Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default WT....any one have issues with lose and chantix or loss issues when working out?

Ok so I started taking chantix last week a week after changing my diet, and I also started the gym that week. Because of atkins I saw a 10lb loss the first week (no gym no chantix) I figured the second week would be much smaller and of course AF came too. No change that week until af went away and then another 3 lbs gone. I weigh daily because I am obsessive like that, so wed I see the 3 lb loss, thurs a 5 lbs gain, and today 2 less than yesterday but still 3 more than wed. So I ask WTH? I know I shouldnt weigh my self daily but really 5lbs in one day (morning weight no clothes no food or drink after bathroom)? Anyone have issues with gain on chantix, or can you see why this may be happening. I am very meticulous about what I eat and how I work out so idk how I could not be losing. I know that smoking increases your metabolism but I havent exactly quit yet so Im not sure how this could be affecting me just yet.
Thanks for any help
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Your weight can fluctuate a lot from day to day (and even from hour to hour) due to water rentention and several other reasons, so I think what's happening isn't necessarily out of the norm.
I quit smoking using Chantix (Champix here in Canada) and had absolutely no issues with weight gain. I was working to lose weight for my wedding at the time, and continued to lose weight at the same rate once I was on Champix.
Someone may correct me, but as far as I know, smoking does not increase your metabolism. It can be a temporary appetite supressant (for me, it would decrease my appetite for an hour or so right after smoking) but that's it.

Last edited by PinkLotus; 03-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #3  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I started taking Chantix and we're on our 3rd day now. My doctor told me that I needed to start walking more because of the medicine. It's not the medicine itself that makes you gain. The Chantix does help you quit smoking, but you still have the effects of withdrawals. Meaning you naturally find things to occupy the time you once used to smoke, and for most people, they choose to eat.

Also, Chantix can make some people retain water. Have you noticed any swelling in your legs or feet? My doctor warned me about this as well. You can try drinking Low Sodium V8 with a teaspoon of Good Apple Cider Vinegar. This is an amazing concoction my husband and I drink before every meal. It helps suppress your appetite and it is an amazing detoxifying agent. You are supposed to drink the ACV with water, not V8, but I just can't handle the taste of that. We use the ACV from the health food store. I believe the brand is Braggs...

I really hope this helps. Good luck with your weight loss and quitting smoking! I'm definitely looking forward to being smoke free!
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote