Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #1  
imp

S/C/G: WLS 232/C 113/G 125

Height: 5'5"

Default One Month Post-Op

Well, a month ago today I had my mini-gastric bypass surgery (MGB) in Joplin, MO, with Dr. David Hargroder.

I've lost 23 pounds so far. I feel pretty good about that!

Since my surgery, I am off my blood pressure meds, off my asthma meds, off my CPAP for my sleep apnea. The only meds I take are my multivitamins, my Prilosec, and the Pepto-Bismol my surgeon prescribes for three months after surgery. I admit I am not always totally compliant with the Pepto

My intake is still not optimum. I do pretty well on fluids and protein most days, but getting to 64+ ounces and 60+ protein grams is a struggle on my new stomach. I have decided that this is just part of the process, and if I keep working on it, I'll get there.

A couple of days ago, I had my first real experience with dumping. I'd eaten the same cottage cheese with a little bacon I'd had for several days without a problem. This time, something went awry. I either ate too fast, or something about the bacon didn't work out, I'm not sure. I measure my intake so as not to overfill my new stomach (it's shaped like a sleeve, but my pyloric valve is gone.) Whatever happened, I was in agony for a couple of hours. It was not pretty.

Since then, I've eaten very little. I had a little dinner on Friday, and forgot to eat yesterday entirely until dinner. I just wasn't hungry at all, and nothing looked good, so I had two shrimp (went down okay) and a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. After that I didn't want any more. I see my surgeon tomorrow, but I'm not really concerned about my lack of intake, as long as I get my fluids and vitamins in.

I'm still a little low on energy and mental clarity some days. But I can feel the difference as the weeks go on - I have more productive days every week. Pretty soon I think I'm going to get an energy boost!

Next week, I'm going to measure again. Last time I measured I was down over 13 inches overall. I think I'm a little smaller now. Yay!

I'm so glad I had this surgery done. I feel like I'm getting my life back. This morning, I made peanut butter pancakes and bacon for hubby and the boy - and I didn't want any. Didn't even sound good. Smelled nice, but not nice enough to try a bite! It's amazing.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

I'm really happy to hear how successful your surgery was! 23 lbs in just a month is incredible. I really hope you keep updating 3fc with your progress. I personally haven't had this procedure done (nor do I plan to), but it's a great motivator for me to see someone succeed. I think you're gonna have to treat yourself to a new wardrobe soon!

I also think it's great that you're taking multivitamins, but don't forget to eat hun! You wanna make sure your bones stay nice and strong. Maybe you could set your phone to vibrate every 3 hours or so.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #3  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Success!!! Way to go! Not only a good chunk of weight down forever, but look at all those meds gone! I find my appitite wanes in the summer a lot, but I can imagine it really goes south if you have some dumping D:
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Since my surgery, I am off my blood pressure meds, off my asthma meds, off my CPAP for my sleep apnea.
This, to me, is the most amazing thing about most WLS procedures - doesn't t feel amazing to see how quickly your health is improving? I watch people argue (online, mostly ) all the time that it's the weight loss that causes the improvements in health, but you know what? I left the hospital on less than HALF the diabetes meds I was taking when I went in, and I hadn't lost ANY weight yet. And when I had lost some weight, I was still very much healthier than I had been the last time I'd been at that same weight - there's so much more at work here than just weight loss.

Please do try to remember to eat. I know it's hard when you really don't feel hungry or have an appetite, but if you don't eat, you'll never get your energy back - your body needs some fuel! And I would focus more on your fluid intake than your protein grams (though both are important, when you're so early out and struggling to get everything in, we need to prioritize). I ended up dehydrated about 4-6 weeks after my surgery, and it took IV fluids at the hospital to get me back on track. Lack of energy can be a symptom of dehydration, as can loss of appetite. Of course, these things are also just pretty typical after such a major surgery, but just something to keep an eye on.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #5  
imp

Thanks, y'all

It does feel good to know that my weight-loss tool is working. And while I wasn't off most of my meds immediately, I was off within a week. At first I was really sad, because most patients with MGB go off blood pressure meds the night before surgery or the morning of surgery, but I got over it within days, when my asthma seemed to completely resolve, my blood pressure fell into normal ranges, and my sleep apnea just went away.

I'm still not sure how all those processes can resolve so quickly, but I'm not a doctor - and I don't think even doctors fully understand all the metabolic changes that occur. Whatever, I'm cool with it.

One thing I have noticed - today my blood pressure was 112/91 and I was retaining a little fluid in my feet and ankles. To me that indicates I HAVE to meet my fluid goals no matter what, because I'm dehydrating and my body's hanging onto whatever sodium and water it gets. That's not cool, and I dislike hospitalizations. I'm gonna confess to my surgeon at my one month appointment tomorrow afternoon. With a huge bottle of G2 in my hand. I'm staying up late to get in more fluids tonight.

My appetite remained shot today. I have taken in 8 ounces of V-8, plus G2 and water, my vitamins, a mini-quesadilla I made with beans, cheese, and a 1/2 tortilla, and about two ounces of cottage cheese. That's it. So I'm kind of thinking Dr. H. and I need to have a chat, or he needs to kick my butt. Something.

By contrast, my dad is four months out from the same procedure. Today he ate some guacamole, half an enchilada, a couple of bites of tamale and finished it off with a couple of bites of ice cream, and that was just at lunch. He's not weighing right now, but he's down from a 44 waist to a loose 40. I cannot even imagine putting away that much food at one time - but Jilly, you're right. Priorities. I can't worry about food intake until I'm getting my fluids.

PS, Jilly - you doin' okay? You've been in my thoughts and prayers lately, such as they are.

PSPS - retrogirl - 12 days!! How YOU doin'?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm doing okay - thanks for asking Just keeping busy, mostly.

Are you not doing protein shakes at all? I know some docs don't recommend them and say you should get your protein from "real food," but this early out, the shakes can kill two birds with one stone since they are packed with protein plus are liquid.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #7  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
a mini-quesadilla I made with beans, cheese, and a 1/2 tortilla, and about two ounces of cottage cheese.
Groans...that sounds so nice lol. I went to my dad's for father's day...BBQ steak, lamb and tiramisu!! Evil people! lol! I had my broth. I loved the smell though.
They were sad I couldn't have it, but I told them "I don't need to eat the Mona Lisa to know it's amazing" LOL

11 lbs down! whoo hoo! I know this is probably water weight and will come back in the OR after I get fluids.

I second the shakes...it fills the gap when you don't want to eat at all plus hydrates.
There are some tempting flavors on this blog...she even makes protein ice cream *swoon*
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #8  
imp

Had my sort-of appointment today. As in, the office tried to call me to reschedule but I was already on the road and out of cell reception. So that was fun It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to the office, so I found out my doc was gone about the time I got there. Whoops.

I went to the office anyway, got weighed (yay!), and talked with the staff about the issues I'm having. I did not see my surgeon, so he and I will be doing a phone conference later, and of course I can call him whenever. My surgeon's staff is awesome, and took notes for my chart, listened to my concerns, and answered questions. They agree that oh yeah, I probably do need some hormone supplementation before I gnaw off a limb. I'm a little OCD and anxious lately. So I expect I'll get a prescription for a patch of some type very soon.

I do have protein shakes - I'm using Muscle Milk Light right now as it's lactose and gluten free with very low carbs. My doc's office says I can count these as both a liquid AND a meal, which is good. I'm not dehydrated on assessment, but the office is concerned about my lack of intake and suggested I might perhaps chill, and eat something five times a day, and monitor my fluids and mix 'em up a bit so I don't get bored and forget to drink.

Otherwise I am apparently doing very well and look good, and I'll call into the office in the morning and see what's up, and call Doc if he's not in surgery. Should be fun
Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #9  
Super Squish

S/C/G: 290/254/170

Height: 5'

I really wish I could give you a high five or something. That's is fabulous!
Not sure about those pancakes though. I would have wanted a lick.
Princess Squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #10  
imp

LOL, I actually attempted a bite of pancake the other day. Kiddo loves them and wanted them for dinner since he just had his braces tightened. I made 'em. Then I made myself a tiny one, really thin, with an over-easy egg on it.

The egg worked okay. The pancake, not so much. It just tasted like something I didn't want, so that was it for the pancake.

Yesterday in my new stomach: 1/3 cup cottage cheese with crumbled bacon (yessss, baconnnnn!). A slice of Havarti cheese. V8, G2 and water. Vitamins. My post-op Prilosec and Pepto. And about two ounces of grilled chicken leg. That's it. Felt like a huge eating day. I wasn't hungry, and I got my fluids in. If I had added a couple of protein shakes I'd have hit my protein goal.

Which reminds me: Click. Anyone like it? I have a sample coming.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 7"

Please keep sharing your experiences team. I go for surgery the end of August and I appreciate reading what went well and what didn't go so well. I am sure there are non-posters that get good input from reading what you post too. Thanks
in4life is offline   Reply With Quote