Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Understanding a healthier lifestyle - what did you learn?

I've always seen the logic in eating healthy, I knew what the benefits were, it all made sense to me. And yet for some reason, I still always wanted junk food. All day. All night. Until after my healthier lifestyle change, I think this is when I truly understood the damage I did all those years. I think anyone whos been on a "restrictive" caloric intake for the day knows that nobody wants to waste calories on empty, non-filling foods. When you're hungry, you grab whatever will make you full, tastes pretty good, and doesn't completely kill your day (in terms of weight loss). I used to eat sweets, fried foods, etc when I was hungry, and when you're hungry, those things just make the most sense to eat. Especially when they're within arms reach.. but now I think: why am I stopping my hunger pains with sweets and garbage when other things can do the same thing and is better for me? I'm HUNGRY, I'm not CRAVING anything. Sweets are just for taste, they're for when you really want and miss that peanut butter cup, and are NOT hungry, just want the taste. Junk food should just never be eaten on an empty stomach ever, it's not your cravings talking, its your body telling you it's hungry!

This is something that is just mindblowing to me and now I understand how I gained so much weight... Hungry? I'll grab that yummy muffin. And the sad part is you dont even know you're hungry. Gah so glad I gained so much knowledge and perspective in a year. This is probably my absolute most favorite difference in me, and this includes me dropping 35lbs.

What is the #1 thing you've learnt about yourself after the change?
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

I never considered myself an emotional eater until I started planning my meals a week in advance. Then I'd catch myself thinking "Wow, I just ate lunch. I wish I could have a second serving because boyfriend was horrid today" or something.

Also learned that I DO feel better when I drink water ._. even though I can't stand it.

Oh and I realized that I'm actually overweight, ha! It took me losing 40 pounds to realize I was really quite large.
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #3  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I've learned that healthy or not, I'm a creature of habit. That includes having either a negative or positive outlook that affects everything I do. Once I get going with the more positive outlook and the healthier habits, it's easy to keep. The hard part is getting started and taking the time and effort to make them established.

I used to want to eat all the time, always being preoccupied with food. I'd be eating breakfast and would overeat while in anticipation of what I might have for lunch, dinner and snacks. I do believe I've dealt with both a physical and psychological addiction, but I think I've overcome them with a lot of hard work. These days I make a healthy choice when it's time for a meal, watch my portions, and don't let the food control me anymore. I'm just amazed that I've reached the point that I feel good enough about myself to not automatically reach for the cookies on a bad day, yet can still allow myself an occasional treat without having a guilt trip over it.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #4  
Just watch me ...

Kinda like your 'ah ha'....I've learned to eat real food. I've realized how much crap I've put into my system over the years Just to assuage deep unhappiness (which I've since dealt with). I've learned to not be afraid of being hungry - just eat something healthy. I've learned that I am not a 'bottomless pit'.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I finally realized that the "mainstream" advice didn't work well for me. I avoided low-carb and paleo diets because in my mind, they were "extreme" and "unhealthy."

When my doctor recommended trying low-carb (but not going too low - though admitting he had no idea what was too low), I was skeptical, but I started experimenting.

I thought I had tried everything, I really did. But what it turns out I hadn't tried is low-but-not-too-low-carb. I also hadn't learned to make small, comfortable changes - or to accept slow, gradual weight loss. I hadn't learned to define slow success as any kind of success at all.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

These are good - I do think you have to learn some things to be successful at this, to learn how to work around some basic facts about yourself (which are different for different people) - there are habits you can change, and there are personality traits you have to learn to work with.

These are mine:

* I learned that I enjoy recreational eating and will always enjoy recreational eating. Instead of trying to change that about myself I learned how to make on-plan food delicious, incredibly flavorful, and fun. I used to be a decent recreational cook but over the nearly three years of my weight loss process I have become a very good cook of wonderfully flavorful, satisfying, relatively low-calorie food.

* I learned that what leads me to the worst decisions, food-wise, is being hungry and having the opportunity to look around and say, "hm, what sounds good to me right now?" Browsing take-out choices or menus when I'm hungry is dangerous. I need to have on-plan food choices easily available to me when I get hungry. This takes planning. I prepare meals on the weekend so that when I get home tired and hungry during the week I don't have to do a lot of prep to have a delicious, flavorful dinner ready for me. I have go-to orders at the restaurants I go to most often, and a plan of attack for other restaurants, so I don't just browse the menu and pick what sounds good.

* I learned that it is often easier for me to just pass up something delicious and tempting, than it is to eat just a little of it. Once I start, it's very hard to stop. I can go to a cocktail party and eat absolutely none of the snacks or appetizers served there. It's easier for me than tasting one and stopping. I don't feel "deprived" because I think (personally) that it's out of proportion to use the language of deprivation to describe the feeling of passing up a cupcake when others are enjoying them. The very fact that I live in a place and time where such treats are so readily available to me is proof that nothing remotely like deprivation is any part of my experience.

* I learned that I don't have to take advantage of every single eating opportunity. It's very rare that a treat I'm being offered is going to be the last of its kind I ever will see. Just because it's someone's birthday and I'm being offered cake, I don't have to eat it this time. There will be other birthdays and other cakes.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Carter - Are we related? I could have written you post.

One thing I'd add to all this is I learned that THIS is the way we are supposed to eat.

I get so tired of people saying, "Oh, yeah, Lin doesn't eat - whatever it is they're pushing at the moment - anymore." Why doesn't anyone comment about my one friend who won't eat any (none, zip, zero) fruits or veggies?

Or, "When are you going to start eating normal food again?" What's not normal about what I eat?

Or, my personal favorite, "Do you plan to eat like this forever?" Well, Yeah, I'm trying to eat this way forever. That was the whole idea.

We've learned a lot. Our friends are still playing catch up for the most part. Interesting thread.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I've learned that I ate a lot of calorie dense foods unnecessarily. There are so many ways to make great, yummy, filling foods without all the extra junk!

I learned to question what I buy and what I consume. What is it made of? How will it help my body or not?

I've learned that success is making small, healthy choices in diet and exercise...over and over and over.

I've learned that the struggles are soooooo worth the results.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #9  

Ahh all so true, and linjber I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm tired of people treating me like I'm some monster because I'm eating "healthy." People need to realize that maybe they're the ones that aren't doing it right.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 132/100/100

Height: 5'1

* I learned that my portion sizes previously were far too big. There is no way I need to eat a whole pizza by myself.

* I learned to tell the difference between being slightly peckish and real hunger. Being slightly peckish is okay for me. Being actually hungry is not.

* I learned that tv can be watched without a snack! I don't need cake everytime I turn the tv on or chips or chocolate.

* I learned how to make healthier choices when I eat out and, if I want something naughty, that I can as long as I keep control of my portions. Don't eat that whole slice of cake. Eat half of it and share. Sharing is caring!

* Related to portion size, I've learnt self control. Sometimes I'll feel like I want more but I tell myself that half a pizza is fine and after awhile, I tend to forget about it. (Although this weekend, I ended up having probably a pint of ice cream after an annoying day looking at property to buy).

* I've learnt not to beat myself up for bad choices. There's always a brand new day!
Kayriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayriel View Post

* I learned that tv can be watched without a snack! I don't need cake everytime I turn the tv on or chips or chocolate.
ahhhh this ones killer! I associate tv to food all the time. Same with studying! So now I just have to replace it with tea, trick my mouth into thinking I'm eating.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

I learned how to cook......!!!!!!!

I learned that I will NEVER stop craving or EATING pizza, burritos, chili, Quesidillas, and burgers and I LEARNED about myself that I was NOT willing to give them up under ANY circumstances. So I started to cook variations of ALL my favorites....and kept perfecting the recepies until I LOVED every meal and FELT like I was eating something LOADED WITH FAT and CARBS.

In the process, I learned to read labels of EVERYTHING, MEASURE every ingredient, and write down EVERY calorie, fat, and carb I was putting in my body. I learned about EVERY TYPE of protien along they way(how one burger patty can have 34 grams of fat and the leanest version of the same meat only had 6).

I definately LEARNED eating right, getting healthy and losing weight doesn't HAVE to be boring, tasteless, unappetizing foods that are NOT exciting and delicious!!!!! NEVER could have done this journey without learning to cook!
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote