Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 11:58 PM   #1  

Anyone else been diagnosised with SAD? I guess the rate of people having this disorder is higher in the upper midwest, like I live in Minnesota and we have had a horrible winter. A couple of the symptoms are carvings for sweets and carbs and lack of energy which would totally explain weight gain. I have been trying to be very aware of this disorder that I have to control the carvings or giving in to the cravings. I have not gone down over these winter months in my weight, but I have not gained, so that says something. I hope within the next few weeks that our weather will be getting better and that I am relieved of some of these syptoms. Then I can really concentrate on losing another 20 lbs. before my body starts with these symptoms again.

------------------
Angela
207/WW150/189/140Personal
Old 03-20-2001, 07:43 AM   #2  
GettingThere138!

Default SAD

Hi, I also have dealt with SAD. I was diagnosed years ago, so have had practice recovering. As you may know, some folks buy special lights to sit under if they are in areas where there is not much sun in the winter. I haven't done that, but I hear it is great. It has been really hard for me, I get very very tired and just want to cocoon under the covers with a box of cookies. I almost crave the dark, and spring becomes hard. What has worked for me is to begin a fresh exercise program in January, right after the holidays. Even if I have been doing something else, I start a different program to make it new and just commit myself to movement everyday. Getting my pulse rate up and all those healthy hormones flowing does lift and sustain my mood, plus I do a spring cleanse over Lent (cut out sugar and white flour). I love the points system where I can include everything, but during this phase of the year I have to cut out sweets because they are a big obstacle to staying in balance for me. On Easter, though, the chocolate bunny gets it! Ymmm. Anyway, I try to make it a game, but the discipline is hard. I just got weary of the INTENSE discipline I needed to get out of the funk and fat I had sunk into, so I do it ahead of time and stay out of that state. I think it is great you maintained your weight, that is a great accomplishment. Each year WILL get better. Even when I get off track, I get back on track quicker and faster as each winter passes: instead of 1 foot forward and 5 back it's 5 forward and 1 back! Good luck!

Old 03-28-2001, 09:17 PM   #3  

Can you tell me how you get diagnosed for this?
This is the worst winter I have ever spent. While I have fibromyalgia, it has been more than just muscle pain. Just when we have had a touch of light as though Spring is around the corner, we will have a snow storm and I can't tell you what this does to me.
Yes, carb cravings, and moodiness, and yucky feelings I just can't shake.
I also ended up shutting off the Florescent lights in my office to help with headaches, and use lamps which make for a quite romantic setting, but the light is dimmer than ever. Maybe that is part of it... But I can't go back to florescent lighting.
I lost 14 pounds last spring and summer and gained them back starting with Halloween candy and ending with Christmas and sale candy. I hope to lose it again, but I don't want to just be in a Catch-22.
Closed Thread