Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default "Maintenance" = completely foreign term

I've been losing weight since last January. I've lost weight before, but never for this long or this consistently. And I'm loving it, I really am -- but the closer I get to my goal, the more something is looming up on me.

Here'e the thing: the idea of maintenance is something I can't seem to wrap my head around. My entire life, it seems like I've either been unintentionally gaining weight, or intentionally trying to lose it (although to be honest, I've really only done that twice before.) Realistically I know that I must have maintained my weight at least some of the time (because I always hovered within 2-3 pounds of my highest weight) but I guess it's the idea of consciously maintaining that has me in a tailspin.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm still 24 pounds away from goal, so I'm still quite a ways from maintenance anyway...but I keep thinking: Will I be able to do it? I've been losing weight for so long now; will I actually be able to get in the right mindset to keep my weight the same, instead of concentrating on making it drop?

I'm doing WW, so I know I'll have support during the whole process, but it still feels weird to me to be talking about maintaining my weight. I think a major part of it, too, is that I've never actually been at a weight that was actually a healthy one to maintain. This whole process is just so new to me still.

I know there are lots of maintainers here on 3FC, and I'm just wondering: did any of you feel this "trepidation" of sorts when you started getting somewhat close to your goal weight? Did you find the switch from losing mode to maintenance mode difficult? Can you share your experiences? And if anyone else who's still losing weight is feeling this way, feel free to commiserate...right now I feel like I'm the only one on earth who must feel this way! *L*
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on your amazing loss! I am trying to figure out maintenance myself. Would have liked to lose a few more pounds but for the past 3 months I have not lost anything so decided to work on maintaining.
When you have time, check out the maintenance forum on this site. There are many members who have maintained long term and you will find a ton of great information there.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #3  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
did any of you feel this "trepidation" of sorts when you started getting somewhat close to your goal weight? Did you find the switch from losing mode to maintenance mode difficult? Can you share your experiences? And if anyone else who's still losing weight is feeling this way, feel free to commiserate...right now I feel like I'm the only one on earth who must feel this way! *L*
1st of all, on your loss thus far! You're doing great!!!

Having been a yo-yo'er most of my life, I can say that maintenance is the hardest thing - way harder than losing, IMHO. But I say that because I've (obviously) never been able to achieve it. I've lost 30-40 lbs about 6-7 times in my adult life, and so far, 8 months was the longest I was able to keep the weight off... and every single time I started gaining the weight back (plus more, ugh!!) it was due to a physical injury that prevented me from exercising. I had some sort of stumbling block in my head: "if I can't exercise, how can I lose/maintain??"

That's part of why I'm hoping this round of weight loss will be my final! No more yo-yo'ing!! Because I haven't made exercise the corner-stone of my weight loss this time - THIS TIME, I have made eating less food the corner-stone. And I stand by my mantra of "diet for weight loss/exercise for fitness".

While I still have 15 pounds to go to meet goal (& have suffered a wicked plateau the past 3 months!!) I still believe I am doing this the right way (for me.) It's taken me 2 years to lose 37 lb. That's pretty slow weight loss! - but from 3FC & all the members who come & go here, I've learned that slow & steady wins the race, because I'm changing my HABITS, and as many people tout, it's not a "diet" it's a LIFESTYLE change.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I hear ya - I'm borderline terrified of maintenance. I've still got a while to wrap my brain around it, though.

Good luck to both of us to get to goal and keep it off!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote