Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/147/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Feeling low on Phase 3?

Hi, new to this forum, but have been reading posts and getting so many good ideas and info....thanks all!

I am in my 2nd week of Phase 3. I have lost 40 lbs on Ideal Protein total, and felt pretty good except that first week on Phase 1. I have followed protocol strictly.

I am finding that since I started Phase 3 I feel tired and low energy all morning, and most of the day. I also feel a little depressed. My coach seemed confused by this.

When I first started IP, I noticed a shift in my moods pretty dramatically. I did research and found that drastically reducing carbs suddenly can cause problems for people with low seratonin levels who have previously been self medicating with sugar/carbs without realizing it. So I added in some 5-Htp and have had the most stable moods and felt better than I have in years.

Then suddenly, adding in the carbs in Phase 3....and I feel all wonky again. Want to sleep constantly, feel overwhelmed and anxious. wth? Have no idea where to go from here and wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance for any help!
SpicySister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Can you post what you've been eating for breakfast?
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #3  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

I am sorry but I am still on Phase 1.

May I ask what kind of carbs you have added back in P3? I am no expert but it sounds like you have a sensitivity to certain carbs. Some people struggle with wheat a lot. Some struggle with sugar. Have you pulled back on any particular carb and seen any improvement? I don't know if any of this helps.

I am also curious about low serotonin levels. How do you find out if yours are low?
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #4  

I have alternated between egg, ham, cheese, toast, and fruit and Greek yogurt, fruit, toast, and almond butter.

I am gluten free so I have either been eating Canyon Bakehouse 7 Grain GF Bread or the last 2 days I have just started eating the Julian Smart Carb GF #3 bread (3 net carbs per slice). I notice I feel slightly better if I up my protein to at least 30g in the morning....I'm afraid to tinker with much else....

I don't know for certain that my serotonin levels are/were low but I have struggled with mild/moderate depression and anxiety most of my life and was a huge carb/sugar addict. When I initially cut the carbs on Phase 1 I had such a powerful mood swing, rageful, depressed, irrational....I knew it had to be chemically based. I did a lot of research and found that many of us who are heavily addicted to sugar and carbs are actually self-regulating low or unstable serotonin levels (google serotonin and low carb diets or serotonin and carbs). But it becomes an unhealthy cycle obviously because the constant insulin spike, weight gain etc... SO....looking for some natural way to supplement my serotonin while on a lower carb diet, i read a lot of research about the supplement 5-Htp and how it is a precursor to serotonin and began taking it in very small doses. I now take 100mg a day, which is still pretty low....but up until phase 3 had experienced the most stable period of energy and moods in my life.

It feels like adding in the carbs is throwing something off....but I don't know where to start....just hoping maybe someone out there has had similar responses and maybe it is just a phase that will pass? Felt so much better before Phase 3 :-(
Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191.4/141.2/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicySister View Post
I have alternated between egg, ham, cheese, toast, and fruit and Greek yogurt, fruit, toast, and almond butter.

I am gluten free so I have either been eating Canyon Bakehouse 7 Grain GF Bread or the last 2 days I have just started eating the Julian Smart Carb GF #3 bread (3 net carbs per slice). I notice I feel slightly better if I up my protein to at least 30g in the morning....I'm afraid to tinker with much else....

I don't know for certain that my serotonin levels are/were low but I have struggled with mild/moderate depression and anxiety most of my life and was a huge carb/sugar addict. When I initially cut the carbs on Phase 1 I had such a powerful mood swing, rageful, depressed, irrational....I knew it had to be chemically based. I did a lot of research and found that many of us who are heavily addicted to sugar and carbs are actually self-regulating low or unstable serotonin levels (google serotonin and low carb diets or serotonin and carbs). But it becomes an unhealthy cycle obviously because the constant insulin spike, weight gain etc... SO....looking for some natural way to supplement my serotonin while on a lower carb diet, i read a lot of research about the supplement 5-Htp and how it is a precursor to serotonin and began taking it in very small doses. I now take 100mg a day, which is still pretty low....but up until phase 3 had experienced the most stable period of energy and moods in my life.

It feels like adding in the carbs is throwing something off....but I don't know where to start....just hoping maybe someone out there has had similar responses and maybe it is just a phase that will pass? Felt so much better before Phase 3 :-(
I'm not an expert of this diet or suited to give medical advice, but have you tried maybe going back to phase 1 for a week to see if you feel better? If you do then you know it's the carbs that's messing with your body. It seems like you're doing wonderfully on the program your stats look amazing!
socalgirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #6  

Thanks socalgirl!....I did feel better, even on phase 2, but really want to finish out phase 3 properly....maybe once I am in maintenance (phase 4) I can tweek things and see if I do better with less or different carbs etc....
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #7  

Feeling much better this morning....hoping it was just an adjustment phase and my energy will return to normal....we'll see!