Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #1  
Started IP 3/26/12

S/C/G: 215.4/211.4/145

Height: 5'3"

Default Newbie intro + questions

Hello!

I've been lurking around this forum for a while and have finally decided to introduce myself! I just started IP two days ago and so far it hasn't been too terrible. It's pretty easy to stay motivated by reading all of your wonderful success stories!

Also, I had a few questions:

I just found some Walden Farms products at my local grocery store and like the ones I got (blueberry spread & ranch dressing) but I was wondering if there was a limit on how much of these we can have a day? I searched and I found some info here on them not really being 0/0/0 so I'm curious as to what a good limit on them would be. I honestly got the blueberry spread because it is sweet and my sweet cravings have always gotten terrible at night, so just a half a spoon full of the spread has really helped me to not go looking for off plan food.

Stevia...I searched the forum and also found differing info about limiting it. I've been drinking black coffee so far and it's already starting to drive me crazy. I don't really like the vanilla pre made drink in it.

And finally Diet Hansen's soda. It is 0/0/0 uses sucralose as a sweetener, has no phosphoric acid, and no caramel color. I had a terrible diet pepsi addiction prior to starting this diet and quitting completely has been rough. I was wondering if it would be ok to have 1 a day? or maybe 1 every other day? it would very much help my soda addiction, and give me something to look forward to! I've read all the posts about diet coke... but was wondering if anyone had any info about drinking the hansen's?

Edit:

I was also wondering about the veggies... so we can have 2 cups of any of the veggies on the list correct? Like this evening I had 2 cups of mushrooms with my dinner protein. Does the same go for spinach (i hate lettuce, so i use spinach in salads instead of lettuce)? Should I be counting my 2 cups of spinach towards my 2 cups of veggies for the day or do I have to eat others?

And the meat we have with our cooked meals... it says 8oz of ground beef is ok but I was looking at the nutrition info even on the lean stuff a serving is 4 oz and is pretty high in calories and fat. I'm a little concerned that this will mess me up because it is what i've been eating. and is there any way to weigh the 8oz without a scale?

I'm sorry for the huge post! I just have a lot of questions and my next weigh in isn't till next week.

Last edited by bellinghamster; 03-28-2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: added questions
bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #2  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellinghamster View Post
Hello!

I've been lurking around this forum for a while and have finally decided to introduce myself! I just started IP two days ago and so far it hasn't been too terrible. It's pretty easy to stay motivated by reading all of your wonderful success stories!

I just found some Walden Farms products at my local grocery store and like the ones I got (blueberry spread & ranch dressing) but I was wondering if there was a limit on how much of these we can have a day? I searched and I found some info here on them not really being 0/0/0 so I'm curious as to what a good limit on them would be. I honestly got the blueberry spread because it is sweet and my sweet cravings have always gotten terrible at night, so just a half a spoon full of the spread has really helped me to not go looking for off plan food.

Stevia...I searched the forum and also found differing info about limiting it. I've been drinking black coffee so far and it's already starting to drive me crazy. I don't really like the vanilla pre made drink in it.

And finally Diet Hansen's soda. It is 0/0/0 uses sucralose as a sweetener, has no phosphoric acid, and no caramel color. I had a terrible diet pepsi addiction prior to starting this diet and quitting completely has been rough. I was wondering if it would be ok to have 1 a day? or maybe 1 every other day? it would very much help my soda addiction, and give me something to look forward to! I've read all the posts about diet coke... but was wondering if anyone had any info about drinking the hansen's?

Edit:

I was also wondering about the veggies... so we can have 2 cups of any of the veggies on the list correct? Like this evening I had 2 cups of mushrooms with my dinner protein. Does the same go for spinach (i hate lettuce, so i use spinach in salads instead of lettuce)? Should I be counting my 2 cups of spinach towards my 2 cups of veggies for the day or do I have to eat others?

And the meat we have with our cooked meals... it says 8oz of ground beef is ok but I was looking at the nutrition info even on the lean stuff a serving is 4 oz and is pretty high in calories and fat. I'm a little concerned that this will mess me up because it is what i've been eating. and is there any way to weigh the 8oz without a scale?

I'm sorry for the huge post! I just have a lot of questions and my next weigh in isn't till next week.
Hi and Welcome.
You can have WF products, My coach said I can have as much as I want but I use them sparingly but I do use them almost everyday. In my opinion I think a spoonful of the spread is fine. I put at least a spoonful of the chocolate syrup on my mug cake and will also use the Caesar dressing in my salads and have had decent losses.

My coach also said dont worry about the splenda. I also like to use that sparingly. I use it in my coffee, (either 1 or 2 cups a day) I also use it in my mug cake at night. ( I use liquid stevia in my teas throught the day).

I was told NO soda. I too was addicted to diet coke before IP and I havent had any since I started and to be honest, I dont miss it. I will have an occasional crystal light or some MIO in my water but mostly plain water and herbal teas.

You should be having a total of 4 cups of veggies a day. I believe spinach counts as part of the 4 cups. only lettuce is free.

According to my coach and the phase 1 sheet, we can have 8oz lean beef, so I do. I do not question the fat/ cal counts I just do what my coach and the sheet tells me and I am happy with my results so far. I also use a scale to weigh my meats. Some would say to measure raw. My coach said to weigh cooked.

This is just what I do and my opinions. Do what your coach says and follow the sheet and what is best for YOU.
I hope this helped. Good luck !

Last edited by Cadu; 03-28-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #3  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I never used the Walden Farms products (tried and really didn't like).

I use coffee to help with my sweet cravings....I was never a flavored coffee drinker, but I buy Kaulha or raseberry flavored coffee and put a little of a vanilla shake in it (shake lasts a few days doing this) and viola...sweet urge after dinner taken care of until bar time.

Yes, count the spinach but I never worried too much about the great green veggie servings.

Good luck...the diet that changed my life!
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #4  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellinghamster View Post
Hello!

You can have as much as you would like of the WF products as Cadu stated use it in moderation. My coach said I could have the WHOLE bottle if I wanted ....lol....NOT that I would ever do that!!....Try the blueberry spread in the microwave for a few seconds so that softer and its yummy to add to your shakes or pudding!

Have you tried any of the divincy syrups in your coffee? also my coach allows us to have the sugarfree creamer so that might be an option for you

I too was too NO soda's BUT was told that you can have the sparkling Ice water as a "treat" every now and then. I have not used anything but water, sometimes adding Mio or crystal light and unsweet tea with splenda. I have never "treated" myself with anything else.

Edit:

Spinach counts as your toward your 2 cups a veggies. Lettuce is unlimited and would not count as anything. You have a total of 4 cups of veggies a day so whatever combination you use it doesn't matter just so you are getting the 4 cups in a day you are good to go!

I always get the leanest ground meat there is, I don't worry about the nutritional value or anything like that. I just use the lowest they have. Make sure you are using your olive oil and salt. You don't have to worry about the calories either, its all figured out for you....Just follow the sheet and everything else will happen...trust me on that! After you weigh your food for a few weeks you will be able to eye ball how much 8 oz is. If you don't get the full 8oz its ok but try to get at least 6oz in....8oz would be better and if you get a little more, its ok too....just don't let it go to 10-12oz and you should be fine.

Don't be sorry for the long post, how else are you going to ask questions and get answers if you don't ask?...never be afraid to ask anything even though you think it has been asked a million times before. We were all new at one time and had many of the questions you will have. Do check out the sticky's at the top of the page, there are a ton of recipes, lots of information that will be helpful to you. Again WELCOME to the IP family!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/218/1??

Height: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I never used the Walden Farms products (tried and really didn't like).

I use coffee to help with my sweet cravings....I was never a flavored coffee drinker, but I buy Kaulha or raseberry flavored coffee and put a little of a vanilla shake in it (shake lasts a few days doing this) and viola...sweet urge after dinner taken care of until bar time.

Yes, count the spinach but I never worried too much about the great green veggie servings.

Good luck...the diet that changed my life!
So I hate the walden farms stuff. Can we use good seasonings?
Lettuce wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #6  
Started IP 3/11/2012

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/160?

Height: 5' 8"

bellinghamster - welcome!

lettuce - depends on what you mean by "good seasonings" - all the herbs and spices are OK to use on your veg and protein. :-)

And I've been using fat free chix broth (0/0/0) to do things w/ veggies.
momof2greatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #7  
Started IP 3/26/12

S/C/G: 215.4/211.4/145

Height: 5'3"

the chicken broth is a good idea! momof2greatcats!

Thank you all for your answers! I know that was a lot to answer and I appreciate you taking the time to do so! I'm feeling ok as day 3 comes to an end... let's hope it stays that way!
bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #8  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce wrap View Post
So I hate the walden farms stuff. Can we use good seasonings?
This is what I used as well... Plus it helps get your oil in as well... The Garlic and herb is my fave... And I have tried it with cider vineagar and white... I actually like it with white better!
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

After a few weeks try the wf again. I didn't like them, or the miracle noodles before. Now I love them! I can ever handle the mayo! Lol
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Welcome and good luck to you!

I was told no broth, but it may depend on how many carbs or fat or sodium it has. I did find a no sodium chicken buillion that comes in handy.

There may be no limits on the WF stuff, and I have some in my salad every day, usually with a little apple cider vinegar to brighten the flavor. I found the chocolate and caramel dips so addictive that I stopped them for awhile, now use sparingly. Stevia is supposed to be better at regulating blood sugar levels, so I use that. I do use some DaVinci syrup in my coffee, that uses sucralose. Wish there were more products that used stevia though.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

For what it's worth, this blurb was posted on my clinic's website with an IP logo on top.

-------------------------
Symptoms: Metabolic Syndrome Is Tied to Diet Soda
By NICHOLAS BAKALAR
Published: February 5, 2008
Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet soda and metabolic
syndrome — the collection of risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes that
include abdominal obesity, high cholesterol and blood glucose levels, and elevated
blood pressure.
Dietary Intake and the Development of the Metabolic Syndrome.
The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (Circulation)
The scientists gathered dietary information on more than 9,500 men and women
ages 45 to 64 and tracked their health for nine years.
Over all, a Western dietary pattern — high intakes of refined grains, fried foods and
red meat — was associated with an 18 percent increased risk for metabolic
syndrome, while a “prudent” diet dominated by fruits, vegetables, fish and poultry
correlated with neither an increased nor a decreased risk.
But the one-third who ate the most fried food increased their risk by 25 percent
compared with the one-third who ate the least, and surprisingly, the risk of
developing metabolic syndrome was 34 percent higher among those who drank one
can of diet soda a day compared with those who drank none.
“This is interesting,” said Lyn M. Steffen, an associate professor of epidemiology at
the University of Minnesota and a co-author of the paper, which was posted online in
the journal Circulation on Jan. 22. “Why is it happening? Is it some kind of chemical
in the diet soda, or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?”
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/

Height: 5'0

i have been trying to get a weight tracker i don't know how to do it i can get the tracker but don't how to post it.i cut and pasted the code but this is all i got
i am not to good on the computer.what am i doing wrong?

dody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 140/

Height: 5'0

oh now i see da now i am doing a happy dance now it i can only figure how to do the happy carrot dance.
dody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #14  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dody View Post
i have been trying to get a weight tracker i don't know how to do it i can get the tracker but don't how to post it.i cut and pasted the code but this is all i got
i am not to good on the computer.what am i doing wrong?

You have to be a member for 20 days and have made 20 post before your ticker will be set
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote