Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Women's Pant Suits - Weird Shoulder Thingie?

I haven't worn a suit in about 2 years but I have a job interview in a week so I've been trying on my suits. One of the older ones that I used to wear around 180 fits, but I feel like I'm getting a weird bulge at the shoulder when I bend my arm.

I went to Macy's and tried on a number of suits but they all do the same thing. It's something to do with the shoulder pad. I tried on 14s which seemed to fit, and 12s which were too small, so I don't think it's a sizing thing. And maybe it always did this, I just didn't realize it?

Anyway, I was curious if this is something any of you have noticed when wearing a suit, if it's just a bad fit, if I have weird tiny shoulders and fat arms, or what.

Here's the closest picture I could find to show you kind of what I'm talking about. Take a look her left shoulder and the "dent" right below the shoulderpad because her arm is up. Maybe I'm just oversensitive but it makes me feel like I have weird shelves sitting on my shoulders when I see that. http://www.google.com/imgres?q=women...78&tx=78&ty=55
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If she were to put her arm down straight that would go away. How many of us stand around with our hands on ou hips anyway?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, it just comes with the structuring of a blazer. Guys get the same thing. To be honest, it's not really avoidable, but I agree with bargoo, you probably won't be standing like that very often!
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #4  

It's true, and it looks fine when my arm is down.. Im probably just being paranoid, I just don't remember it looking like that!

Thanks guys.. I'm just overthinking the job hunt probably since it's been awhile.

And Im not going to stand with my hands on my hips...
Old 10-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

I think you have narrow shoulders -- does the shoulder seam extend past your shoulder when your arms are down? I have this issue and just try on a ton of suit jackets. Also try to avoid shoulder pads, there are lots without em these days. Petite sizes (for women 5'4 and shorter) often solve this, but that's not gonna work for you! ;-)

Last edited by crimsons; 10-30-2011 at 10:00 PM.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #6  

I wondered if it was just my shoulders being too narrow.. it's so odd though since I don't think I used to have this problem, and I don't think my shoulders have gotten less broad (wouldn't that be a skeleton thing more than a fat thing?)

Anyway, I will try on a few more and see how it goes. I was in Macy's for a while and I swear every suit had at least "structured shoulders", an embedded thickness in the shoulders, if not a full pad. I really couldn't find one without it.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to take a suit to get tailored.. oy. I've got a week before the interview so I guess I better figure it out.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #7  

No, you can lose shoulder width as you lose weight overall. If you're shopping somewhere with instore alterations (Nordstrom comes to mind), have alterations look at whatever you're considering buying BEFORE you decide to buy.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

I've had difficulty finding quality suits at Macy's. See what else you find nearby, including boutiques, or check out the de$igner sections -- maybe there's a sale rack.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Could you remove the shoulder pads? I always used to do that when I was younger and it seemed like every suit came with them. I have very broad shoulders and never needed the extra help.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote