Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #1  
Joined IP 6/11/12

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Question Is Almond Flour okay for IP protocols?

A friend of my wife that is on IP told her that she is using almond flour and making baked goods and that it hasn't had a negative impact on her during phase 1. I'm skeptical since it's not "on the sheet"! I'm very strict and don't cheat at all and I'm getting really close to my goal weight! However, I'd like to maybe use the almond flour during maintenance going forward.
Does anyone have any experience here? Thanks for sharing, as always!!!
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #2  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileheadKen View Post
A friend of my wife that is on IP told her that she is using almond flour and making baked goods and that it hasn't had a negative impact on her during phase 1. I'm skeptical since it's not "on the sheet"! I'm very strict and don't cheat at all and I'm getting really close to my goal weight! However, I'd like to maybe use the almond flour during maintenance going forward.
Does anyone have any experience here? Thanks for sharing, as always!!!
I think they use almond and coconut flour on the maintenance thread. Something to look forward to.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #3  

I think you answered your own question. It is not on the sheet so it is not on the plan.

Some people cheat and have better luck than others. I am following the program as it is written.

The same people who cheat (either blatantly or adding in low-carb items like this) will be the ones who later say IP doesn't work. As Scorbett is fond of saying (my translation), the program was written based on science. If you don't understand the science, don't try to tweak it! There will be plenty of time for things like almond flour in later phases. It is surely a great low-carb, gluten-free option. It is just not on P1.

Perhaps some folks are not as metabolically (insulin) resistant as I am. I'm already a pretty "slow" loser. I'm losing about 2 lbs/week, now that I've settled into my IP routine (2.8 avg/week since I started IP). Why would I want to do ANYTHING to slow it down further? [NOTE: this is FASTER than I could lose before IP]

This would have been a great question for the daily chat! Lots more people read that.

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-20-2012 at 09:28 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

LOL you took the words right out of my mouth! Almond flour is nut based, and nuts are on the "forbidden" list for Phase 1. If you want the protocol to work as written, you need to follow the protocol. As Lisa said, there is PLENTY of time for all the stuff you miss once your pounds are gone - this diet doesn't make us wait nearly as long as others to get to that point!

The longer I'm on the diet, the more I find that nothing is on (or off) the protocol by accident. The science of this diet goes beyond just calories, fat and carbs - which is why I believe so many well-intended coaches change the protocol and differ in their opinions - that's all they are looking at and so they miss some of the point. I trust the program.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #5  

tag team!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #6  
Joined IP 6/11/12

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
LOL you took the words right out of my mouth! Almond flour is nut based, and nuts are on the "forbidden" list for Phase 1. If you want the protocol to work as written, you need to follow the protocol. As Lisa said, there is PLENTY of time for all the stuff you miss once your pounds are gone - this diet doesn't make us wait nearly as long as others to get to that point!

The longer I'm on the diet, the more I find that nothing is on (or off) the protocol by accident. The science of this diet goes beyond just calories, fat and carbs - which is why I believe so many well-intended coaches change the protocol and differ in their opinions - that's all they are looking at and so they miss some of the point. I trust the program.
Scorbett1103, I agree totally. I was simply curious. I saw one of your posts on the "too many veggies" thread and, like you, I follow the sheet to a "T". If you haven't read Dr. Trahn's book, it's an interesting read since he explains the science behind the diet. It also helps clear up answers when I see folks on here quoting their coaches about allowing this or that or the other that isn't "on the sheet"! unlimited cucs and celery, etc. can cause you to go over 40 carbs a day. dangerous ground!!! lol

I appreciate all the feedback - I have no intention of going off the sheet until I'm done!!! LOL I'm only 10 lbs away now so I can taste it (no pun intended! )!
I don't think of posting things on the daily thread. I'm more of a reader than a contributor, but I'll remember that advice - thanks! Have a great weekend, everyone!
Ken
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #7  

Ken, Great job your almost there!

Another product you might want to look into, for when your in maintenance, is carbquick. It's like bisquick but very low in carbs.

Things to look forward to, Good Luck with your last 10 pounds!!
WhoDat730 is offline   Reply With Quote