Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #1  

Default ZSweet - Erythritol

I tried this sweetner that Whole Foods carries and really like it. I remember seeing something on here about Erythritol but don't remember if it was okay for us to use or not?
GramEGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #2  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Stevia is what is recommended...
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #3  

What about Truvia or Stevia in the raw?
GramEGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GramEGail View Post
I tried this sweetner that Whole Foods carries and really like it. I remember seeing something on here about Erythritol but don't remember if it was okay for us to use or not?
Checking with your coach is probably best. But, as I don't have one (on alternatives) I've done a lot of research on alcohol sugars to see which ones are most suitable. And erythritol is one of the best - it's very, very low on the glycemic index. If you google 'sugar alcohols' and look around a bit you'll no doubt run across a chart that shows all the sugar alcohols and their rating on the glycemic index.

Now - having said that - I do prefer stevia. It's been my sweetener of choice for years now. But I'd definitely use a product that contained erythritol with no qualms.

Last edited by evepet; 06-21-2012 at 09:05 AM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #5  

looking for acceptable candy to eat OP
found this, so I would assume candy with one of the non glucose affecting substances below (and 0% Carbs listed) would be ok

A sugar substitute is a food additive that tastes like sugar, but has either few or no calories. Sugar substitutes can be very useful to people with diabetes. Gillian Arathuzik, R.D., C.D.E., Nutrition Diabetes Educator, at Joslin Diabetes Center, goes over the basics of sugar substitutes and how they can impact your blood glucose levels when you have diabetes.
Artificial Sweeteners

Synthetic sugar substitutes are referred to as artificial sweeteners and have more intense sweetness than sugar. Artificial sweeteners have been controversial as to whether or not they pose any health risks, but so far no studies have conclusively found any and each sweetener is FDA approved. Some commonly used artificial sweeteners include:

Aspartame (Equal): 200 times as sweet as sugar. No effect on blood glucose levels.

Sucralose (Splenda): 600 times as sweet as sugar. Contains about 1 g carb per packet or teaspoon and could affect blood glucose levels if you consume a large quantity at one time.

Saccharin (Sweet ‘N Low): 300-500 times as sweet as sugar. No effect on blood glucose levels.

Acesulfame potassium (Sunett or Sweet One): 300 times as sweet as sugar. No effect on blood glucose levels.

Xylitol – Glycemic Index of 13

Sorbitol – Glycemic Index of 9

Erythritol – Erythritol is almost non-caloric (0.2 calories per gram) Glycemic Index of 0

Maltitol – Glycemic Index of 36

Handy table here

Natural sugar substitutes are known as sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols are typically less sweet than sugar and provide half the calories of sugar. They are used in many sugar-free products and energy bars. Since half the carbohydrate of sugar alcohols is not absorbed by the body, you can subtract half the sugar alcohol grams from the total carb grams when doing carb counting with diabetes.

Last edited by Raja; 06-24-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote