Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #1  
MG #1: lose back that 10#

Height: 5'5"

Default Non-food rewards?

So I did it...

Seeing 200 on the scale yesterday was such a victory to me, I ate a donut. Food is the only thing that seems like a reward for me. It is cheap and satisfying, and, since I'm dieting, it is even more attractive. I'm financially strapped and don't really find anything other than junk food rewarding these days, so what can I do?

I guess the closest would be maybe telling my wife about it and making her come up with a reward. That might be nice. But, anyone else have similar problems and/or a solution?

PS I am a woman.
loofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Height: 5'3"

I find that it doesn't matter so much that the reward be a large/expensive (or delicious!) one as it does that it be a reward. For example, when I hit 199 a few days ago, I got a new haircut. (My mom and sister did it for me...who needs hair dressers?) Now, a haircut isn't really a big deal; everyone gets them all the time, but just having in mind that I wouldn't get a haircut until I hit my goal made it pretty exciting for me. I would think even something small like a bottle of nail polish, a new book, a DVD, a new album for your mp3 player, etc... would work.

The trick is to know what your reward is going to be ahead of time, so that you're thinking about how good it's going to be to get it. It's the anticipation that makes the reward fun more than the actual real-world value of it. At least for me.
Nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm buying myself beads for my Pandora bracelet every 25 pounds. Not cheap, but I get to see them every day, and look forward to the next one.

For smaller rewards, I've bought an impractical pair of shoes for $11 on the clearance rack.

I've also done a "spa morning" in my own bathroom - deep condition my hair, face mask, salt scrub - you know, all those things I say I will do once a week and then never get around to doing.

Do you wear makeup? How about a new lipgloss or eyeliner? A nice smelling body lotion or hand cream?

A new CD or DVD you've been wanting?

Maybe have your wife give you a foot rub/back rub/back scratch/whatever it is you like that you wish she did more?

200 is definitely worth celebrating - I'm looking forward to getting there myself!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #4  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

I have all of my rewards planned out so it is fun to look forward to hitting the next goal. If you can control yourself after getting a taste of junk food when you hit your goal, that is great. Way to go on your loss!
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #5  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I've done that before and was I ever irritated with myself! Sometimes, I do a new color on my nails or carve out some extra pretty time. Lately, I have been rewarding myself with a good, solid workout session to solidify the forward movement. Anything healthy that you enjoy (besides something with calories) is a great reward. Congrats by the way, for some reason 200 is really hard for some people, it really tests you so you have to kick it's butt!
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #6  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

I havent yet thought about a reward. But, i i have these pair of pants i couldnt fit into at a ll a week ago, now i can fit into them but they are really tight, and i will try again next week, etc. Fitting into them and wearing them out would be a great reward!!! I also go to breakfast on the third Sunday of every month with my sister. This Sunday is the date for this month. Im excited to see her and see if she notices anything. I wont be disappointed if she doesnt. But since i see her once a month, each month will be exciting because there will be a change in my weight. I will make it a point to dress in clothes i can wear that i couldnt wear last time i saw her. Thats my form of an award. I think anything you can look forward to, anything that gets you excited, is an award.
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

Default Ha! You Crack Me Up!

EVERY pound lost is a REWARD in itself! I TRY not to use food as a reward for weightloss ONLY because I WILL NOT STOP at just ONE doughnut! I LOVE me some doughnuts, cheesecake and CANDY (of every varieties)!!! CONGRATS! Keep up the good work!
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #8  
too big to fail

I'm really hurting financially at the moment, but I've thought up a few: watch a lot of trashy television, get a DVD or book from the library, take a trip to a museum or park, take a walk on the beach (or lake or river), buy a funky new color of nail polish, a bouquet of flowers from the green grocer, a package of incense, scented candle, etc. You could also spend a little bit more on something you usually buy for yourself: hair products, toilet paper (two ply!!!), sparkling water, etc. All of these are free or >$10.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #9  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
I'm really hurting financially at the moment, but I've thought up a few: watch a lot of trashy television, get a DVD or book from the library, take a trip to a museum or park, take a walk on the beach (or lake or river), buy a funky new color of nail polish, a bouquet of flowers from the green grocer, a package of incense, scented candle, etc. You could also spend a little bit more on something you usually buy for yourself: hair products, toilet paper (two ply!!!), sparkling water, etc. All of these are free or >$10.
I love the idea of flowers!!! I love having a fresh bouquet of flowers in my home. What a great idea for an award!
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote