Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Curious about Simply Filling...but also VERY confused....

I've been wanting to try Simply Filling for a bit (even just for a couple of days) but, even though my leader did a whole meeting last week on the program, it's still kind of confusing to me. I was going to post this in the Simply Filling thread, but that just seems to be devoted to weekly chats, so...if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it. I'd just like to get some input from people who may have done the plan before and know what they're doing.

So, I understand that the point of Simply Filling is that you don't have to track any Power Foods that you eat. That's great...except, I'm confused over how you tell whether some things are Power Foods or not. Like, my guide says that "light" breads and rolls are considered Power Foods, but how do you tell which ones are "light"? Is there a calorie requirement or something? I don't get it.

And my guide lists "pretzel rods" as a Power Food. What's the difference between pretzel rods and pretzel sticks? And why are pretzel rods considered a Power Food while pretzel sticks aren't? This is the stuff that confuses me.

And dairy products...especially milk. Like, I know that fat-free milk is considered a Power Food, but apparently (again, according to my WW food guide) 2% milk isn't a Power Food. But I *hate* fat-free milk. HATE IT. Like, I refuse to drink it, it makes me gag. So because I can only drink 2% milk, I can't count that as a Power Food?

I guess I just don't get how some healthy food choices aren't considered Power Foods even though they ARE good for you. The milk is the thing I keep coming back to, because, like, if the only milk that's a Power Food is fat-free milk, then sorry, I won't be drinking it. And if I can't drink 2% milk, then I won't be drinking ANY, and...well, isn't drinking 2% milk better than drinking no milk at all?

This is the stuff that confuses me, and the stuff that makes me think I wouldn't be able to handle the Simply Filling program. Which sucks, because sometimes tracking really gets on my nerves and I wish that I could take a "day off" with Simply Filling.

Can anyone else relate to any of this, or is it just me?
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

Height: 5'5

I don't do the SFT, but on the milk or anything else that is not on the list you count from your weeklies. I too do not understand WW thinking on many things and will not eat fat free anything, franken food to me. I have seen mentioned that light breads are like 2-3 pt per servings and potatoes are on it but now have gone up big in pts???? Sorry can't help you much and understand the frustration, but posting this in the other forum sure can't hurt.
Dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/ 168/ STG 160/ LTG 145

Height: 5'4"

I don't know much about simply filling, but I do know there is "light" bread out there.. if it's not on the label as "light", then it shows as "reduced calorie"- usually under 100 cal per serving, in my experience. Also, I won't eat/drink fat-free, so if I choose to keep eating/drinking the low-fat version, it's choosing to count it towards the weeklies, or however that works. I agree that it's (fat-free) not healthy- they add sugar and other fillers to make it taste better, and I'd rather have the bit extra fat, personally.
girlsenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 177.4/CW/135.0

Height: 5'5"

Hi. I did Simply Filling from February 2011 to July 2011 on the new plan and absolutely LOVED it.

We don't have light bread in Canada so I counted my points for that. In Quebec I found a bread that is 2 points per slice. So, for the few times I had sandwiches or toast, it was worth counting the points.

Unless it's changed, all items with a little green triangle are power foods.

ALL dairy must be fat-free. If it's not, you need to count it.

You get 2 free teaspoons of healthy oil per day - my preference is extra virgin olive oil.

Grains, rice, pasta must be whole wheat. I think there's another pasta you can have (multi-grain or something, check the book).

I once drove down to Up-State New York to buy some fat-free dairy (feta, shredded mozzarella, etc.) and I found some light bread there. I don't remember the brands.

Also, portion sizes are very important. It's really easy to get carried away. I started each meal by measuring portions: on the scale please 3 oz. cooked skinless chicken breast, 1 cup quinoa, etc. If I was still hungry, then I went for more.

My 49 weeklies were used up mainly on bread, extra tsps. of oil here and there and a few glasses of red wine (1 point per ounce).

Simply Filling is simply food in its' most basic form. Nothing transformed. It keeps you fuller longer on much less. I say it's worth a try.

As for your 2% milk, go ahead, have it and count it out of your weeklies.

My progress on Simply Filling: I lost 20 lbs. in 20 weeks. I was more than happy with that. A September trip to Scotland brought most of the weight back on and I quit smoking on November 1st. Don't ask LOL. After the Holidays, I'll be back for good!!!
dixiecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

This may be unorthodox, but on the milk, just count the difference in points between the non-fat and the 2%, which is about a point per cup. I'm with you - I would much rather have the fat than all the stuff they put in the non-fat stuff to make it palatable.

I eat mostly power foods, though I track what I eat. I make most of my food from scratch, and I track the number of points every day that aren't power foods just to see how well I'm doing. Usually I average around 7. I haven't actually done simply filling, but since I almost follow it anyway I'm thinking I might try it at one point. I know I struggle a lot less with hunger when I eat power foods, including full-fat dairy. So for me, eating that way is key to my success.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

The key is to watch your portions, so don't eat the whole bag of pretzels. And if you have 2 cups of 2% milk, what the point difference between that and nonfat? Probably 1 point, that's what I'd count. Again, you aren't having the whole gallon.

I tried it and liked it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/141/128

Height: 5'3

We just learned about this in our meeting this morning. It sounds interesting...much like Core but less restricting. What I do love is the emphasis on portion control. I have no clue why people think that b/c you don't have to count the points of the power foods you can eat an unlimited quantity of them (just venting).

Here's what I would do.....write down a sample menu of what you would like to eat. Include your 2% milk, creamer, etc. You may be surprised at how doable the menu is when taking the WAP into consideration.

One woman at my meeting said she gives herself 7 WAPs a day, which is either a nice dessert or a compilation of add-ons to her foods.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Meikmeika; 12-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Meikmeika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #8  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
I guess I just don't get how some healthy food choices aren't considered Power Foods even though they ARE good for you.
This was discussed at the meeting I went too yesterday. The point is that to be a Power Food it isn't enough for the food to be good for you. It has to be a PP "bargain" as my leader put it. Fat free dairy is a bargain where as reduced fat or full fat isn't.

For example, nuts are my favorite snack and are very good for you. But they aren't a power food as they are so many points.

The way people lose weight on Simply Filling is by primarily (except when using WP) eating food that is basically lower point foods that are good for you. Higher point foods may be good for you but if you don't track them you have a huge risk of not losing weight as you take in too many calories.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Koshka put it very nicely.

If you want to drink 2% milk while using Simply Filling, you definitely can! There's no rule that you can't. You'll simply have to use a few Weekly Points for it.

For someone who doesn't like skim milk, this seems to be a good trade off. You can use the Simply Filling technique, and keep track of your milk servings via the Weekly Points.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote