South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #1  
Goal: A Healthy Me

Height: 5' 6"

Default Increase calories to lose weight?

Hi chicks - I hoping someone has some insight for me. I'm doing phase 1 and lost 3lbs the first few days. I'm assuming that was mostly water weight. Then I stalled out at no loss for the next week. I was getting really frustrated because I really want this to work. My veggies are good (5-6 cups a day), my water and salt are good so I ran a couple of days through a calorie counter just to see if I was getting too many. Imagine my surprise when I came up at 900 to 1000/day. So the past few days I've consciously increased them to 1200-1300 and I've lost weight each day.
Is this a coincidence? I don't feel hungry at the 900/day. I feel full after meals and usually don't want my pm snacks I've packed. I'm keeping a food log to keep me honest but I really don't want to count calories right now.
Thanks
Kelly J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Sometimes our bodies need a mix up - I find if I toggle between 1000 and 1500 calories, it tends to break a stall.

On the SBD, you don't have to count calories, but some do. Personally, I try to get at least 1300 calories in, especially if working out. Also remember that sometimes our bodies stall - remember to take measurements of your body AND how you feel!

Remember to eat those PM snacks, even if you don't want them - you don't want your body to feel deprived!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #3  

Kelly, one of my biggest problems during P1, was I was not eating enough, so I have to learn to eat more, that really helped me start losing.

And Jen, after reading your reply, I think I need to increase my eating again, I am at a stand still, my scale won't budge, but I know I still lose inches. So, I am going to try and add more veggies and not skip snacks (which I so sometimes, because I am just not hungry).

Thanks girls for the reminders.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

It is a crazy concept, but seems to work. I remember my initial phase I, only having 800 - 1000 calories, so I'd have cashews in the evening. FWIW, 900 calories is not nearly enough calories for someone of your height!

PS - in some forums, people will adamently deny this occurs. calories in, calories out, blah blah blah. But here is a perfect example...
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #5  
Goal: A Healthy Me

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks everyone. Down another 1/2 lb this morning! Guess I'll have to add calorie tracking to the food log but it'll be worth it.
Kelly J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I tend to skip whole meals now a days, which is something I thought I'd NEVER do (hence why I haven't posted much in the daily thread, which I used to do, well, daily ). Since when does a food-a-holic just FORGET to eat. But it happens. And I notice a stall when it does.

Water has also become my friend (well, maybe frenemy). I notice the scale go down when I drink more pure water.

Stick with it, get those veggies in, and in Ph 1 especially remember to eat all those snacks!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #7  
Maryanna

S/C/G: 167/132/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Well, you don't have to necessarily count calories. You know how many calories you are getting with the set portions of food you eat so just maybe common sense it by adding a bit more food and it will add up For instance, try adding a tsp of olive oil with salt and pepper to your salad. Adds calories and you don't really feel like you're eating much more. Maybe add a cup of milk to breakfast or a few extra nuts (which are calorically dense). Heck, even a tbsp of peanut butter should help Just remember, you don't have to eat a full out extra meal to add extra calories.
pinkcandiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

While this is not a calorie counting plan, many of us do have some idea of our intake. And that can sometimes be a good thing. Based on what I have read and heard, having too low an intake will work against your weight loss efforts because your body quickly responds, thinking it is starving, and slows your metabolism. Dr. Oz (and others) typically caution not to go below 1200 on a regular basis.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #9  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

When I first saw this, I had a vague memory of this happening to me on Phase 1, but mostly I was thinking I wish I had this problem I have had a cold for two weeks now and have just been grazing on toast and juice, never quite satiated - not counting calories, but I imagine they were way up there .... so yesterday was the first day I was officially back on plan. I planned out a perfect day, tweaked it to be higher and protein .... then proceeded to eat less than half of it! Shockingly - I was just not hungry. I just checked and yesterday's count was 676 calories. Crazy low. I had imagined it was around 900 or I probably would have forced myself to eat something more last night.

I think calorie-counting is very useful, even if only occasionally, to see where things stand. Maybe I am just a terrible intuitive eater and need the added accountability. I don't plan to do it forever. I had a long stretch of maintenance last year at 10 lbs less than I am now with no calorie-counting or actual meal-planning, just making good choices and remaining active. But I got way off track, so counting & planning helps me until I am in a "groove" again.

I think most of this process is trial and error. My goal right now is 1300- 1400 calories, with 1600 on workout days. When I plan out 1400 calories, it seems like soooo much food, as long as there are no nuts or much oil, etc. It's true, those are really easy ways to get your calorie counts up!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #10  

I was just wondering if the same thing is going on with me. I was thinking that I may start phase 2 a couple of days early and then maybe go back to phase 1 after a week or 2 - has anyone had sucess cycling between phases?
erinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Erin - why not finish Phase 1? It's really important to complete the full two weeks. You can always add more fat if you are worried you aren't getting enough calories - nuts, cheese, avocado, etc.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Has anyone actually gained weight doing South Beach?

I've been on Phase 1 now for the last 2.5 weeks. (I have an event next month so I want to stay on Phase 1 a little longer). I lost 9 lbs in the first 2 weeks but for my weigh in today, it said I gained 1.5lbs (since Monday!). I haven't cheated at all though. I've been sticking around 1400 calories and exercising (usually about 40-45min/day).

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm concerned that I need to up/down the calorie intake or maybe watch the fat intake? I have olive oil (in controlled portions) just about everyday.
slicedbreadbox is offline   Reply With Quote