Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default Pattie's Homemade Greek Yogurt

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/79274604/Ho...k%20Yogurt.png

This is how I make my Greek Yogurt. My kids inhale it with berries and granola. Posting for you Phase 3-ers out there! Enjoy! So easy, less expensive than store bought, and it's like comparing fresh garden tomatoes to in store Feb. tomatoes! LOL! Once you start making your own yogurt you won't go back to store bought! And you don't need a yogurt maker! Let me know if the link doesn't work, its my first time sharing from my dropbox!

Last edited by mompattie; 08-21-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Typos
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #2  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post

This is how I make my Greek Yogurt. My kids inhale it with berries and granola. Posting for you Phase 3-ers out there! Enjoy! So easy, less expensive than store bought, and it's like comparing fresh garden tomatoes to in store Feb. tomatoes! LOL! Once you start making your own yogurt you won't go back to store bought! And you don't need an over maker! Let me know if the link doesn't work, its my first time sharing from my dropbox!
ooooh awesome!! saved this!!
question, since its only milk...couldn't we have it on phase 1 if we only use the equivalent of 2 oz in the place of our milk allotment???
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #3  

You know, I'm not really sure of the nutritional facts, as it's homemade. There would only be the sugar of the milk, as I add ZERO sugar. So....yes, I would say that we could have a bit as Phase 1 in lieu of the morning milk. I had about 1/2 a cup this morning after being sick, it felt good to have something soft and with good bacteria in it! There's also quite alot of protein in Greek Yogurt as it is concentrated. And less carbs than regular yogurt!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #4  

I have found a great recipe for whole wheat banana choc. chip muffins that I make with the leftover Whey. The kids love them! Oh, and did I mention that I grind my own wheat? I grind an ice cream pail at a time and keep it in the freezer as it goes rancid quick. The kids love the muffins and they have a tartness from the whey! I had been dumping it down the sink but no more!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Thanks mom, haven't tried it YET but it's cause I've been busy with life...it's on my list of things to do and I'm putting it on my fridge so it's always in my face!

You're doing AWESOME! Keep up the great WORK!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #6  

Have a great trip to Scotland Ish!!! You will have to try it when you get home!!! Happy travels!! And thanks!!!

Last edited by mompattie; 08-21-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #7  
Feed Your Freedom

have fun in scotland ishbel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #8  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I have found a great recipe for whole wheat banana choc. chip muffins that I make with the leftover Whey. The kids love them! Oh, and did I mention that I grind my own wheat?
ok Pattie.. now I feel unworthy. You GRIND YOUR OWN WHEAT? I feel like a character in the Little Red Hen story, but I'm the one who wants to show up and eat your great cooking.... And I was feeling grumpy about there being extra dishes to wash with all my grinding and chopping IN A BLENDER....

I'm humbled...

Thanks for the fab pictures and explanation.

NSV for me today: I printed off all the great recipes lately and have made a "binder" so I can search at leisure and not have to remember where everything is. As Rainbow (I believe) would say.... WOOOOT WOOOT
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #9  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
ok Pattie.. now I feel unworthy. You GRIND YOUR OWN WHEAT? I feel like a character in the Little Red Hen story, but I'm the one who wants to show up and eat your great cooking.... And I was feeling grumpy about there being extra dishes to wash with all my grinding and chopping IN A BLENDER....

I'm humbled...

Thanks for the fab pictures and explanation.

NSV for me today: I printed off all the great recipes lately and have made a "binder" so I can search at leisure and not have to remember where everything is. As Rainbow (I believe) would say.... WOOOOT WOOOT
hey...that HAPPY DANCE looks sooooooooooo good on you!!
WOOT WOOT!!

i also agree with you...i am in
TOTAL AWE OF MOMHOTTIE!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #10  

LMAO! It's super easy. I have a grain mill, I buy cleaned high protein wheat by the bushel. What can I say? I'm a Saskatchewan girl!!! I love baking whole grain muffins/cookies for my boys (when I do bake and it's been rare since IP). But knowing I can put in healthier grains I feel better in offering baking to the, as a treat.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #11  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

This is how I make my Greek Yogurt. My kids inhale it with berries and granola. Posting for you Phase 3-ers out there! Enjoy! So easy, less expensive than store bought, and it's like comparing fresh garden tomatoes to in store Feb. tomatoes! LOL! Once you start making your own yogurt you won't go back to store bought! And you don't need a yogurt maker! Let me know if the link doesn't work, its my first time sharing from my dropbox!
Love it! I make a lot of whole grain recipes for my family. I don't grind my own, though! What temp do you set the oven on to warm the oven?
SewingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #12  

I set the oven to 350 for NO LONGER than a minute to just take the chill off. Shut the oven off but leave the light on! Good luck!

Last edited by mompattie; 08-21-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #13  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I set the oven to 350 for NO LONGER than a minute to just take the chill off. Shut the oven off but leave the light on! Good luck!
Thanks. I'm going to make this for my kids!
SewingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #14  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
LMAO! It's super easy. I have a grain mill, I buy cleaned high protein wheat by the bushel. What can I say? I'm a Saskatchewan girl!!! I love baking whole grain muffins/cookies for my boys (when I do bake and it's been rare since IP). But knowing I can put in healthier grains I feel better in offering baking to the, as a treat.
Good for you for making tougher choices for your kids' benefit. Having said that, I confess I buy cheese strings, packaged granola bars etc. just 'cause it's easier. But after my zucchini chip fiascos, you may appreciate that for me, Nutrigrain bars or something are a safer bet for my kids! LOL But hey, now that I'm experimenting with all this IP cooking, they'll probably be taking turnip muffins and jicama chip cookies to school before long! ...
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #15  

LMAO! Oh we still have Nutrigrains and granola bars here too!!! LMAO sooo funny jicama chip cookies. That made me giggle!! We'd be known as the crazy moms at school if we sent that!