General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Default Oogh men, well one man, how to handle this.

So I have a lovely lovely fiancé. We love each other very much. Just throw that out there before I continue that by no means am I unhappy, im just a wee bit frustrated.

So my fiancé can sometimes be a downer. He takes a situation and makes it seem very diar and woe is me, type of situation. I always try to tell him it's ok and things will work and to think positive but it doesn't stick with him. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, I tend to do that. But sometimes it's like c'mon just don't worry and keep on keepin on.

Let me give some examples one time my side mirror fell off my car(I have an old car :/ ) anyways he said something like "man baby we can't ever catch a break" and I said something like "it's no big deal babe I'll fix it" which it wasn't and I did fix it

He worries very very much about things, money ect when everything always works out and the cycle repeats it self.

Last night he drove home (5 hours away, we're long distance atm) and it was late and I told him to get a 5 hour energy or some type of caffine, and he was half attempting to be macho and say he didnt need it but 30 minutes later he's texting saying he's so tired and he may have to stop, and it's soo frusterating because to me it's like 'okay why didn't you stop and do what I suggested, but nooooo you insist on making a stressful situation for yourself and me'

I don't under stand is this normal? Lol I was with my ex husband for 5 years and he was a close hearted closed mouth man who led you onto no emotions he may have soooooooo this is different.

But when he isn't being this way it's amazing and I love spending time with him, how do I approach this? I know you can't change a person but I don't want to change him I just want him to view life more positively, and not let things get to him so easily.

Howwwww do I do this? Help? Am I wrong?
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #2  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

It's funny how people have very different ways of looking at the world. In my experience, people who tend to have a more "bleak" outlook on certain situations were taught that behavior somewhere along the road. My best friend is very much like that- every little thing turns into a catastrophe and obstacles are constantly being put where they don't belong. Are his folks the same way? Have you noticed a pattern of negativity throughout his family dynamic?

I would say that confronting him about his behavior might be a good starting-off point. Like I said, he may have grown up in an environment that is a little more negative in nature than you are accustomed to. Not to say that he did not develop those behaviors on his own- that is quite possible as well. If you open up without being critical, and let him know how that behavior affects the relationship, he might be willing to work on it.

Another thing is that men are just stubborn. If I had told my fiance to take a 5 hr energy before he left, he would have done the same thing. They never learn. What can I say...

Bottom line is that you cannot change a person, they have to want to change. If you gently confront him about the behavior and he realizes that he does want to change, then he may. If not, you should evaluate how much his negativity really does affect you, and consider if it is enough of a deterrent to make you reconsider the relationship.

Best of luck!!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #3  

I haven't spent tons of time with his family they live in Ohio we live in Florida. But here's what I picked up, my fiancés mom is the peace keeper when zack gets that way around her she's like"ok honey its fine it's fine" she's very sweet, but from what he says was very much about her life when he was growing up.

His sister is so selfless such a sweet amazing girl, I can't find anything negative about her but I've probably spent the less time around her

His dad well seems like a tough man more so along the lines of not a complainer.

But from what I picked up from my fiancé is that his parents before being divorced and after stopped focusing on him and his brother and sister, after their divorce his brother had a child at 16 and my fiancé got really bad with drugs he has sense cleaned up and has been in the military for 8 years and hasn't touched them since before he joined. His sister was little when they split so I think it effected her the least she's set to be a missionary to the chech republic later this year.

I try to call him out when he does these things, but maybe I need to confront him when he isn't doing these things so it has more of an effect and sinks in
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Some people just worry a lot and tend to look on the negative side of things. They are not bad people that is just the way they are wired. In most cases it is a waste of energy to try and change them. Accept them for what you love about them and don't get upset when the are worrying needlessly.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Some people just worry a lot and tend to look on the negative side of things. They are not bad people that is just the way they are wired. In most cases it is a waste of energy to try and change them. Accept them for what you love about them and don't get upset when the are worrying needlessly.
I'm a fairly sensitive person I try to not be and I try to be aware when I am being overly sensitive. So when I tell my natural empathetic instincts to ignore a situation I feel like an awful person, but I can't react fakely either, and pretend like I care, I'm just a genuine person. So what do I do? Do I just ignore him when he's being negative do I react sarcastically and over react to make him see he's bein silly, or do I attempt to act concerned which can be tiring when it's happening everyday.

Maybe there's something wrong with me :/
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

My husband and I are polar opposites. He's an eternal optimist who doesn't believe anything can go wrong. I'm a realist (my opinion) or a pessimist (his opinion) depending on which of us you ask- I believe things can and do go wrong and I plan for it. I'm always thrilled when nothing goes wrong, and I practice an attitude of gratitude, but always prepare for the worst. My husband thinks I "borrow trouble" and I think he's hopelessly naive. (I mean that in the most loving way possible, of course). It just goes to show that two people who love each other can be very different. I think that way of thinking is deeply ingrained in us, and not something you're going to change about him. Better to just accept that he's a "Sky is falling!" type and love him anyway.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #7  

Sounds like it is just the way he is and only he can change that. Maybe you can bring it up, give him examples and see if he is interested in changing that part of himself? A great book I recommend is called "The secret" and it has to do with how you get what you expect out of life (good or bad) and what part your attitude and thinking plays in this. Great read!!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #8  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Try to stay positive and maybe it'll rub off on him once you two are actually living together. Then again I don't know how long you've been putting up with it. I would just try to ignore it when you absolutely know it'll be fine (like with the mirror) and just keep telling him it'll be okay. Like I said, he might get better once you two are in the same house, because then he'll learn.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Nothing you can do will change him. He can change himself but it's highly unlikely. Reading books on positive thinking can help but only if he is willing and ready to change.

I'd suggest you simply decide if you can live with it, or not.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Nothing you can do will change him. He can change himself but it's highly unlikely. Reading books on positive thinking can help but only if he is willing and ready to change.

I'd suggest you simply decide if you can live with it, or not.
Good advice.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #11  

My partner was the same. Anything happened, often trivial and it she moved into full scale disaster mode. We worked on this for a while, examining her response to incidents until she could see herself and her reactions. Now all I have to say is .... "You are off on one again" and it pulls her up short.

The beauty is that more often than not she actually sees it and stops it before it gets off the ground, now, and not too long ago she came home from work all puffed up with pride and told me that she seems to have reached a calm place in her life and, after what sounded like an horrifically stressful day, she was stress free and positive.

It is not that you don't stress out or feel negative, it is how you cope with those reactions and re-employ that energy. He just need to learn coping skills.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #12  

I wish I knew how to help him cope with things, maybe he and I can both learn to handle the situations that come up. We both had pretty horrific exes and walked out of them and found each other a year or so later and I think we are still helping each other heal and learn, and maybe he still has a lot of healing to do, idk
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #13  

I am lucky in that I trained as a therapist and, whilst my partner is often too close to me for me to use my training, I can at times distance myself when it is easy to spot markers. Having said that ... my last partner was an abuser and I suffered in the wake of his death with the legacy of horror he willed to me. Until a couple of years ago if anything went wrong I was in suicide mode - a totally disproportionate and inappropriate reaction to things like having to bring in the wheelie bin when the kids were walking past on the way from school, for instance. (agoraphobic)

I think the thing is to do some gentle therapy together. there is no shame in seeking help to get through some really thorny territory. Oftentimes we simply cannot stand aside from ourselves, and our loved ones, to see how we are dealing with things and how we could change our responses and reactions to make things easier, and to help cope. sometimes it takes more than just time to mend things, it takes adjustments, identifying markers, becoming aware of danger signals.

You both deserve to live happily and peacefully in your new, wonderful relationship and if it takes a little therapy to help that on the way then take that step? I know it can be a little scary but I promise you it is worth it.

Last edited by Sinoia; 10-03-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #14  
Warrior Princess

What JohnP said. He's a worry wart by nature and somewhat stubborn, you won't be able to change that - that's just who he is. You'll have to decide if it's something you can deal with for life or not but I have to tell you if that's the worst part about him I think you have it pretty good.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #15  

I think it is a question of "is the glass half full or half empty"?Two of us can be in exactly the same situation and see things differently. I do think some people are just natural born worriers and pessimistic that is pretty hard to change while it would be desirable it may not be possible. We have to accept people as they are if we can't do that we are in for a lot of wheel spinning truing to get the other person to change.