General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Default Is there any possible way I can make this healthy?

I'm going on a road trip this weekend. There will be 10 other people coming along, and one thing I know for sure is that it will be unavoidable that I'll have to go for fast food at some point.

Now, I absolutely HATE fast food. I've been avoiding it like the plague since I decided it was time to get healthier. That being said, there's not going to be a lot of options (especially on the drive down, which is an 8 hour car ride), so I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and eat wherever we stop. Most likely McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell etc...

Is there ANY way that I can make this not totally, disgustingly counter-productive for my diet? Do they have any health options?
aeyesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When I am forced to do that, I will order a hamburger and not eat the bun, I ask for a fork or bring one along and eat it that way. Most fast food restaurants offer salads, do not put dressing on the salad, I dip my fork in the dressing and then the salad, that cuts down on calories. If you are near a store get some non fat yogurt or fresh fruit. You could take along some protein bars .
By the way fast food restaurants will not think you are weird if you don't want the bun, people who do not eat grains do it all the time.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

Is it possible to bring along a cooler with some healthier snacks for yourself (and others if they want)? That way when you do stop to eat you wont be as hungry and can eat less of the junk?
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Just look up the nutrition info for these restaurants and find the lower calorie options. Taco bell has the drive thru diet which has some lower calorie, lower fat options. I usually eat the southwest salad at mcdonald's with a little of the southwest dressing. Subway is another good option, too. I also find, at least in my area, that convenience stores are starting to offer more options for fruit and salad, some yogurt and occasionally protein shakes.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

There are pretty healthy options at fast food joints. Look up the nutritional info for various fast food places and have one or two go-to meals for each one.

My current go-to favorite is the Berry Almond Chicken Salad at Wendy's, sans dressing
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/190/150

Height: 5'6

I think most if not all fast food places offer healthy menu options so as long as you stick with those options and stay away from the soda (my problem), you should be good! Good Luck
shanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #7  
Excavation in Progress

S/C/G: 215/*ticker*/135

Height: 5' nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMomma View Post
Is it possible to bring along a cooler with some healthier snacks for yourself (and others if they want)? That way when you do stop to eat you wont be as hungry and can eat less of the junk?
I was thinking the same, including picking up items along the way to make your own wraps and other meals. Even convenience stores now carry a lot of grocery items, albeit pricey. I'm the same way and will eat from our local fast food chain, Dick's only once a year if that.

Last edited by archychick; 07-04-2012 at 03:13 PM.
archychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

That's a good idea, though I'm not sure if I'd be able to fit a cooler in the car (since we're sorta "clown-car"ing it)

I've never had a salad from a fast food restaurant. I'll have to try that!
aeyesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I'd bring snacks and a meal that you made yourself. I'm not sure what you eat, but I often go on day trips with friends and have packed everything from a natural peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread to quinoa pilaf for my meal, and I always pack water is my SS bottles so I am not tempted to buy a soda or iced tea. They make these little soft-sided coolers that are basically designed as a lunch box- they have that aluminum lining that reflects heat or cold back and I always toss my lunch in one of those with a gel cold pack from the freezer and it keeps it cold for hours. When you're done with the cooler, you just roll it up.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-04-2012 at 04:49 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #10  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

Chick-fil-a has some really great low calorie options. I eat there a lot.
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 417/353.6/250

Height: 5'3

My DH is big on fast food, i simply have it with out the bun, my favorite is jack n the box's double cheese burger, its basically meat, cheese, mustard and ketchup. I LOVE IT!!! but i know that McDonalds does it and burger king does it too, if you do eat carbs and looking for something subway is a good option, i usually just eat the meat lettuce cheese and mayo
ALG918 is offline   Reply With Quote