Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Default Getting in a routine..

So I've been at the dieting new eating habits for 3 1/2 months only lost 33 lbs but I'm worried I've stalled out on losing weight cause the challenge is gone, im such a creature of habit that I don't really think about tempting foods and I just do my day to day, like... I quit smoking last September and the first bit was hard as was this new way of eating, now I don't event think about smoking it's eh. As the same with food I don't even think about it I just log my food calories and exercise and I'm done... But I'm worried that since it isn't a challenge for my body, that I'm going to continue to stall and not lose weight as fast... This probably makes no sense, hopefully ones whose been at this for a while will understand..
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There is no "only" about losing 33 lbs in in 3.5 months. Ten pounds a month (roughly) is amazing weight loss.

Your weight loss may slow, but that's normal. If your weight stalls you can create NEW habits (though remember it's really not a stall until the weight hasn't moved for six weeks or more, because a lot of people lose in "whooshes"," just as an example, some people will instead of losing 1 lb every week, might lose 6 lbs overnight once every month or two). And even if you're not a "whoosher" now, that can change at any point.

The pace of weight loss isn't nearly as important as keeping it off. Faster isn't always better (and it isn't always possible). Though what works today may not work tomorrow or next month -- so if you're not happy with your weight loss, you can try to lose more by changing some things - increasing exercise, decreasing calories, experimenting with different macronutrient proportions (such as higher fiber, lower-carb)....

If you're prepared to deal with whatever happens, and are willing to adjust your strategies, you don't have to worry about what will happen if your weight loss stalls - you'll already have planned for it.

So keep doing what you're doing, but have a back-up plan if what you're doing isn't working any more (and decide what you're going to define as not working anymore).

Be careful though of thinking that you must lose at a certain rate of speed to be successful. Most of us tend to overestimate what is realistic, so we expect freakishly rapid weight loss rather than typical weight loss. Typical weight loss is actually quite slow. Getting the two pounds per week, every week is often impossible even for folks with a lot of weight to lose.

Personally my rate of weight loss has only been about 1 lb per month (it's now a bit more than that). I could have lost faster if I'd been able and willing to do more, but I chose comfort over speed. I'm glad I did, because the weight loss has seemed virtually effortless (and I can't say that for the previous three decades of dieting).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #3  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I had the same issue. I get a high off the first month and a half and then get bored. This time though, I gamified the experience with a fitbit and it's working better for me. I compete against my friends and we formed a support group. Also, if you have the resources, checking in with a nutritionist on occasion helps keep you in check.
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

33lbs over 3 1/2 months is great, I think most people get random stalls etc. I would say, if it's not broken don't fix it. It sounds like your method is working with your weight loss so far and also quitting smoking.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote