Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #1  

Default Trader Joes's or Cosco?

I am so excited since it looks like we are now getting a Trader Joes's AND a Cosco in Baton Rouge!!! Right now we just have Sam's. I have heard so much about them and have never been in either so I am just curious as to which one do you like best out of the two, Trader Joe's or Cosco, and why?
GramEGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #2  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

They are both great.

Costco has items in bulk and large quantities. So I buy my berries there. I also now buy my yogurt there and half and half. We also sometimes get meat there.

When I was sizing down I also used to buy t-shirts as it was easy to pick up one or two when grabbing meat and vegetables. We buy the big, big bags of spinach there since we eat so much of it.

Oh and recently we bough a Ninja blender that was a good price.

Trader Joes is great. It's a small grocery store that we have been going to for years. They are great for packaged foods. They also have good prices for their spices. We don't go there as much since we eat mostly meat and veggies. Which they do have. And they are good. Just smaller amt. I have been to Trader Joes in several states and they are always friendly and happy. Love them. They are just not close to us anymore.

Costco is good for bulk items, meats, veggies and fruits. You can also get clothes and things for the kitchen.

Trader Joes is a nice small grocery store with good quality items. They are great for packaged foods. Good prices.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Height: 5'4"

I saw an article about Trader Joe's but didn't know about Cosco. Where is it going to be located?
SewingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

I love trader joe's, but unfortunately not everything they sell is particularly healthy (unprocessed, low fat, low sugar, or low to moderate calories). For that reason, I generally prefer whole foods, which because of its philosophy, does tend to offer significantly more options on the low-cal/healthier side of things.

Last edited by kelly315; 07-22-2012 at 12:22 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #5  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Personally, i love TJs, but havent been there since starting IP since they havent opened up the Plano store yet (went there when I lived in Boston & Tucson though)...but soon, and when i am in P4, they are opening up a TJs close to our house! Not really a Costco person, we mainly hit up H-E-B Central Market, a Texas grocery similar to Whole Foods...they have The Best produce and meat & seafood selection.

Last edited by LizRR; 07-22-2012 at 12:31 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #6  

SewingMaMa I heard it is going to be around the Coca Cola Plant on Airline.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #7  

Thanks for everyone's input, I thought they were kind of the same the thing but now realize they are not. Looking forward to checking them both out since I have always heard so much about both!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Costco is also good for household items such as washing detergert, cleaning supplies, coffee, vitamins, you can also have prescriptions filled, lots of things but they do sell everything in larger quantities , at excellent prices. Trader Joes is not a super market, they do not carry major brands as a rule but what they have is excellent and well priced. I get bananas there,, they are the cheapest anywhere. I also get fresh vegies, frozen foods sometimes, bread, coffee, it is an interesting store. I go there about once a month, Costco less often but what I buy at Costco lasts longer because of the larger size. They do have good meats and vegies also.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #9  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramEGail View Post
SewingMaMa I heard it is going to be around the Coca Cola Plant on Airline.
Thanks. They're also opening an upscale local (whole foods-like) supermarket on old Perkins and highland. I can't remember the name of it, but I can't wait because it's closer to me than whole foods!
SewingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #10  
On IP Since 5/25/12

S/C/G: 174/156/130

Trader Joe's is great for pre-prepped food. That's great you are getting both. I never seem to get as many veggies at Costco. They seem to have mostly fruit.
shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

I was spoiled by having both nearby at my last home. I would go to Trader Joe's to get free trade, shade grown coffee beans, unsweetened cranberry juice (which I would dilute 1 part juice to 7 water and sip all day), special desserts when I had dinner parties since they have lovely desserts which can serve 4 or 6. They have a frozen french chocolate mousse cake which I served more than any other dessert. They also have small frozen portions of interesting ethnic foods (appetizers and main courses) so during those nights when we were too tired to make dinner, would just pull out one of these.

While its not great to eat these prepackaged meals on a routine basis, we still do it on those really busy days. Costco has a couple we like: Morton's pot roast and braised lamb shank.

Note, both stores always have special, limited time availability of certain foods and we've always enjoyed these. TJ's has special spice and pumpkin bread mixes around Thanksgiving, Costco brings in David's Cookie Company and offers a choice of 7 special frozen desserts (choc truffle cheesecake, mango tart, chocolate chip fudge cake with graham cracker crust, etc.). When I see these, I usually buy 2 and keep these carefully frozen. They serve perhaps 14 + people. However, on any given day, Costco sells their lattice crusted apple pie, which is really good. My mom and sisters are masterful pie bakers - I think this pie equals theirs.

Lucky you, having both nearby!

Last edited by Chloe222; 07-23-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #12  

sewingmomma, I heard the Trader Joe's was going to be at Perkins and Acadian. I haven't heard about Cosco yet. That's exciting!
WhoDat730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I don't see them on the same playing field. Costco's is more like Sam's. A large box store. I prefer Costco's over Sam's. Great selection. Trader Joe's is okay, but forgettable.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #14  

Thumbs up Costco vs Trader Joes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramEGail View Post
I am so excited since it looks like we are now getting a Trader Joes's AND a Cosco in Baton Rouge!!! Right now we just have Sam's. I have heard so much about them and have never been in either so I am just curious as to which one do you like best out of the two, Trader Joe's or Cosco, and why?
We like Costco for quanity (and they have good meat,fish and produce). Trader Joes for the organic things. The two stores are totally different as you will see and enjoy.
countrygirl7832 is offline   Reply With Quote