Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/183/160

Height: 5' 10"

Default sync calorie cycle with workout??

I posted a similar question in the middle of a thread elsewhere, but I wanted to ask it here too to get a wider variety of opinions.

Right now I have the triple goal of trying to increase my maintenance calories past the absurdly low point by eating at a surplus (without gaining too much weight ideally), trying to diet to lose a few more pounds, and trying to become more badass in general. Instead of being patient and taking this one step at a time like a normal person, my urge to power-game my life kicked in and I got an idea. But I wanted to ask here first to make sure I'm not setting myself up for a massive fat-gaining mishap.

I've been resting for a while now just to give my body a break, but it's time to start training again. I want to start by eating for two weeks at a calorie surplus to help get my metabolism back into gear. To minimize fat gain (hopefully) and accomplish the "more badass" goal, I plan primarily to lift heavy during this two week period.

Then for the next two weeks, I'd diet back down to a reasonable deficit, increase cardio / intervals, and lift to maintain strength. And then rinse and repeat the cycles. I'd figure on taking a training break and eating at a mid-range calorie level for a week every few iterations to avoid getting myself into the same over-trained whacked-out-meatbolism situation I am currently in.

Does this sound like a good idea or am I setting myself up for major fat gain by messing around with the calories so much? Perhaps I should have posted this in the lifting forum, but I am mostly concerned with the calories at this point, so... advice? Pre-thanks.
oxymoronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

I suggest you do what works. If you feel like maintaining the particular number of calories consistently is boring and a recipe for failure in your case, be daring. I for one need consistency for my discipline in the food area so I dare not have variability in my days or else I would make excuses on one day or the next that I could compensate for bad numbers on another day.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote