Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

Height: 5'11"

Question Struggling with finding "my" plan ...

I'm really struggling. I've been doing Atkins induction and mostly love it ... But here is where I struggle. If I give in and eat something off plan or go totally off track & eat an entire weekend of carbs, I'm out of ketosis & up 7 lbs. Back to where I started. I'm not willing to only calorie count because I like how my cravings disappear, my mood levels out, I lose weight quickly, etc. when I'm eating very low carbs. Would it be hurting my weight loss if I counted calories and carbs, but rather than worrying about staying at 20 g and staying in ketosis? Does anyone just stay low carb, like 50 or so grams of carbs & still indulge in an alcoholic drink, fruit, bread, etc every so often without feeling like you've ruined everything & gain 5 lbs overnight??
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

What you're describing is pretty much the Primal Blueprint, so you might want to look into that. http://www.marksdailyapple.com will give you a lot of reading material if you want to check out what it's about without having to go buy a book.

Right now I'm finishing up the Whole 30 challenge, which is a stricter version of a paleo/primal plan. I come in around 60-70 grams of carb a day and get most of my calories from good fats and adequate protein, but I eat lots (LOTS) of veggies and some fruit. Whole 30 doesn't allow alcohol, but Primal Blueprint operates on an 80/20 basis, meaning if you're on plan 80% of the time, you're doing well.

It's worked for me far better than Atkins did. I have lost about 9 pounds since I started 25 days ago, whereas on Atkins I actually gained. It might not be the answer for you, but if you like Atkins but want a little more leeway, I'd suggest exploring some paleo/primal options instead.

Though gaining five pounds overnight will happen any time you're low carbing and go overboard on the carbs. It's just water weight/glycogen and will come off quickly enough.

PS: I still count calories. I'm at 1400-1600/day and losing at a good rate. I also work out regularly.

Last edited by thistoo; 02-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

I don't know if I am the right person to answer this, because I really didn't do well on Atkins – I lost weight during induction but all that rich food and too little produce had me nauseated and -ehm- constipated Not to mention that like you said, the occasional cheat would mess everything up.

Here what works best for me: I do not count carbs, but I focus on low-GI fruits and veggies and I limit myself to two fruit a day tops - no more. I never ever limit my veggies, though! I always feel better when I eat lots of veg, and if they are low-GI, high-fiber veggies they never ever mess up my blood sugar.

I don't count calories either because it makes me obsessive, but I do limit my portions and try to choose mostly lean protein and good fats.

Again, this is nothing like Atkins, because you still limit your fats (somewhat, not obsessively so) and are more choosy in picking them, but it still leave you a lot of freedom and a lot of foods to choose from, and it is more sustainable on the long run. And the occasional cupcake or glass of wine won't set you back ages (as long as you get back on track and "occasional" doesn't become "several times a week" )

I hope it helps a little!
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #4  

Carbs cause 4 grams of water to be stored for every gram of carb eaten. That's why Atkins people see a weight gain when they go off. Alcohol has no redeeming nutritional value so why use it?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

<<Alcohol has no redeeming nutritional value so why use it?>>

'Cause it's relaxing and wine tastes good with meals? For some of us that's reason enough.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I count calories and keep carb at <50% of my daily calories, so usually around 130-140 (100ish "net" if you subtract fiber). I have found that this level is low enough to pretty much eliminate carb cravings for me. You just have to experiment to see where your tipping point is. Good luck!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Alcohol has no redeeming nutritional value so why use it?
Reduced risk of heart disease, dementia, gallstones, diabetes, stroke, reduced bone mass... heck, lower all-cause mortality.

It's a win for me (when I don't have contraindications), and a win that's worth a few calories.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I try to do moderate to lowish carb. I'm not on a "plan" per se, I just try to distribute proteins, fats and carbs somewhat evenly (not perfectly by any means...for me it's more about calories than macronutrients). Nothing is "off limits" but I know carby sweet snacks leave me feeling unsatisfied and binge-y, so I save those for occasions when I think they're worth it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #9  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

My dad(who is in his 60s) likes to count carbs. He doesnt pay much attention to calories. His doctor and a bit of internet research helped him come to a carb limit he was comfortable with. He really didn't change anything else about his diet but carbs and added in a bit of walking every other day(eventually got himself up to 6miles) and lost weight quite steadily like that.

It should be noted that my dad has never had a weight issue, sweet tooth, over eating problem or anything like that. Most of his weight gain was due to getting older, retiring and becoming less active.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Alcohol has no redeeming nutritional value so why use it?
One could say the same about sugar and most grains. But for most people it isn't realistic to quit them entirely. I don't believe in enabling, but if one is trying to find a middle ground between going all out and a super-strict diet, I think that "just don't drink" isn't that helpful
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

Thanks for all the helpful & insightful responses Very quick replies & I appreciative it very much. You've given me a lot to think of. Thank you! I've gotten a lot of really great responses & some awesome advice.
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote