Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #1  
It's a daily choice!

S/C/G: 230.8/227.4/132

Height: 5"1

Angry Why do I do this? I must be crazy!

I really really need to lose weight, both my parents are diabetic, I'm pre-diabetic, high cholesterol, knees starting to hurt, etc. Started Weight watchers Dec 12th, lost 4 lbs 1st week, gained 0.6 the second week (Week of Christmas) and this week I'm just out of control and I don't know what to do! There was frosted brownies and chocolate cake in the office, I scarfed down three brownies and half the dang cake before I even came up for air! I just totally lost control, it was like someone or something took over. Now I'm depressed and upset with myself. I do this often. How do I stop this madness?
sparksrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I feel ya, i do the same thing sometimes and then I get so upset with myself. The best thing I did was did the IP diet and now I can't eat as much and I don't crave as much. However, I need to get back on and get to goal. I don't keep any "crap" in the house, no one here needs to be eating it, it was hard over the holidays with people bringing stuff. Back on track to a Healthy 2012!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #3  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

Did you completely cut out every single thing you love when you started your diet? If so, it sounds like you're depriving yourself waaaaay too much that your body is responding by "freaking out" essentially.

Have you tried other alternatives to this? If you're craving chocolate people have suggested having a nice cup of sugar free/low calorie hot chocolate or something along those lines such as sugar free chocolate pudding snack cup. That's what I use anyway lol. They are not very many calories, but you also don't have the "deprivation" feeling anymore either win win!

Don't be too hard on yourself, sometimes these things happen. Just get up, brush yourself off & try again!
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #4  
It's a daily choice!

What's the IP diet? I have tried substituting things, and I really have allowed myself little treats here and there, even had cookies and cake at Christmas, but I was still in control. Today at my office I just went nuts, it was a little scary!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #5  
It's a daily choice!

Your so right! I never really looked at it that way. It was the choices I have made over the years that have gotten me where I am now and it's the choices I am going to make that will decide where I end up. Thanks for being "brutally" honest with me. I needed to hear those words. It means I was in control, I just made the wrong decision. I am one of those folks who can't have just one.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #6  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

It's also a matter of the sum of choices. If you make 'good' choices more often than 'bad' choices the scale will move in the right direction.
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

No... It's not as simple as "you have a choice". I mean you do, but sugar cravings are like a drug craving. Your body really is screaming at you "I must eat this!!". And, the more sugar you have, the more you want more and the more out of control you feel. Especially if you are pre diabetic. Your body thinks it needs more sugar because of your insulin response.

My suggestion? Lower your carb intake. The cravings go away. I'm not saying go all out low carb, but get rid of the simple sugars except for rare, special occasions. Your blood sugars will regulate and you'll get over the cravings. I find it takes me 2-3 days of clean eating to get rid of the urge to snarf sugar. I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, cereals or sweets. I'll eat fruit (not bananas) and veggies though. I eat high protien and high good fats to make the majority of my calories.

By eating that way for a year I have so much more control over my eating and my blood sugars are now perfect.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 12-30-2011 at 07:52 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #8  
Melissa

But that is if you realize your triggers. The OP may not realize why she lost control and then it did become an out of control situation as her body's signals mess with her head. it is a very scary feeling when you realize "omg what am I doing? Why can't I stop?". And then you just get scared and then it happens again... When you are an alcoholic, I assume, you figure out its the alcohol that is messing with you. It's not so easy with sugar. If you don't know to avoid it, then you keep making the same mistakes over and over and not understanding you are setting yourself up for failure. To make a choice, you need to have more understanding. I didn't get that the first time I lost weight... Gained it all back and that fear of being so out of control kept me from trying to lose weight for over 10 years. This time I learned that sugar is the enemy and it makes me do crazy things.... So does lack of sleep. So now I know I have a choice to skip simple sugars and to get enough sleep if I want to eat right and stay healthy and fit.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #9  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

Sugar addiction? This documentary really opened my eyes about some of the harms of sugar that you might not regularly think about:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/big-sugar/
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #10  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

To comment on BerryBlondeBoys post and Kara's, two very knowledgable and awesome ladies, I will say this....

Have you ever gotten so frustrated or angry that you did something you normally wouldn't ever do when not frustrated or angry? Have you ever just slammed a car door or an office drawer? Bang on your computer keys or throw something across the room? Have you ever had that "seeing red" moment? Or even just saying something nasty you wish you could take back? I know I have a few times in my life. It's like the irrational side of the brain took over the rational one. And I was left standing there wondering what the heck just happened! What was that demon that took over me? A complete and utter out of body experience.

I totally understand how this phenomenon happens to those addicted to sugar or carbs. Do us sugar/carb addicts have the choice to not indulge or overindulge? Absolutely! But are there moments for many of us that when we "see red" we just mindlessly eat these things recklessly? Yup!

So, for me, I do see both points of view when I read BBB and Kara's responses.

But I'm happy to say that we can all reach the "just say no!" phase. Whether it be anger management or food management. It just takes time and constant awareness. And a lot of tongue biting along the way.

Last edited by ShanIAm; 12-30-2011 at 08:36 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #11  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
The trick is to catch it at the point that my mind is saying "no no no" and LISTEN!! And getting to that point ... that's hard. But we can all do it!
OK, I know I am high jacking this thread, sorry! But I totally agree. I remember not too long ago when I was very far into my journey that I found myself staring at the clock knowing I had time to get dressed, throw on a coat and drive to McDonalds for a fast food feast. I made it to my car, out the driveway and up the road before I exclaimed, "What the f*** are you doing?!?". I turned around and went home. I didn't have my happy meal but I did have a happy face.

I guess my point is that regardless of how little or how far you are into your journey incidents like this will happen. But like anything else that requires endurance it takes time to build.

I'm just chock full of little antidotes tonight, huh? LOL But I'm having "a moment" tonight and need to keep my mind busy.

Thread highjack over. Carry on....
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #12  
Melissa

I had a similar drive to mcDs too... So crazy how we get crazy.... And for me I have found its usually tied to lack of sleep... I now remind my husband when he wants to keep me up late to watch a movie that lack of sleep for me leads to bad decisions the next day... Bad food choices and more likely to skip working out. So he is making a choice too - what's more important? A movie or a healthy wife?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #13  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

I def. see both Kara and BBB responses and I like both....

I def. believe we have a choice, a choice to say no a choice to say yes and a choice to stop except alot of us struggle with an all or nothing thinking. Its kinda like when I started and had a bite so screw this let me eat it all and then beat myself up over this...Food does provide a high, its a great escape to dealing with feelings more like numbs us and takes the focus off of what is really going on, pretty much like drugs and alcohol.....Also some foods might trigger certain reactions and which then leads us to believe that we need it now and need it big, instant gratification......
Have you ever tried the STOP method....we all have tricks and ways we keep ourselves in check and nothing is bulletproof because we live and we learn and sometimes need to fall before we tell ourselves enough is enough...the key is never give up and keep trying because just as much as you choose to indulge I am sure there are also times you have been able to say no..again you have a choice and again like the other posters have said well if you are aware of your triggers then you can find ways around this....
I like this method...
STOPP- Stop
Take a deep breathe
Observe any feelings..what's going on? what are those emotions you are experiencing or trying to run from? notice body sensations, triggers, what are you thinking?
Pull back / Put in some Perspective. What’s the bigger picture? Take the helicopter view. Is this fact or opinion? How would someone else see this? Is there another way of looking at this?
Practice what works. What is the best thing to do right now –
for me, for others, for the situation.

Again nothing is bulletproof but the key is to know what are your options and build different skills to help you....Just my two cents.
AH.
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote