Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/260/160

Height: 5'7

Thumbs down Really regretting my lapband!!

So, I had my lapband put in May 2010 and it's been almost 2 years with only about a 10lb weightloss. It's really depressing to not be where I wanted at this time. I was 20 years old when I had it done and I felt really pressured into the lapband instead of bypass. I was about 276lbs then and because of the Optifast and post surgery I was down over 30 lbs. I then found out in July that I was pregnant (totally not planned!) I don't regret getting pregnant or having my son but I really wish it would have happened a couple years down the line once I had lost a little more weight. I had my son in March 2011 and since then I have been continuing yet again to struggle with my weight. I have been pretty depressed about it and feel like no one really understands what I am going through. My husband has been really great trying to make me feel better about myself but deep down it's my own issues that I need to deal with. I really regret having the lapband procedure now because I feel like all that time and money has gotten me no where. I have horrible insurance now that won't pay for a revision so I basically have to live with it until either I get better insurance or have more money to pay for it. I feel like I have tried so hard to work with the band and really push myself to lose weight but still nothing. It's just super frustrating! Is there anyone that has had a failed lapband and would like to tell me how they dealt with it? I would really appreciate all advice!
cheyenne89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #2  
threenorns

i'm sorry to hear that the lapband did not produce the results for which you'd been hoping but you know what? think of it not as a failure but as a method that didn't work for you.

have you considered tossing calorie-counting into the mix? i'm thinking the two techniques combined should give you better results, particularly since you are just coming out of your post-partum period (physically speaking) now.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

Has it actually failed though? It's still in place, right? No like slippage, erosion, etc.? Doesn't it just help you fill up faster? What are you actually eating and what does your exercise routine look like normally?

If you overeat with a lapband it can cause problems, too. Have your eating habits been under control?
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

Considered a revision to a sleeve?
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

wow, cheyenne - a lot has happend in such a short time! and congrats on the baby - he's a little over a year now, right? is he walking?

have you talked with the surgeon about what's going on with the band? from what I understand, many women don't have fills while they're pregnant - it might be time for an adjustment. if nothing else, maybe the surgeon can help you get back on track with it.

you said that you'd felt pressured to get the band. what happened? who pressured you and why? one of the nice things about the band is that it can be tightened or loosened to hit that sweet spot for you. from your post, it sounds to me like you didn't manage to achieve that sweet spot.

disclaimer: i haven't had a lapband - just the full bypass. but several of our members have had the band, and i've learned a lot from them - they'll check in soon and i'm sure they'll have some good advice. but that info in the previous paragraph comes right from some of their posts around here - so that's my story and i'm sticking with it!!!!

we'll help you get through this.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
wow, cheyenne - a lot has happend in such a short time! and congrats on the baby - he's a little over a year now, right? is he walking?

have you talked with the surgeon about what's going on with the band? from what I understand, many women don't have fills while they're pregnant - it might be time for an adjustment. if nothing else, maybe the surgeon can help you get back on track with it.

you said that you'd felt pressured to get the band. what happened? who pressured you and why? one of the nice things about the band is that it can be tightened or loosened to hit that sweet spot for you. from your post, it sounds to me like you didn't manage to achieve that sweet spot.

disclaimer: i haven't had a lapband - just the full bypass. but several of our members have had the band, and i've learned a lot from them - they'll check in soon and i'm sure they'll have some good advice. but that info in the previous paragraph comes right from some of their posts around here - so that's my story and i'm sticking with it!!!!

we'll help you get through this.
Definitely alot has happened within the last 2 years! He is almost 13 months old and not quite walking yet.

The thing is, I had my surgery done when I lived in Michigan and I currently live in Ohio so there's no real way for me to talk with my surgeon. I have driven to his office twice after I had my son to get my fills done. I am about halfway for my band. I know I need to have another fill but it costs $300 out of pocket for each one and with my husband and I trying to buy a house it's just not in the cards at the moment.

I felt pressured because the group of people I talked with (dietition, surgeon etc) and my parents felt it was safer for me to have the lapband procedure done. I did alot of research and thought the sleeve or roux en y would have been best but I listened to everyone else. I don't want it to seem like I'm blaming others for not acheiving my goals but if I could go back and change my mind I would.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
Has it actually failed though? It's still in place, right? No like slippage, erosion, etc.? Doesn't it just help you fill up faster? What are you actually eating and what does your exercise routine look like normally?

If you overeat with a lapband it can cause problems, too. Have your eating habits been under control?
No slippage, erosion or anything like that. I haven't reached my "sweet spot" yet and I am 5.5 cc in a 10cc band. I guess I just feel discouraged because I know a few people who've only had one fill and have that feeling of fullness. I have been counting calories (1200/ daily) with a few overrages here and there but never over 1500. I haven't been working out as much as I'd like but I pushing myself to 3-4 times a week this month. I know after my pregnancy I definitely overate and didn't exercise at all and now that I've made better health changes I wish it would show. I see alot of people who have managed to do a great job with their band but I just don't know what I am doing wrong.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning

I don't know any one that lost weight with 1 fill, thats amazing but what was their fill? some doctors like to go heavy handed and some don't like mine .25 cc at a time, thats nothing BUT its safe IMHO. Remember the band is a tool and will work for you if properly filled... bottom line, do don't kick yourself if you are not at your sweet spot yet. Some days my band is tight and its tough to get yogurt down, some days I can eat a cheese burger with fries no sweat. I have not reached my goal yet because I eat more cheeseburgers then yogurt and here I have this great tool to help me. On the other hand I have not gained to my original weight so I am extremely happy about that. I know money is tight right now but a fill is definitely something you need... so in the mean time you really need to buckle down and look at what you are eating and how much exercise you are getting... yeah I know dirty words, I agree but bottom line is, its all about calories and exercise. Love your band it really is working for you.

Hang in there and stick with 3FC's for support... the ladies here are AWESOME!!!!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

<ooh leenie - thanks for the reminder - haven't had breakfast yet - yogurt sounds good>

And cheyenne - yes, the fills are $$$, and yes, you're in a tough position having to find a surgeon to take care of you after the move, but, honey, aren't you worth it? and i'd love to think that your family would be supportive of the need for the fill, since you agreed to the surgery that THEY wanted you to have ... and from what i understand, it's not like you need a fill every week or two, right?

this is about you being healthy and able to chase after a little guy who will be walking very soon - and then RUNNING!

and a reminder - one of the issues that WE HAVE ALL had to face is taking care of ourselves - we're not used to it. and for many of us, that means changing the way we deal with the people in our lives and the way we take control of our own lives.

change isn't easy. but it's always possible.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/161.9/160

Height: 5' 8"

I have a good friend who is in her 50s, and got the lap band about 4 years ago. She weighed almost 300 lbs at 5'6". She stayed with it and lost about 80 lbs., but has been stuck, and gained since then. She's frustrated, and also wishes she'd had the by-pass. I think her frustration with not losing, just made her more prone to eat the wrong things. Best of luck to you getting what you want and need for weight loss!
fredlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Hi Cheyene.. I am a fairly new bandster and just rejoined 3FC after a long absence..No two people are alike.. I have had just 2 fills and just 3.5 cc in my 10 cc band and doing very well..I am never hungry..I guess the questions I would ask are? are you hungry all the time?? If so its possible you need a fill..Make sure you get plenty of protein.. you might even try to go back to a liquid stage and go from there.. I do know that if I eat a lot of carbs, I gain.. remember you only fail when you quit! Barb in NY
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Indiacatz, yes protein is the key, you are so right
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote