South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #1  

Default What kind of blender do you use?

I need to get a new blender. I have purchased too many cheap ones over the years and they never seen to last. ( Well..DH may have a hand it that!) I would like to stay in the $100 range. Is this realistic for a long-lasting model? (Will do my best to keep DH away from it.) I would like something that will handle ice. Thanks for any input you may have.
shortchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #2  
Just Jen

S/C/G: 220/tracker/150

Height: 5"3

I just recently bought the Ninja Blender, and it's fantastic! Crushes ice like nothing..it was about $100 and worth every penny! It's nice too, cause it has blades kindof all the way up, as opposed to most blenders that just have a small one at the bottom!
boardriider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Over the years I've wasted far too much money on blenders that work great the first few months, then go all wimpy on me. Last summer I finally gave in and invested in a Vitamix, and I absolutely love it. Yes, they are expensive, but I'll save money in the long run by not having to buy a new blender every couple of years.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 01-27-2012 at 02:39 PM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #4  

I have an old Oster Blender, it does everything. And we just purchased a Breville Juice Fountain, which I am in love with.

But I know the Vita Mix is an excellent machine and have heard good things about the Ninja as well.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Which Breville did you get Chickadee? I've been wanting one and may use DW's current food situation as my excuse to get one. I am such a kitchen toy fiend
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #6  

Cyndi we got the BJE5510XL/A, we found a guy on ebay that had them and at what we thought was a good price. They are so easy to clean.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I use my immersion blender for nearly everything, and it has worked fantastic for me. Rarely, I bring out the big blender.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

I have a tiny hand blender that I use most of the time. When I need to get serious I use my food processor, although that doesn't do ice.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #9  

I got a Ninja for Christmas, I think they are about $100.
I was excited to make my protein shakes and smoothies. It does an okay job but I recently started adding greens to my smoothies and they always come out chunky.

I am really wanting to keep up on the green smoothies but chunky smoothies are no fun to drink. I am searching for a new blender too. I've heard so much about Vitamix and this comparison makes it sound so much better than my Ninja - gotgreensrevolution.com/Vitamix-vs-Ninja-Review.html

I'm considering a Reconditioned Vitamix which is $379, instead of the normal $450 or $500. Am I doing the right thing? is there something just as good for less?
snowchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I hesitated and researched for a couple of years before buying my VitaMix. I absolutely love it and wish I hadn't bothered with the last Cuisinart. It was never going to do what I wanted it to do - smoothies with nuts and fresh produce. It was a toss-up between the VitaMix and the Blendtec. Ultimately I just went with the company that had been around longer. It is expensive but it will do what you want and it had a great warranty.

ETA - it also makes nut butter from any kind of nut or seed, something my DW enjoys very much

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-05-2012 at 04:13 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #11  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I have had like 6 different cheap <$100 blenders over the years and they always give out after a few months.

I had been eyeing the Vitamixes and my dad told me that my mom had planned to get me one for Christmas but she did some research and ended up getting me a Bosch mixer with a blender attachment for about the same price. She's had her Bosch for over 20 years and the thing is still kicking! Anyway, that thing is a BEAST. If you're ready to invest in a powerful machine it gets my recommendation hands down. It completely liquifies greens.

The first time I made a smoothie with it my 7 year old said "Whoa!! This is like Jamba Juice, how did you make it not chunky at home???"

Plus, the mixer itself is amazing for all sorts of things .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #12  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

I had a cuisinart blender and couldn't stand it. Gave it to my daughter.
So now I'm in the same league as Matilda, and it serves my purposes beautifully.
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote