Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers weekly chat November 7 - November 13

For some reason, I've always wanted a stethoscope. Finally bought one at a yard sale - new, although of the simplest quality. I've now had my jollies listening to my heart; I'm alive, thank you very much. Can't think of what else to do with it.

Our scale that disappeared for a few months during our renovation is recovered and I'm back to daily readings. Feels like back in the saddle. It helps me remember all day that I have a reason for sane eating.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

New toys are always fun Bill. I'll bet if you go to Ytube or Google or wherever people go to look up stuff you'll find a bunch of things to do with your stethoscope. I guess finding your scale is a good thing?

I kinda wish I could lose my scale for awhile. It is not co-operating. I will be at a house with no scale from Thursday to Sunday but have a doc's appt. on Saturday so that will keep me in line.

Things are not going well with DH's diet/exercise. I keep seeing ice cream appearing and disappearing in the freezer. I will not interfere or comment. I told him this and I'm sticking to it. I can't control his eating and I'm not his mommy.

Good Monday (oxymoron?) all!

Dagmar (I hate daylight savings time)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

[quote=Mudpie;4098989

Things are not going well with DH's diet/exercise. I keep seeing ice cream appearing and disappearing in the freezer. I will not interfere or comment. I told him this and I'm sticking to it. I can't control his eating and I'm not his mommy.

".Dagmar, congratulations, you are making great strides in "letting go".
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You're doing better with your husband than I am with my mother, Dagmar, as I wish she'd eat more healthily, but I am an enabler instead, and I continue to buy her unhealthy sugary things that she loves, just to see her face light up with pleasure. She is hard to please through actions. I never quite do what she wants, or do it well enough, or do it exactly as she would do it. I think I need to try words instead: Words of thanks, love or praise.

There's another thing behind my getting her this stuff, and it's really, really unhealthy & insane. She is my surrogate for eating things. I get her things that I'd eat, if I would let myself. And like a voyeur, imagine the pleasure of eating them. (At least I don't have to watch.) Yes, sick, sick, sick. This is eating-disorder thinking. Another reason to stop it. Lately it's been fresh doughnuts from the bakery first thing in the morning.

We had a small drama here last night. While I was watching "The Walking Dead," at a particularly horrible episode, my mother -- who had the cat in her lap & was petting him -- discovered an engorged tick on her cat's shoulder blade. So then there were exclamations of disgust and horror (more so than over ghoulish cannibalism on the screen), and tweezers, and a shot glass full of alcohol, and Neosporin for the cat. I have to say, the cat was quite good as I held him through the operation, except for startling a bit at the first pull. We got it out, including the head. Ugly, ugly thing. It took a little while to die in its glass of alcohol, with its little legs waving. Our tiny in-house zombie.

Has anyone dealt with ticks before? Should the cat go to the vet immediately? What should we watch for, to see if Fritz has suffered any adverse effects?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, re: your mother. Mothers are ALWAYS mothers and even if they don't say so, THEY ALWAYS KNOW WHAT IS BEST. I am kidding here, of course but there is a lot of truth to that. They remember taking care of you when you were a helpless infant. they remember the 2AM feedings, they remember the endless diaper changes. They may never vocalize it , but it is just so hard to accept that you are responsible, capable of making your own decisions. If she were to be asked I am sure she would say she is so proud of you and your accomplishments.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-07-2011 at 08:46 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Saef~keep an eye on the kitty, if you see more ticks then I'd recommend going to the vet for a dose of Revolution. If no more ticks, then I wouldn't worry. The first year we had Chico, he got ticks all the time. Then we had the gardeners trim things way back and he hasn't had them at all since. But Revolution is pretty good for keeping bugs off of animals. You squeeze it onto their shoulder once a month--although often you only need one dose.

Funny about the stethoscope, Bill. My friend's daughter was studying to be a nurse and bought one, it was too long (she's really short) so she cut off some of the tubing and threw it away. My friend thought the discarded tubing was drug paraphernalia and got mad at her daughter.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

saef, you're right--that behavior isn't the best.

Your mother's delight is because she thinks you are bringing her food out of love and acceptance. It sounds like that's really not the case.

If your mother were hypothetically to post in the Weight Loss Support forum that her daughter keeps bringing her doughnuts and then disapproving of her weight and eating habits, a dozen 3FC members would jump in and want a confrontation with that daughter...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-07-2011 at 09:11 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

saef I think you are trying to show your mother that you love her. Whatever your own mental state or underlying reasons for buying her the treats there is still that. The original intention is out of goodness.

I am the same way with DH. Whenever I buy DH really good Belgian chocolate (which he'd never get for himself) his whole face lights up when he sees it. I also just bought a mix for pumpkin loaf that I will bake for us. I feel guilty for adding to his weight problem with the treats but I rationalize that I do it out of love and that he'd just go to the store and buy much junkier stuff if I didn't bring these treats home. I do also verbally praise him and tell him I love and care about him. And I hug and kiss him. So I'm both and . Aren't we all?

I better go make dinner now - healthy chicken soup and no chocolate tonite .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

Oh, and Bill, I totally understand your wanting a stethoscope. Remember, I'm an acquisitive creature. I own a 19th century stuffed hummingbird that's posed inside a glass dome. I just bought cast iron window grates from the 1830s-1840s. One of the things I want to get one day is an antique ear trumpet. I've wanted it ever since I went mostly deaf in my left ear. Not because I'm going to make people speak into it, but because it's cool.

What I will likely end up getting is a heart rate monitor. My spin class is obsessed with heart rate checks. The class pauses at least three times for us to check our heart rates. (My old spin class just assumed everyone was working to whatever capacity he or she wanted to.)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #10  

It will be an interesting day today.

We were served with papers in a cross complaint on a job we did back in 2002. We provided, but did not install, a pocket door in a home that was later sold. The new buyer has sued the contractor for leaks all over the house and we were just named in the cross complaint a year and a half later. Strange how neither the original nor new homeowners ever contacted us to either complain or ask that we fix anything. Just sue us. It's such a scam. This is the second time this has happened to us. At least this one is much smaller than the other one which has been going on for about 4 or 5 years now. Ugh.

But, on the upside of things, today I will be writing a check for the FINAL payment to our old business partners! The $13,000 or more per month we've been shucking out for the past 4 years is OVER! (The first year we doubled up payments so we were able to finalize the buy-out in 4 years rather than the 5 that we were originally looking at.) I think we should celebrate, don't you?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hello!
I've missed you all!
I went to Disney with my dd's choir trip-- left Friday and returned Sunday night. Fun but exhausting chaperoning 80 plus kids. Great group of kids though.

Came home to sick doggies though. The kennel said they were fine there. Picked them up Sunday night and they both just slept (after eating) so I didn't think too much about it. Jozi (the Great Dane) had a big lump on her stomach though that wasn't there before (she's got a lot of lumps so they must not have noticed). Yesterday morning Dewey felt terrible-- he was hunched over and wouldn't eat breakfast (neither would Jozi). Before I went to work Dewey threw up copious amounts of fluid. I worried about him all day. When I returned from work, he was still shaking and just wanting to sleep but no more vomiting. He refused dinner (he always eats!) but Jozi did eat dinner. He slept with dd and I last night and this morning seemed much better-- he ate breakfast and did all of his pottying. So I feel much better. Jozi's lump is much smaller too so I'll keep an eye on it-- I think something might have bitten her? Dh chaperoned with me so that was nice but he had to fly out Sunday morning on another business trip.

I've decided that I'm addicted to my scale and not ready to give it up entirely. I've been weighing multiple times a day which is ridiculous. I've decided to wean myself down to once a day in the morning and I did it successfully yesterday. Of course I was up several pounds from my quick Disney trip-- I ate several off plan meals-- but I'm just telling myself that as long as I stay on plan, the scale shouldn't dictate me so much. The scale was down a bit today, so it was good to get that reinforcement.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #12  
Workin' It

Allison - I just saw your post about Amazon Prime. I'm a member and I love it - even before the 'borrow a kindle book' program came about. Does your local library participate in Overdrive? Ours does and we can borrow kindle books from the library now. The only kicker on that is that the library books only download via WiFi, so if you have an older kindle you have to transfer it from your computer via USB.

Dagmar - I second the congrats from Bargoo on letting go of DH's diet.

Saef - I have a Polar FT80 heart rate monitor and I love it.

Michele - sorry that the dogs are sick, but glad that you had a great trip!

Bill - I used to have a stethoscope but I broke it. I found that I used it for more things than just listening to my heart - I checked my own blood pressure with it and a BP cuff, I found a leak in a bike tire with it, I chased my cat around with it.... Thus the breaking it.

This has been a busy few weeks for me, and will likely continue the busy over the next couple of weeks. I know I haven't been around much - hopefully that will settle out soon.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

I've taken to heart what you wrote, Jay, about how other 3FCers would react to someone bringing around unhealthy treats, and you're right. The situation is not quite an exact match, as my mother isn't dieting or weight-conscious, which is what brings most people to this site. But it is awfully close. So I'm trying not to bring food to show love. But I agree, Dagmar, it's difficult.

Alison, does the end of this obligation mean you've got $13,000 more each month to allocate to other expenses in your business? Or even to the profit side? That's certainly worth rejoicing over. It would be like me paying off my mortgage. (Which, actually, I don't want to do too soon, as it gives me one of my few tax breaks.)

Michele, I stand on my scale just once a week, on Friday, but I have not always been as restrained as that. There was a time when I weighed myself first thing in the morning, then at the office (at my then-workplace, we had a scale in the filing cabinet room, where the oldest legal records were still stored before they were digitized) and then again in the evening before bed. And my moods shifted accordingly. I always felt dismal in the evening because, of course, I always weighed more then than I had in the morning. My Day Timer was full of weight notations. This was in the throes of my eating disorder days. A couple months ago, I pulled out that old Day Timer and was appalled at it, as I was by some of the food diaries that I also recovered. I shredded the latter; the flood took the former, as it took all my old diaries and journals. Anyway, when I weigh myself too often, it's a sign that I need to watch myself for other compulsions or obsessions taking hold of me. I understand other frequent weighers are motivated by a sort of scientific curiosity, and learning more about their own personal biology. But with me, it always led to self-castigation and to equating my entire self-worth as a human being with a particular number, and it never meant anything good.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #14  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hey guys, I'm back from vacation. Only up one pound which is probably just water weight from salty restaurant food. I got a good amount of exercise -- walking around all day every day plus about 30 mins each morning (powerwalk or stationary bike at the hotel). My plantar fasciitis feet are not so happy with me for spending endless hours walking through museums though. Oh well. I made relatively good choices at most meals and didn't eat to the point of being uncomfortably full so that was good.

Carter got to go out to the country during the weekend with my in-laws so he was exhausted when we picked him up. He was reportedly well-behaved except for snapping at a stranger and whining too much (no surprises there). Our next trip is in mid-December and my SIL is going to house and dog sit for us. I think I'll worry less for that one because Carter is less whiny when there is only one person in the house and he won't be roughhousing with the other dog so I don't have to worry about him getting hurt.

Now this weekend I have to figure out how to give him a bath without getting him hurt. He's not really capable of running around the house up and down the stairs at top speed like he used to do when he came out of the bath, so we will have to put him on a leash to try to keep him calm. Why is it that dogs freak out when they're wet? It's like he thinks if he runs around he will dry off faster.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #15  

Quote:
Alison, does the end of this obligation mean you've got $13,000 more each month to allocate to other expenses in your business? Or even to the profit side? That's certainly worth rejoicing over. It would be like me paying off my mortgage. (Which, actually, I don't want to do too soon, as it gives me one of my few tax breaks.)
We've been very fortunate. We are able to pay all of our monthly expenses so the extra money will go toward profit and probably next year we'll be able to turn some of those profits over to our employees in the form of profit sharing (which goes into our 401k and profit sharing program for their retirement). We have not done a contribution to their profit sharing for four years. We have been able to give them a year-end and sometimes a summer bonus, though. And I know they appreciate that a lot because they really do live paycheck to paycheck (some of them) and they often ask us for loans when times get tough (we do that with a weekly deduction from their paychecks).

And I hear you on wanting to pay off your mortgage. While I'd really rather own my house free and clear and not have that monthly payment, that is the ONLY tax break we have, too! It is disconcerting, though, to see how much more we'll actually pay toward the house because of all that interest.