Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #1  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Height: 5'4"

Default Exercise advice from the pros, please.

Hi, guys! I know this should probably go in the exercise board, but I lurk here (and sometimes post) way more often than there, and I feel like I know some of you guys even though I don't post much, so here I am. And here's my dilemma: I've been hopelessly sedentary for 4 years, and I've maintained about a 30-pound loss for 16 years, with exercise on and off. I really hate exercise, but I know I need to do it. One day I'd like to reach my dream goal of 125, and I'd also like to not be a cripple before age 50 (I'm 41). So I'd like your help in this. I don't know if I should join a regular gym, a Contours (kind of like Curves, but better, because you can increase the weight on the machines as you progress), or at home (with a bike, treadmill and free weights). I'll try to list briefly the pros and cons of each (for me):

Conventional gym:

-Cheaper than Contours (though not much)
-More conveniently located (again, not by much)
-More choice of activities (including water activities; I can later on sign my son up for swimming lessons there and use the treadmill or something at the same time)
-I hate gyms and don't know how likely I am to stick to a program

Contours:

-I really like circuit training. It's the least boring gym activity I've ever tried.
-It's limited. If I ever get to a point where the circuit gets too easy (ha ha), I have nowhere to go. I'd need to find another gym. Of course I could do exactly that. Stay there for some months then move on.
-It's a short workout (40 mins if you count warm-up and stretching). I can stick to that a few times a week, but again, it's limited.

Home:

- I already have a bike and the weights, but no treadmill. The bike gives me knee pain, so I can't do it every day. I'd need to buy a treadmill.
- It's convenient. I can exercise early morning when my son's asleep even if My husband's not at home (ds is 4).
- I can choose my music (without having to wear headphones).
- It's boring, but I've had success with it in the past (I used the stationary bike at home 6 days a week when I lost the weight).
- No excuses. No rain, bad traffic, etc.
- WAAAAY cheaper than the other options, since there's no monthly bill involved.
- I can only start once we've moved to our new house, since there's no room for gym equipment in this apartment. That looks like it's gonna take at the very least another 2 months. So no exercise for now.

What to do?? I'm so torn. I change my mind 200 times a day. I'm leaning towards Contours because of the less boredom factor, but I don't know because of all its cons. Ugh.

Thanks for reading, and I'd really appreciate your opinion. And I should clarify that I don't expect I'll ever be an exercise lover, the kind that spends 2-3 hours at the gym with pleasure. If I can stick to a simple program 3-4 a week, it'll be wonderful.
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7

Not all that keen on gyms either so I settled on bodyweight exercises and 20 minute HIIT cardio. 4 times a week each, the sessions are short but absolutely committed to beating my previous best which continually adds difficulty.

Not sure a treadmill will do you any favours if your knee is dodgy. I'd suggest an elliptical instead.
Tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

A few more questions to consider:

Do Contours or your gym offer a free trial? Most gyms here do-- either for a few days or a week. If so, you could try them out and see which one you're more likely to stick to.

Does your gym offer classes? Those keep me from getting bored and it mixes up my exercise, which I think is important.

Do Contours or the gym require a minimum contract or can you cancel anytime?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Hi there,

I can't tell you what to do, but I can relay my own experience. I'm 55 and joined a gym for the second time in my life last November. (The first time I was in my 20s and quit after 3 months.) I've been completely sedentary for large chunks of my life, and at other times I've done some light jogging (which I never really enjoyed).

This is the first time in my life I can honestly say I'm enjoying the exercise. I go to the fitness classes (weights, low-impact cardio, kickboxing, spinning) as I find the group energy and music to be motivating. On two occasions I tried working out on my own on the elliptical trainer and found it deadly boring, so I've stopped doing it.

The point is, you have to experiment until you find what works for you. You could try a short-term membership at each gym and see which one you prefer. The nice thing about a conventional gym is the variety of classes to choose from.

You also have to give it some time. The first time I did kickboxing and spinning I HATED it, but I gave it a second and third chance and now I enjoy these classes.

Seeing results is also motivating, I find. I could never in my entire life do male pushups, and now I can do a few! I can also handle heavier weights than most people (some of whom are half my age) at the weight class.

HTH Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #5  

Like some of the others have mentioned, I go to fitness classes at my gym, and it's the main reason I joined. I do go on the equipment once a week or twice (at most), but the main attraction for me are the exercise classes. I also echo someone else's suggestion to ask about a trial membership. You'll never really know how much you like it until you actually try it.

With that being said, I have the luxury of doing both since I have a treadmill & some hand weights at home. Even with that, though, I do like the option of the gym. So, maybe it doesn't have to be all or nothing? I'm not saying that you should go out and buy exercise equipment for your house (although you can find some good bargains on Craig's List). However, even if you join the gym, you still have the option of working out at home if you don't feel like going every day; jog outside, do some bodyweight exercises, etc. I do get to the gym at least three days a week, but sometimes on other days, I just don't feel like going and I use my own equipment. The best of both worlds!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Nice to see someone else from Brazil on here.

Personally, I love the gym. I know it can be intimidating for some but once you get over that it's really great. HOWEVER, the best exercise plan is the one you can stick to. So, if you realistically think that the chance of you sticking with the gym is low, then go to contours. Could you sign up for a monthly contract and then if/when you get to the point of maxing out there you could switch to something else?

Also, there's no reason to delay exercise simply because of lack of equipment. There's a lot you can do with body weight exercise to at least get something in. However (and I'm reading in between the lines of your post here) it sounds like you really need something consistent to stick with it so Contours sounds like a good option in that respect. Maybe later once you've been consistent there for awhile other options will be better for you and you can always change.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/138/144

Can you do a short term plan for Contours or they gym and try it out while you're waiting to move? I like exercising at home- I have a variety of things I do: treadmill, WII games, fitness hula hoop (can do while watching tv at night). I also do a yoga class at a studio once per week.
goldendoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #8  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Hey guys, thanks for your input.

Tourny, the treadmill would be for walking, not running. I know I can't run. I had a treadmill in the past, but I sold it because I have no room for it where I live now, but since we're moving soon...

I would love to be able to go to classes, but they're not available at the time I can go to the gym (early afternoon). At the regular gym I could go to spinning, but the time is not super convenient, and then there's another class later in the afternoon that I would consider, but I'd have to miss the stretching part and run to my son's school to pick him up, so again, not ideal.

Which is why I went to Contours for a free trial and signed up!! I'm so excited! I really liked it, the workout is MUCH harder than I expected (definitely much harder than Curves), and it's similar to a class environment in that you're with other people and you're doing different activities every 55 seconds! I haven't been this excited about starting an exercise program since I lost weight back in 1995-1996. It'll take me a LONG time to grow out of it, too. I'm way out of shape and like I said, the workout is much harder than I expected, and I can increase the loads on the machines like in regular lifting, so I'm good to go for now. I signed up for 6 months, but I can get out of the contract easily by paying a relatively small fine if I change my mind. So all's good!!

Runningfromfat, no way, you're Brazilian too? Cool! We're everywhere. There was at least another one here. Her user name was something Fonseca.

ETA: Oops, saw your blog. American living in Brazil, right. I thought your English was too good! Where do you live? (if you don't mind my asking). And yes, bra sizes in Brazil are ridiculous.

Last edited by clarabr; 02-14-2012 at 06:01 AM.
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote