Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default I need to rant.

I am starving. I am so hungry I thought about taking a bite out of the wall as I passed by. Now- I don't know if this hunger is psychological or physical.
I have been on a plateau for more than 3 weeks now. I went down to whatever it says on my ticker for a few days. Then, it went back up to between 182-183. And it stayed. No matter what. I decreased calories, I increased calories, I calorie cycled, I carb cycled. I varied my workouts with HIIT and steady state cardio along with my intense circuit training. The only thing I got for all of this is sesamoiditis on my right foot. So now I'm approaching a month at 182-183 except for those few days. And I'm hungry. And I know it's likely not real hunger. So my next question is- for those of you going through this, what can I do? Intermittent fasting? I am so sick of seeing the 180's. I was hoping that by the end of this month I would be into the 170's. I can't even get excited about a change in my measurements. Those haven't changed, either. And I can't even blame TOM. I need something to get ME OUT OF THIS PLATEAU!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Eat a lot today and go back to normal tomorrow and see what happens.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

3 weeks really isn't a plateau, but I understand your frustration!! I was stuck at 136 for over three weeks before the scale started moving again (and it moved very fast). I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually the weight came off.

Have you lost inches?
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
3 weeks really isn't a plateau, but I understand your frustration!! I was stuck at 136 for over three weeks before the scale started moving again (and it moved very fast). I just kept doing what I was doing and eventually the weight came off.

Have you lost inches?
Unfortunately no inches lost, either, or I would super excited about that. Because that is the goal after all, to be smaller. It is encouraging that you had about the same amount of time, and then started losing again.What I'm hoping is my body's just playing mind tricks with the hunger, trying to get me to cave, because otherwise it knows I'm going to win.In a few days it will be a month, so I will just hang on and hope for the best. It's all I can do.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Personally, I would quit trying so many things. You say you have tried all those things while on a 3 week plateau. Which means you are NEVER in a constant place.

Go back to your baseline of what got you the first 30 lbs. Do an honest look as to are you still doing the same things possibly adjusted for newfound fitness. (e.g. if week one you did 20 minutes on the treadmill at 3 mph have you ramped it up so that it FEELS AT least as hard as it did then?). Are you sticking to your calories/macros that got you there or have you let it slide. Maybe you need to take the 30 lbs you lost and take 50 or 100 calories off to compensate, maybe not. And just ride it out a little longer.

This is when weight loss gets hard. Because plateaus happen and setbacks happen and clearly being so hungry you want to take a bite out of the wall isnt a lifetime maintainable status. So go back, take a deep breath, and settle in for the long haul.

Every 6 lbs or so I hit a mini plateau and every 12 lbs or so I hit a major plateau. That is how MY body works. Keep on keeping on

Last edited by ennay; 05-30-2012 at 02:45 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I also think perhaps stop changing so many things; keep things the same as when you were losing weight up until now, and after a few more weeks reeevaluate, if the scale still isn't moving. Take today and eat a little more, then get back to it tomorrow. It may help mentally more than anything.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I would reconsider your exercise routine because what you're doing at the gym could be a major source of your hunger.

Circuit training, for example, makes me VERY hungry. Not right after but a couple hours after I am STARVING. Thus, I prefer heavy lifting with low to moderate volume.

Cardio also makes me quite hungry. HIIT done correctly (very short time but very intense) is hunger neutral for me.

Just something to think about.

Also - you don't mention it but I assume you have your calories in check. (Otherwise you wouldn't be starving)

Finally - consider intermittent fasting. When I was trying to eat every 2-3 hours I never felt full and was always hungry. Less frequent but larger meals does the trick for me.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Do you count all your calories or just estimate? Do you eat foods/dishes where you have to guess at the calories, or is everything labled or weighed accurately? I've found that many plateaus are due to underestimating one's food intake somehow.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #9  

As long as you're doing everything correctly (calculating your calories, exercising regularly, getting plenty of water), there's nothing you can do about it but wait.

It is possible that this hunger you're experiencing is psychological, are you craving any particular foods? I'd say try and eat until you are full and maybe eat less often as opposed to having smaller and more frequent meals, that might work better for you. Plateaus can be extremely frustrating and they can last longer than a month, so just hang in there and hide the scale for a while.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #10  
110lbs BustedOff/more2go

S/C/G: 330/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

rant away baby...rant away
getting it out is better than stuffing food in
justanotherchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #11  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm so there with you. It doesn't help that in between all of my hard work, I have set backs. Stick with it and keep going. You can't stay there forever.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote