Old 10-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #1  
Started IP 6/22/12

Question chest/stomach discomfort

Have any of you experienced chest or upper stomach pain or discomfort while on IP? I have been having chest pain on and off over the last few weeks and sometimes I feel like it may be my stomach and not actually my chest. I've been checked out by a doctor and they don't think it is related to my heart. They had told me to stop taking the vitamins for several days until I could check with my coach that there weren't any stimulants in them. I didn't think that there were and she confirmed that there aren't. However, once I started taking them again the pain came back.

I realize this could be caused by any number of things and taking the vitamins again could just be a coincidence, but I do wonder if something in them doesn't agree with me. Maybe I'm allergic to something or maybe there is an ingredient that can cause stomach issues. I really don't know but thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts or a similar experience.

If it helps, I've been on the diet since the end of June and have lost about 50 lbs (ticker isn't updated). The only thing I have changed in my lifestyle is going on the diet so that is why I wonder if it could be related, but I certainly don't want to stop it either because I feel great on it otherwise and it's working.

Last edited by nolegirl150; 10-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
nolegirl150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #2  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Smile

I just started IP (I'm into Week 2), and I had similar symptoms; stomach and occasional chest pain. I thought it might be gas pains or that I might have a problem digesting the soy protein, or at least adjusting to it, so my coach suggested I try their enzymes. I started taking those a few days ago, and the problem seems to have cleared up.
Hopefully more experienced people will offer you other suggestions, too, but there's my input!
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Where on your chest is the pain? Below the beasts, in the middle, abdomen area? I'd it sharp, aching, dull? Does it come on suddenly, build up?
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4  
Started IP 6/22/12

Thanks, GlacierGirl! I'll talk to my coach some more about it and maybe consider the enzymes.

Anna, The chest pain is usually between the breasts, sometimes a little to the left (which is why I was concerned it was heart-related), and also a bit below the breasts too in the center, kind of wear my bra ends or just below it.

Sometimes the pain is sharp, sometimes it is dull. I feel it randomly and it doesn't seem to build up in intensity. I'll usually have the sharper pain for a few minutes here and there throughout the day (no real pattern to when it occurs), but for a few days I've had the duller pain present throughout most of the day.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Well, your liver runs across under the breasts in that area. Sometimes the obese have fatty liver. also, your gallbladder is in that area.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 293/248/199

Height: 5'1"

I noticed I get that feeling sometimes after taking the vitamins. Or if I wait too longer after my IP food to take the vitamins. Lasts about 30-60 minutes.
erin11585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #7  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegirl150 View Post
Have any of you experienced chest or upper stomach pain or discomfort while on IP? I have been having chest pain on and off over the last few weeks and sometimes I feel like it may be my stomach and not actually my chest. I've been checked out by a doctor and they don't think it is related to my heart. They had told me to stop taking the vitamins for several days until I could check with my coach that there weren't any stimulants in them. I didn't think that there were and she confirmed that there aren't. However, once I started taking them again the pain came back.

I realize this could be caused by any number of things and taking the vitamins again could just be a coincidence, but I do wonder if something in them doesn't agree with me. Maybe I'm allergic to something or maybe there is an ingredient that can cause stomach issues. I really don't know but thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts or a similar experience.

If it helps, I've been on the diet since the end of June and have lost about 50 lbs (ticker isn't updated). The only thing I have changed in my lifestyle is going on the diet so that is why I wonder if it could be related, but I certainly don't want to stop it either because I feel great on it otherwise and it's working.
I didn't experience chest pain but I did experience upper right side pains in the abdomen area. They said it was my gallbladder trying to cleanse and put me on some homeopathic herbs to assist. It went away within a week but since I've had on/off pangs in my general abdomen area, especially when starting a new phase. It seems like when my body adjusts, they kind of go away.

I do know that if you don't make sure your potassium/calcium/magnesium stays up, you can have issues with the liver/gallbladder/kidney.
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

I do also get slight discomfort at times which as said by erin11585 seems to be related to the vitamins and if I wait to long after food, but also I found it is if I do not "chase" the vitamins with enough water. Once I started to down about 8oz following the vitamins I have not had an issue. Hope this helps.
MonicaKolesnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #9  
Started IP 6/22/12

Thanks so much, everyone! It is reassuring to hear others' experiences and get some ideas about what it could be!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #10  

Was in the emergency room this week. EKG did not show any problems nor my blood test. However mine is related to stress at work. I take all the vitamins they give you on IP.
newlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #11  
Started IP 6/22/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlady View Post
Was in the emergency room this week. EKG did not show any problems nor my blood test. However mine is related to stress at work. I take all the vitamins they give you on IP.
Sorry to hear that but I'm glad the tests were normal! I hope you can find something to help you de-stress! I wonder if mine has been stress-related too sometimes. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 206.4/146.8/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegirl150 View Post
Thanks, GlacierGirl! I'll talk to my coach some more about it and maybe consider the enzymes.

Anna, The chest pain is usually between the breasts, sometimes a little to the left (which is why I was concerned it was heart-related), and also a bit below the breasts too in the center, kind of wear my bra ends or just below it.

Sometimes the pain is sharp, sometimes it is dull. I feel it randomly and it doesn't seem to build up in intensity. I'll usually have the sharper pain for a few minutes here and there throughout the day (no real pattern to when it occurs), but for a few days I've had the duller pain present throughout most of the day.
It sounds exactly like gall bladder. I had to have mine out 22 years ago after losing 65 pounds quickly on Nutri-System. It's a side-affect of weight loss, unfortunately.
Minch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #13  
Started IP 9/25

S/C/G: 190/173.2/145

Height: 5'4"

I was having similar issues after taking the potassium pill in the mornings. I started cutting them in half and haven't had any issues since. I think they were getting stuck in my throat and causing reflux issues. I still take the whole pill, just in two pieces now.
OneofThreeGirls is offline   Reply With Quote