General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Cleanses -- yay or nay?

I was talking to my cousin today and she was talking about how she does "cleanses" two or three times a year, and she finds that it clears out her system and helps her stay away from sugar to a large extent. I was curious and to be honest, I'd like to try it sometime, but I'm not...really sure how to go about it. Is there, like, a cleanse product of some type that one can buy, or what? I'm really not clear on how it all works. I know that my cousin does something called the Master Cleanse, but God only knows what that involves (she's into all this New Age, holistic stuff, so...yeah. *L*)

Does anyone here do cleanses? And if so, do you find it helps you at all with any particular food cravings? I'd love to try and get rid of my sugar jones, but honestly, just trying to cut it out doesn't seem to be working. If I could just rid my system of any traces of sugar so that I don't crave it anymore, I'd be thrilled. *L*
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #2  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Most cleanses are very hard on your body.
Do you feel you could drink a certain mixture and just that for a few days?
Could you skip eating hard foods for a few days?
Could you follow a prescribed list of drinks/foods for a few days and only those foods?
Are you prepared to spend lots of time on the toilet, followed by constipation?

Some people will swear by cleanses but unless you're having a colonoscopy there is no reason to clean your insides to such a degree.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #3  

I do cleanses a couple time a year. I don't think it's necessary to do one for more than 24 hours. Mine normally consist of fresh juices I make with my juicer (mostly vegetables and a little bit of fruit). It's a nice sort of kick start to your healthy eating because it cleans the slate. If you've been eating a lot of processed food or meats, there might be some stuff caught in your intestines, and a juice cleanse would help clean it out. I do my juice thing cause I don't trust the ingredients in a lot of the cleanses that are out on the market.
sblove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #4  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblove View Post
I do cleanses a couple time a year. I don't think it's necessary to do one for more than 24 hours. Mine normally consist of fresh juices I make with my juicer (mostly vegetables and a little bit of fruit). It's a nice sort of kick start to your healthy eating because it cleans the slate. If you've been eating a lot of processed food or meats, there might be some stuff caught in your intestines, and a juice cleanse would help clean it out. I do my juice thing cause I don't trust the ingredients in a lot of the cleanses that are out on the market.
Hmmm. Well....actually, I don't eat a lot of red meat, and I don't eat any processed foods at all, so maybe there's no need to do a "cleanse" anyway. As for the sugar, well, I might just need to kick that on my own. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #5  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
Do you feel you could drink a certain mixture and just that for a few days?
No, probably not. *L* I may have lost a fair amount of weight, but let's just say I didn't lose it by not eating. I still have a pretty good appetite and the thought of totally restricting myself, even for a few days, is not a pleasant one.

Quote:
Could you skip eating hard foods for a few days?
Probably, but I'd be cranky as ****, I'm pretty sure. *L*

Quote:
Could you follow a prescribed list of drinks/foods for a few days and only those foods?
Most likely, no. I don't do well with "restrictive" diets, even for a short period of time. It's a good thing I don't have any conditions that require special diets; I wouldn't do very well. *L*

Quote:
Are you prepared to spend lots of time on the toilet, followed by constipation?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. I'd probably be *prepared* to, but I just can't. I work, and I can't be running off to the bathroom every ten minutes. And I cannot *stand* being constipated, it freaks me out.

Quote:
Some people will swear by cleanses but unless you're having a colonoscopy there is no reason to clean your insides to such a degree.
Well, thank you so much for your input. You've....pretty much made my decision a LOT easier. *L* No cleanses for me!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

A few years back, someone got me into using a bunch of ******** products and they had you cleanse once a week or every two weeks, I forget. It involved drinking this really nasty mixture as well as so much water that it was a struggle to get it all down. I don't recall feeling especially healthy after doing it. I wasn't sick but I wasn't like, "Wow, I feel great!"

Personally, after having tried one way of cleansing, I wouldn't suggest it.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize that word was censored.

Last edited by Nadya; 02-01-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote