and 10 - 26g of protein), but I do make my own shakes, and my own meals at least half the time.

I do post on "The Simple Diet" thread, but I need more support and information than can be gleaned through one thread, so I have to look for other threads that are similar, and IP is "close enough."

I would love to see an all-inclusive PSMF thread on 3FC, but what I've learned from experience is that such threads tend to fizzle out. It seems that most people want to congregate with people doing "exactly the same as" themselves. So if you're doing something even a little different from everyone else, it can be really hard to find anyone to talk to... so you hide (or apologize) for your differences and do the best you can to socialize with the folks who are the most like you (even if not exactly).

Unfortunately when you get a variety of PSMFers together, there tends to be clashes over the minutia... people focusing and arguing over the few (usually minor) differences, rather than on the majority of similarities.

I would very much support generic PSMF threads, but I haven't had any luck starting them.

\
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote