Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 03:32 PM   #1  

Default 12 WEEK CHALLENGE- Week #6

Well, we are at the halfway point in the challenge. How is everyone doing so far?
I don't really have a topic for the week, can anyone else think of anything profound?
I am doing ok, losing much more slowly than last time, but hopefully that means it will be more of a lifetime change in habits for me!
Old 02-12-2003, 11:45 AM   #2  

Thanks for starting up this week's challenge, SaskieMom!

Okay, I've got a topic. Since many of you were saying you focus on exercise now, what kinds of exercise do you do? As for me, I go to the gym. Yesterday I did 40 minutes on the elliptical. I never would have thought I could do that. Never in a million years. I also get on the treadmill for 20 minutes and work out on the weight machines.

I started slowly at the gym. At first, I was too embarrassed to do anything, but the treadmill. As I lost weight, I added some weight machines. I had to lose 40 lbs. to really exercise. Before that, I thought everyone would look at me, the overweight gal, trying to exercise. Silly, isn't it? But now, I like to work out. I feel better when I do. And I miss it when I don't.

How about it? What do you gals do for exercise?

Thanks, Dena
Old 02-12-2003, 01:44 PM   #3  

Hi Dena and saskie. Thanks for getting this started. I tried to come up with a topic this morning after reading saskie's note but drew a blank. Exercise is a good one.

You're probably all tired of hearing about my exercise of choice which is running. The physiotherapist told me yesterday it would be at least another 2 weeks before I can attempt to run again. I'm pretty much devastated. He doesn't even recommend walking because my balance is currently compromised. I guess the only exercise I'll be doing for the next little while are the ones to strengthen my back, knees, hip and abs. Maybe this will get me motivated to start strength training again.

I'm having a hard time with my weight loss goal. Running always helped to compensate for the extra BLTs through the course of the day. Since Christmas, it's been difficult to stick to a lower number of points. Not sure I'll be anywhere near where I want to be by the end of March. Oh well, there's always the next challenge...
Old 02-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Saskie: Thanks for getting us up and running this week!

Dena: Good topic!

Excercise: I'm not as regimented as I'd like to be because that's my style. My main form of exercise is getting out and walking. I also take a yoga class once a week. Since the weather has been so cold and snowy my walking has been limited. I don't really have an excuse either, because where I work we have a Recreation Center where I could be walking the track. This is something I really need to focus on if I'm going to get rid of these pesky pounds I put on at Christmas! The topic this week at the meeting was "Small Change" and this week I'm going to shoot for more movement.

Speaking of which, I was down .4 this morning at my weigh in. I was hoping for a little more than that but I'll take it.

Wed: 20
Thur: 20
Fri: 22
Sat: 33
Sun: 21.5
Mon: 21
Tue: 21.5
Old 02-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #5  

Good topic, Dena!
Seasaw, I hope you get back on track soon! It is not too late for this challenge to help you out, we still have just over 6 weeks!

I think exercise, or lack thereof, is the reason my loss is slower this time around! With the baby, cold weather. and only 2 weeks to finish homework and studying, I don't get a lot in! Right now my main exercise is a 20 minute walking video. For the rest of this month, my goal is to do it or at leat 20 min of exercise 5 days a week.
After Feb is done, so is my class. Then I will add substantial walking as the weather allows! I would love to go to the gym, but don't think it will be feasible for awhile. I love walking, so that is good too!
Old 02-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #6  

I have a couple of sources of exercise: walking, resistance training and volleyball.

The walking is the only consistent one. I do this everyday, longer walks on the weekend. I do not enjoy running, but speed walks will do.

I've been doing resistance training regularly for almost two weeks now. Love it. I can get addicted to this. I hope I keep it up. I feel so much better when I weight train. I bought an exercise ball and sometimes (like this morning) I use it to do a quick 15 minute stretch session (DVD I have is a mix between Pilates and Yoga and very relaxing) and use the ball for the weight training too. Great tool.

I play volleyball once a week, that gets the blood flowing.

This weekend, we're going to buy some more dumbells, we growing out of the ones we have. I'm trying to make this part of my routine. Doing well up to date!

MM
Old 02-14-2003, 12:12 AM   #7  
si, si signora

hi everyone,

I'm a gym rat and I'm okay with that...

I work out on the cardio machines about 40-60 mins a day. I try and go before work and shower and change there. I have to admit its partially to use their hot water and I like to be efficient.

I also walk the dog, walk at lunch, hike and do other types of exercise. I am really trying to incorporate some more yoga into my routine and try running outside.

I realize how much I love to be active after spending the last 16 years being a couch potato.

lala
Old 02-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #8  

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Luv, Dena
Closed Thread