Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Any thoughts on Xenadrine for appetite control?

Has anyone tried the diet pill Xenadrine for appetite control? A co-worker said it helped him control his cravings, and I wanted to get some more feedback. I would not depend solely on it to lose weight, of course - just to give me that extra push beyond my current dieting and exercise (which had me lose a grand total of eight ounces in one month).
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I've taken it in the past. It didn't really control my cravings, but it did give me a bit of an energy boost as well as some jittery-ness.

I personally wouldn't recommend it and would never do it again. You can always look into natural herbs and vitamins to give you the boost you're looking for.

B-12, Sam-e.....good stuff.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
I've taken it in the past. It didn't really control my cravings, but it did give me a bit of an energy boost as well as some jittery-ness.

I personally wouldn't recommend it and would never do it again. You can always look into natural herbs and vitamins to give you the boost you're looking for.

B-12, Sam-e.....good stuff.
Well, I'm not looking for a boost. I'm looking for an appetite control measure if such a thing exists over-the-counter.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

It did control my appetite but I also got jittery and it made me feel weak. I did not like how I felt on it, so I stopped half way through the bottle.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Have you tried Cinnamon? It's great for appetite control and blood sugar regulation. You can find it pretty much anywhere, in the suppliment aisle.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I find exercise to be a wonderful appetite control!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I mentioned this in other threads, though it wasnt what you wanted to hear. If appetite control and cravings are your issue, starch and sugar are your problems. They cause real, physiological changes in your hormonal response to food that makes you want more of it, and more frequently. Slowly digesting, low-insulin-spiking foods are where it is at for eating comfortably and with no cravings on restricted calories. I can eat 2500 calories of mostly carbs and still be hungry, with rolling cravings throughout the day. On the other hand, I can eat 1400 calories of low starch/sugar/carb food and be full and satisfied for HOURS, with zero cravings throughout the day.

A chemical supplement isn't your issue, your current diet is! You are unwilling to fix it and yet regularly bemoaning the problems it is causing you with slow scale movement, hunger, cravings, etc. The truth is that these issues are entirely fixable, and with a fair bit of ease, but if you aren't ready or willing to do so then asking us to constantly suggest fixes FOR you is a waste of time.

If hunger and cravings are your problem, knowing your diet and weight, the types of foods you are eating is the cause and solution. It's that simple.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I mentioned this in other threads, though it wasnt what you wanted to hear. If appetite control and cravings are your issue, starch and sugar are your problems. They cause real, physiological changes in your hormonal response to food that makes you want more of it, and more frequently. Slowly digesting, low-insulin-spiking foods are where it is at for eating comfortably and with no cravings on restricted calories. I can eat 2500 calories of mostly carbs and still be hungry, with rolling cravings throughout the day. On the other hand, I can eat 1400 calories of low starch/sugar/carb food and be full and satisfied for HOURS, with zero cravings throughout the day.

A chemical supplement isn't your issue, your current diet is! You are unwilling to fix it and yet regularly bemoaning the problems it is causing you with slow scale movement, hunger, cravings, etc. The truth is that these issues are entirely fixable, and with a fair bit of ease, but if you aren't ready or willing to do so then asking us to constantly suggest fixes FOR you is a waste of time.

If hunger and cravings are your problem, knowing your diet and weight, the types of foods you are eating is the cause and solution. It's that simple.
You seem rather dogmatic that you have my problems pegged. The fact is that I eat very little sugar, and the only starchy thing I eat is mashed potatos maybe once a week; my diet is largely protein. If you want to offer advice, that's great. But just because you may think I'm doing it all wrong doesn't mean I'm obligated to do it your way. And if you don't like my posts - don't respond.

@ValRock, I had not heard of cinnamon as a way to curb hunger. If it's not too pricey, I may pick some up. I'm already dieting and exercising. Thanks!

Last edited by tricon7; 06-19-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
You seem rather dogmatic that you have my problems pegged. The fact is that I eat very little sugar, and the only starchy thing I eat is mashed potatos maybe once a week; my diet is largely protein. If you want to offer advice, that's great. But just because you may think I'm doing it all wrong doesn't mean I'm obligated to do it your way. And if you don't like my posts - don't respond.
You say that, yet have stated in several threads that you have an apple fritter from 7-11 every day and york peppermint patties very often. Hey, eat what you want! But the actual fact is you state in other threads other things than you just said here.

And the other fact is that if anyone says ANYTHING you don't want to hear you poo-poo it, and often times kind of lash out. People are just trying to help you, whether you like what they say or not.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post

I find this to be so true for myself!! I kept craving cookies at work for a few days, and I finally looked back at what I'd been eating before those cravings, and my protein intake was too low. I now have cheese sticks in the fridge, and the cookies sit there untouched!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
You say that, yet have stated in several threads that you have an apple fritter from 7-11 every day and york peppermint patties very often. Hey, eat what you want! But the actual fact is you state in other threads other things than you just said here.
I was eating those yummy apple fritters every morning - until I discovered they may contain up to 790 calories per fritter. They got ditched pretty quick. And once I dropped my calories, I only eat one peppermint patty a day. I just can't afford any more. So you see - the only sugary item I eat now is one PP, and it's only 140 calories. Just because I did things one way once before doesn't mean it's permanent. People can change.

Last edited by tricon7; 06-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #12  

I wouldnt.
cancersuckseggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I am unaware of any over the counter medication (or prescription) that can control hunger long term.

Generally speaking avoiding sugar and having a diet rich in protein, fat and fiber is the easiest way to control hunger.

As an FYI - if you've recently eliminated sugar from your diet I would give it a little time to see how you feel with your new dietary choices.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I was eating those yummy apple fritters every morning - until I discovered they may contain up to 790 calories per fritter. They got ditched pretty quick. And once I dropped my calories, I only eat one peppermint patty a day. I just can't afford any more. So you see - the only sugary item I eat now is one PP, and it's only 140 calories. Just because I did things one way once before doesn't mean it's permanent. People can change.
Never said they couldn't change. But you still missed the actual point of my post, again. I give up.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #15  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I could suggest what ive been using which is PGX...Its basically a pill designed to help stabalize blood sugar levels and reduce appetite...It wont take your appetite away..but ive been using it for the past week..You take it 20 minutes prior to eating...and its supposed to help you have an increased feeling of fullness so that you dont feel inclined to eat as much...Basically its a wack load of fibre of sorts in a pill..It expands in your stomach and gives you a feeling of more fullness..Ive been taking it and have been finding that its been helping me not crave as much and ive been finding that i have been feeling more full and eating less then normal at a sitting...However..just a disclaimer..it must be used with diet, exercise and willpower..Its not magic at all...

Im also pretty sure it has a similar effect to that of the cinnamon pills that Val was mentioning..Check it out online via google and see if its something to try..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote