Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Question Antidepressants and weight.

Hi all, I have been at least mildly depressed most of my life...I have been in and out of therapy for the past 9ish years. I'm right now functioning in my life, and doing the best I can to help myself. I go to work, I go out very often, and I'm not missing work outs...but its almost as if I'm going through the motions. I feel anhedonic lately and just devastated, like no matter what I do I can't really enjoy myself. Now its not as though I am feeling this way "just because" I have a few smaller reasons and one specific reason that I'm really sad (don't want to talk about it here). Yesterday my therapist of a year and a half discussed medication with me for the first time. I've always thought about it, but have never been on an antidepressant. Therapist said, she normally only prescribes to ppl who can't function without it, but she thinks somehow it can help me to alleviate some feelings of self hatred and get my mind right so I can make the right decisions in life (mostly socially, in the way I choose friends/lovers and let people treat me). Of course I would love to feel better, but I'm nervous about side effects and weight gain. I would assume it would be impossible to gain weight if I wasn't eating more...Discuss that with me. And also has any body taken antidepressants and felt a real improvement? Has anyone gained weight? Has anyone LOST weight? What do y'all or have y'all taken? How long? Thanks in advance for thoughts and support!!! ~Sara
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #2  

Talk to your therapist regarding your weight gain concerns. There are anti depressants that don't typically cause weight gain. I think you are right to explore changes you can make to improve your mood. You deserve & can feel better! Are you exercising right now at least 45 minutes or more (cardio) at least 3-5 days out of the week - when you get your heart rate up? That is something that most doctors will suggest to try for a few weeks first - to see if your mood lifts from this increase in intensity & consistency in exercising prior to trying meds. I think you said you are already exercising on a regular basis, but I'm wondering if the intensity is hard enough/at least moderate? If you are not getting your heart rate up, regular exercise - doesn't always have the same benefit for mood -as it does for overall health I've heard. Also, my friends have described similar lower grade depression & numbness of feelings & swear by yoga re: helping them enjoy things more & feel more joy/hope & balance in life. I find being outside in the sunlight at least 20 minutes a day helps me a lot. Also mindfulness & some basic breathing exercises when I am stressed too. Visiting the bay or open ocean if it is nearby (or the mountains/lake any place that you find beautiful) makes me feel better too. Lastly - watch what you are watching and listening too. Limit screen time (internet browsing/email & TV time, esp talk radio) to less than 2 hours daily. Hope these suggestions are not too "been there/tried that" & that they help! Good luck & keep the faith that things will get better!!!
cgsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Thank you so much cgsummer for your reply! I am doing Insanity 6 days a week, its very intense but less than 45 minutes. I also walk. I started incorporating running into my program last night, and I plan on doing that at least 3x a week in addition to insanity. I have done yoga, and sort of like it, I've never done it religiously, maybe I will try that. I'm in NYC not a lot of beautiful nature around. Some more sunlight would be good. I'm just extra depressive DESTROYED really over a break up (my choice but I did it because I had to not because I wanted to) from a man who screwed with me and was deeply emotionally abusive...He seems to leave a trail of women in the state I am right now. But I'm getting those feelings of what if I never love anyone as much as I love him...or what if I never WANT anyone that way. And I'm crazy bc I knew he was bad and I wanted him anyway or MORE. And what if I never find someone to love me the way I deserve?? You see where my head is at right now? I'm having trouble intellectualizing these things...but my therapist says I feel this way bc of self hatred and maybe meds could help. She's not an MD and she'll have to send me to someone else to get medicated, which also makes me nervous. Oh, and I really do try to screen the things that I'm watching and so forth. I hardly watch any tv at all, I stay away from violent things. I'm trying to be positive, even reading self help books, it just doesn't seem to be working. Thanks again, it really does help.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I've been taking an antidepressant (for anxiety about a specific issue) on and off for over 20 years. There is no question that it helps. The pills have never led me to gain weight. If anything I feel less hungry on them. I agree that if you don't eat more, you won't gain. The antidepressant I take -- the only one that works for me -- does have two major side effects: fatigue (which requires me to sleep 2 hours more per day) and lack of sexual response. That's why I go on and off. I don't want to feel lethargic all the time, and my anxiety ebbs and flows.

HTH Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

I've been on a handful of different anti-depressants over the years, and have had varying results with each:

Zoloft- took it for about a year, as a teen. I didn't gain or lose any weight, but it made me psychotic. Hearing voices, seeing things, etc.

Wellbutrin- (also as a teen) took for a few months, no real effect.

Lexapro- (teen) made me RAVENOUS. ALL. THE. TIME. I gained 30+ pounds in a few months. Made me feel better, but getting fat made me feel worse. So not the best trade off.

Cymbalta- (teen) I felt alright on this one, and it actually suppressed my appetite for awhile. Took it for about a year as well.

Effexor- (current/adult) I've only been taking it for a few weeks, but I'm feeling somewhat better. My appetite is suppressed in that sometimes, I'm too nauseous to eat. It's not as bad as it was the first few days- SMELLING food would make me want to puke. Now I just have a little bit of nausea, every few days. Usually at night, if I wait too long to take it.

So... that's my novel. Sorry about that! lol
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/193/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry to hear that you are going thru a break-up... that is never easy. It sounds like you deserve to be treated much better, and believe me, there ARE more fish in the sea. You will get thru this, and you will feel that love again with someone who appreciates you.

I am currently debating on going BACK ON anti-depressants. I've taken several different ones (maybe 6 or 7) over the past 15 years, but have not been on a daily antidepressant for a couple years now. I didn't take it for depression though, they were prescribed for my panic attacks and OCD.

First off... every antidepressant effects everyone very differently... For example: The very 1st antidepressant I ever took was Paxil. I gained 35 lbs in the 1st 5 months on it! As it turns out, back then pharmaceutical reps called it "Pack it on with Paxil"! But, my mom takes it now and she's actually lost weight. It all depends on chemistry I suppose. (Or maybe it's improved in the last 15 years). I have taken some that have had zero effect (generic Prozac), but my grandma take them and she feels great! I have also taken some that definitely helped how I was feeling and helped me get thru whatever I was going thru at the time without freaking out. lol.

My advice: talk to the Dr. that your therapist refers you to. Explain your concerns and ask lots of questions. They are there to help and won't intentionally steer you wrong! Even if you take them short term, they might help in the long run.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you
KalliJo is offline   Reply With Quote