Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #1  
God answers prayers!

S/C/G: 188/164/135

Height: 5'4

Default Why does this happen?

This is how my weightloss has been.... I will lose 3 or 4 lbs for a couple of days, then gain back 2 and then lose the 2 plus a couple of more... sigh... I was stuck at 170 for a while, now I am back at 171????? I just want to get to the 160's because I haven't been there since I had my youngest boy! sigh... I'm really frustrated and on some days I'm super hungry and want to give in....but I don't... I can't give up, I know...but why does it take so long... sigh.... Thank you all for letting me rant... It has been almost two months and all I have lost is 18 lbs.. A friend of mine lost 40lbs in only 4 months...what am I doing wrong?.
cbressler1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

You're doing better than me! I started on 3/10/12 and have lost 18 lbs. Don't get discouraged. It will happen. I have been gaining and losing the same few pounds for awhile now, and while it's really starting to piss me off, I am not going to quit because I know when I am below 180 I will be super excited. And there's only one way to get there-DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow, your post made me kind of sad. You are doing incredibly well! Losing 18 lbs. in 2 months is actually spectacular. Losing 40 lbs. in 4 months is like 10 lbs a month and you have lost 9 lbs. a month. Do you really think 1 lb. per month difference is the gap between great success and failure? I want to reach out and hug you and help you understand that weight loss is not linear. There are many water fluctuations and you need to focus on the big picture. Also, not everyone can drop weight as fast as on the biggest loser show. That's not reality. Typically, if you go to extreme measures, you will regain so this is a situation where slow and steady (or kind of steady) wins the race. Does that make sense? Please look at this stuff in a positive light and try to focus on your accomplishments. Also, don't compare yourself to anyone else. Who the heck knows...there could be a whole bunch of reasons for why one person loses X amount of weight, another loses nothing and another loses 2X the weight. Just focus on your plan and as long as it works for you (and it clearly does), then no need to despair. It didn't take 2 months for you to gain weight and you won't lose it all in 2 months either. Believe me, I understand how eager we can get to lose it all fast but just be patient and you WILL get there!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I totally echo Luckymommy and Brandis' posts- you are doing great! 18lbs in 8 weeks comes out to be about 2.25lbs a week! That's awesome. You cannot compare the rate of your losses with others' because there are SO many variables (age, height, metabolism, genetics, etcetc.) Focus on your own. I can't remember how long it took me to lose 40lbs but it certainly wasn't in less than 4 months. Does that make me a failure? No.

I totally understand the "get it all off me now" mindset because I have those moments every now and then. Don't give up and keep going.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #5  
God answers prayers!

I thank you all! I'm just so tired of being fat... People who haven't seen me in a long time are like....oh, you are fat now? they don't say it, but you can see it in their eyes... ...and at my last job a lady would call me fat all of the time... I just want to be a normal size... I hate feeling gross... You all are really encouraging.. My mother even called me obese the last time I saw her about a year ago..
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

BAM! Chart time!

My weight loss chart. I weighed in every day and recorded it and made a pretty chart. It's off by 10lbs because my scale was weighing me in 10lbs heavier, but you get the idea. Notice how there is an overall downward trend but it's not a straight line? Weight loss is not linear! Our weight fluctuates from day to day! Your best bet is to not look for a day to day or week to week loss, but rather an overall downward trend.

18lbs in two months is REALLY FAST! Don't compare yourself to others, especially if they have more to lose than you (is your friend heavier? If so it is generally—not always—easier to lose when you have more to spare). Even so you are miles ahead of a lot of people who are just gaining and not even maintaining their weight. If you're not gaining you're already ahead

Be proud of your accomplishments!

Last edited by sontaikle; 05-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #7  
God answers prayers!

Thank you so much for showing me your chart!! It really helps!! I see how it progresses now... I sometimes feel like I am getting nowhere....
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #8  
God answers prayers!

ps- wow you are an inspiration....
Old 05-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

there isn't much I can add except to agree with the advice you've been given. you have made very good steady progress. The chart Sontaikle posted really shows you how it goes. When I was losing, I only wrote down my Wednesday weight, and it was always less than the week before except for one week that stayed the same, but day to day would have looked like the chart posted above. Just hang in there.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 132/100/100

Height: 5'1

I weigh day to day as well and my chart looks something like Sontaikle's. It goes up. It goes down. But overall it has gone down which is the main thing. Keeping a chart (I keep mine with myfitnesspal) can help because you can see exactly how your weightloss looks and that even when you do go up, the general trend is downwards.

Also 18lbs in 2 months is amazing! It's close to 2lb a week which is usually considered the maximum for steady, healthy weightloss. In fact, as long as you've lost anything, consider it a win! You're already closer to goal than you were 2 months ago.
Kayriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
My weight loss chart. I weighed in every day and recorded it and made a pretty chart. It's off by 10lbs because my scale was weighing me in 10lbs heavier, but you get the idea.
If I found out my scale was weighing me 10lbs heavier, that would be a good day! lol

To the OP: You are doing wonderfully. I've been doing this like a month, and I've only lost 7lbs! I am the same way with my weight going up and down like that, I think it's a normal thing. Maybe give the scale a break a couple of days, work really hard, and when you go back, you'll be extra happy.
KYMommy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
BAM! Chart time!
This chart gave me a bit of a squinty moment until I remembered you Americans write the date the wrong way round. I was looking at it thinking "you lost fifty five pounds in a week?!"
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #13  
God answers prayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brid View Post
This chart gave me a bit of a squinty moment until I remembered you Americans write the date the wrong way round. I was looking at it thinking "you lost fifty five pounds in a week?!"
Just like when you drive on the wrong side of the road? lol This made me laugh..
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #14  
God answers prayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMommy2011 View Post
If I found out my scale was weighing me 10lbs heavier, that would be a good day! lol

To the OP: You are doing wonderfully. I've been doing this like a month, and I've only lost 7lbs! I am the same way with my weight going up and down like that, I think it's a normal thing. Maybe give the scale a break a couple of days, work really hard, and when you go back, you'll be extra happy.
I wish that I could!! I can't resist the urge to weigh myself...lol... I feel better today... I will get there.... I'm just impatient....