Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Exclamation NEED something like the BodyBugg but...

Okay so I have been wanting so badly to purchase the bodybugg so I can truly know how many calories I burn during the day. But being a broke college student, I am thrown off by the price. If I really wanted to I could save up and purchase it but the fact that there is a monthly fee to access all of your information is just something I cannot do. So my questions for you fellow calorie counters is, what do you use? and is there something similar to the bodybugg that doesn't have a monthly fee? Please help!
whatupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/130/125

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatupton View Post
Okay so I have been wanting so badly to purchase the bodybugg so I can truly know how many calories I burn during the day. But being a broke college student, I am thrown off by the price. If I really wanted to I could save up and purchase it but the fact that there is a monthly fee to access all of your information is just something I cannot do. So my questions for you fellow calorie counters is, what do you use? and is there something similar to the bodybugg that doesn't have a monthly fee? Please help!

It sounds like the Fitbit might be perfect for you. The cost is about $100, and there is no monthly fee. The website is easy to use, and the customer service is great. It gives you calorie burn. There is some other data that it doesn't give you that BodyBugg might, but I don't miss that at all. Also, it's a little device that you wear on your bra, so it's more comfortable than an armband. I've been using it since September, and it's a big reason I have lost weight.

My activity level can vary wildly from day to day -- I might be sedentary one day, and run a half marathon the next. This has taken the guesswork out of how many calories I eat.
Queen Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #3  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

1. even though i have the bodymediafit (which is the same as the bodybugg) and enjoy it, it actually didn't really change the plan that i am following i.e. i am still eating the same calorie level as before i got it and am still working out 3-5 times a week. so while it is a fun thing to have, i don't think that you're missing out by not having one.

2. that being said, you might be interested in a heart rate monitor so you can find out how much you burn when you work out. the HRMS that have a chest strap are much more accurate and i recommend even the base model one by polar. I got mine on sale at big 5 and had a coupon and it only put me back about 40 dollars.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #4  

Thanks ladies! I looked into the fitbit and it looks really awesome, this is probably what I will eventually save up for. And jayohwhy thanks for the number 1 part of your post, I have been worried that I am "missing out" by not having one. It's nice to know that even if I dont get one right away Im still not too far off by doing what I am already doing.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

the body bugg isnt that expensive and there is a 30% coupon out there
mgruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186.6/181/164

Height: 5' 8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgruce View Post
the body bugg isnt that expensive and there is a 30% coupon out there
It is to lots of people - especially broke college students!
LondonGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #7  

I'm enough of a geek that I would consider getting the BB or the BMF in addition to my Fitbit! I love playing with numbers and it probably wouldn't bother me to wear the armband.

But when I was trying to decide which one to purchase initially, I read some comparative reviews, and figured that the extra features of the BB/BMF just weren't enough to warrant the expense (and the hassle of the armband) over the Fitbit, so I went with that. I haven't looked back. People who have both tell me that they get the same information from either.

However, like I said, I might one day get both, if I suddenly feel like spending money. I love gadgets and buy too many of them!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186.6/181/164

Height: 5' 8.5"

I have been doing some reading up - the Fitbit only monitors movement, so it is assuming your BMR and working out calories burnt from that. The BodyBugg apparently uses other factors, like body temperature and some other sciencey things. Surely the BodyBugg is the more accurate option then? The Fitbit sounds like it is just a fancy pedometer?

Am I missing something here?
LondonGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

I have been using my fitbit for the past three days and I have to say that it has helped me to remain a lot more active than if I wasn't wearing it. I find myself eager to climb 10 flights of stairs, then yesterday I made it to 20. Today I am hoping to make it up to 25 to get my next badge! I love that I can wear it on my bra and forget about it (I have a pretty decent sized chest so even in semi-clingy shirts it doesn't show) then have so much data to mess around with once I get home. I love the wireless capabilities and the fact that their website is for free, plus you can connect it to various other websites (I think myfitnesspal is one?) if you want a better food logger.

Basically I toss my vote in for the fitbit instead of the bodybugg, and this is from a recently broke graduate student!
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #10  

Fitbit is currently beta-testing integration with MyFitnessPal, so it should be coming soon.

It does integrate with LoseIt, and the Withings Scale, and maybe some others. I haven't started playing with these yet. It would be cool to get a Withings Scale, but that is a lot of $$$.

I have to agree, the Fitbit has really been motivating me to burn more calories, too, especially lately. It just hit me that I really need to watch my calorie deficit each day and keep it over 500 if I'm going to reach my challenge goal. I don't know how I'd do this without the Fitbit. It would be a lot more guesswork. (Of course, the BB or BMF would do the same thing, but I am also a poor grad student.)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonGirl88 View Post
I have been doing some reading up - the Fitbit only monitors movement, so it is assuming your BMR and working out calories burnt from that. The BodyBugg apparently uses other factors, like body temperature and some other sciencey things. Surely the BodyBugg is the more accurate option then? The Fitbit sounds like it is just a fancy pedometer?

Am I missing something here?

I think you basically got it right! It really is a pedometer on steroids. The Fitbit Ultra measures altitude, too (I don't have that version).

The Fitbit also measures how fast you are taking steps, though, so there is an intensity factor there, and it organizes the information on the website in a way that is very useful.

The BB/BMF does measure other things, and for some people, that might be an important factor.

You can enter some of these activities (like weight training) manually on the Fitbit, so there is a way to take these things into account. But it would be an estimate, not an actual reading.

My sense is that the two are equally accurate (people who have worn both simultaneously tell me this), and that the BB/BMF measures more parameters but is more expensive and inconvenient, and to me, it's not worth it. But to someone who does a lot of strength training or something like that, it might be. I'm more of a runner/walker.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #12  

Thanks for all the input! Well I did so much talking about the fitbit around my boyfriend that he (without me knowing) ordered one and had it overnighted so I could use it ASAP. And let me tell you I LOVE IT!! Im so happy I have it, it really motivates me and pushes me to move more!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #13  

Yay! I'm excited for you! I've had mine since September, and it's been such a great tool in my weight loss!