General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #1  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

Default Switching to a technical program?

^I'm talking about an associate in science/technical program. Can't edit the title now.

I started out in a 2-year college, not really sure what to do with my life. I'm not that far away from an A.A. degree, and I enrolled in the honors program for next semester. I figured the honors credits would look good for when I transferred to a 4-year college.

Now I'm starting to think I might like to become a library technician, which requires another 2-year degree (minus the generals I've done) at another school. There is no B.S. for this field, only a Masters (to become a "real" librarian.) I'd have to do about 3 more semesters of school to earn this technical degree. At that point, it almost feels like I could be getting a B.S. in something or another.

I guess my confusion is about whether I should finish my general education (or at least nab those honors credits--if they really matter?) just in case, or switch gears altogether. I'm not really even set in what I want to do... I'd like to keep my 4-year option open, but doing everything just starts to feel expensive and redundant to me. I'm used to being poor. I guess I'm also reluctant to drop out of my current school because I was looking forward to my classes.

Can I even transfer generals credits to a 4-year if I used them towards a technical degree?? Ugh. So confused. I guess I've done enough that I could easily make up for those few...?

I've just never known what to do with my life...at all...whatsoever.

Last edited by Astrild; 07-20-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Most "general" classes will transfer ie, English, math, etc. If you really want to know what will transfer and you have a 4 year school in mind possibly, I would talk to an adviser from that school. That's really the only way to be sure.

Now for the tough part which may be rough to hear. I have found that AA degrees don't really get you that much unless they are very specialized (technical) For example, a 2 year degree in computer programming will likely get you a decent job where an AA in general studies or general business will probably not. I'm not saying never - just probably.

I don't know much about the job outlook of library science, so it's probably worthwhile looking into that before committing thousands of dollars to it.

If you are sure you don't want to continue on with school at the 4 year level, then a technical degree is probably a better choice than general studies. If you're thinking of a 4 year degree, taking the most transferable classes you can is probably the best route.

Either way, it sounds like maybe you should set up a discussion with your adviser at your current school to talk things over.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Is there any way you could shadow a library technician to see if this is what you really want to do?

Otherwise if you're very close to finishing your degree you might be better off just doing that. That way if you change your mind you still have your Associate's to apply to a Bachelor's but you can also get a second Associate's in a year or so.

My fiance is doing something similar. He got his Associate's in liberal arts two years ago and decided he wanted to do culinary arts instead. While he wishes he just knew that from the getgo, he can at least get this new associate's in a year or a year and a half because of the credits earned from his previous degree.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It has been what seems like ages but I worked in libraries in high school and in college. When times weren't tough, you could often get an entry level library job just by showing some interest. Now days are tougher, I know MS Library Science and PhD Library Science people that are having a rough time finding even an entry level job or keeping the job they have. Your job is often based on the whim of the local city council (for public libraries). I've seen libraries shut down, reduced hours and severely reduced staffing. One school I know got rid of an entire library that they had in favor of offering online content and the option of requesting books that were delivered to you/pick up location.

These days libraries seem to be less about books and more about community services. So you may be required to provide technical computer support to patrons as well as traditional library support services. I'd recommend some computer classes for that reason alone.

I know it is rough out there and it is hard when you don't know what you want to do. I'm not sure library work is the way to go though. I personally fear for the future of our libraries and I'd hate to see them go or change drastically but the future isn't very bright for them. If you are determined, I'd definitely look into shadowing a librarian, talk to the librarian and then look at your options for getting a higher level degree vs a technical degree.

As for college credits, as long as you earn them at an accredited school, they should transfer to any other school. Some for-profit schools have their own accreditation which don't transfer to other schools but as long as you stick to community colleges and state schools, you'll be fine.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Sorry I don't have any advice just hit home because my daughter is going thru the same right now. She wanted to be a librarian and now that she is a year from her bachelors is rethinking everything and going a totally different direction. So many libraries are closing and she is afraid there will be no jobs by the time she does another few years. If she goes that route she has another 4 years to go depending on what she actually does. It's sad that one goes to school for so long to better their self and not even sure there will be a job when done.

Lots of luck to you
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote