Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/268/152

Height: 5'7.5 (173 cm)

Default Today is the day

Hi all,

I'm completely new to this forum....I came across it searching for stuff and it seemed to be the one place you can find intelligent comments on obesity.

I have been a bit pudgy all my life, until I had a traumatic life event at 17. Then, for some reason, I started eating potato chips like an alcoholic would down vodka. I have no idea why I started with eating rather than drugs, to be honest. It was probably because I'm a semi-autistic somewhat antisocial person....so I didn't even know about drugs. Now, I almost feel that's a shame....I can't think of a worse curse than having your weakness actually show on your body like a huge reminder or mark of Cain.

Anyway, so I was fat (220 pounds to my 5'7.5) for about 4 years. Then I decided it was a drag and lost 70 lbs in 6 months. Then, when I was about 25, life got quite complicated again for me - some marriage issues etc - and I gained - until now when I'm at 268.

I work as a scientist - got my degree a couple of years ago - so fortunately I'm not expected to look good. Still, I find myself stigmatized - and it just seems to get worse....I guess it's all those horrible TV shows which make people feel entitled - as if they had any idea at all what personal demons someone might be struggling with.

Anyway, enough is enough, I've had it with this. I'm thoroughly tired of boring, judgmental people assuming I'm an inferior idiot because of my weight. I'm just going to loose the padding.

Sorry for sounding so aggressive and depressed....but, well, I guess that's my problem....
drdsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! Today is the best day to start, and this is the best place for support. I've started and stopped more times than I can count, and I am most on track when I come here.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #3  
threenorns

hi!! how are ya!!!!! asperger's, is it? lotsa fun, eh?

what strategy you planning on?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I do not know about autism, but you seem to be an intelligent person. And when you know you are antisocial, you can change it. Recently I saw brain series by Charlie Rose. There it was said you can train your brain.
Like in my case, I suddenly lost my mother at age of 23. So, my responses to somebody not responding to my calls are very exaggerated. So, now I try to be
Little patient.
Your antisocial behavior may be because of self esteem. When you will start seeing positive effects of weightless, your other problems will go away.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote