Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Controversial Topic

Okay, I have been noticing this a lot and have to ask...even though it could prompt heated discussions (though I hope it makes people think as opposed to offending people). Anyway, I have noticed that there are people on this site that have their goal set well higher than what would put them at a healthy BMI. I guess I question that. Some of my questions are this...

Do you not have enough confidence in yourself or the plan to make a healthy BMI your goal?

Has anyone discussed with you the major health issues associated with a BMI in the overweight/obese category?

For yourself...and those who love you, don't you owe it to all to be the HEALTHIEST you that you can possibly be?

I understand that my numbers aren't as big as some, but I don't care if you have 1 pound or 1000 pounds to lose, it is not easy, it takes dedication, and we should ALL have a goal to be the healthiest us we can be!!!

I honestly do post this with concern. I want to see us all succeed and I want to encourage anyone I can to end the trend of obesity!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

BMI is a limited measure. It does not take into account muscle mass, so if you're more muscular, you'll have a higher BMI than someone without that muscle mass, even though you are both stronger and healthier. BMI was actually never intended to measure a single individual's fitness level. Instead, it was designed to assess a population. It does OK assessing populations, but doesn't provide an end-all-be-all of whether an individual is healthy or not.

In any case, the lowest mortality rates, if you look across population and BMI, are at the very top of the "normal" range (BMIs between 22-24.9). Those in the 18.5-22 range ("Normal" by BMI) have about the same mortality risks as those in the 25-28 range ("Overweight" by BMI).

My end weight is in the "Overweight" range. My body fat percentage, waist, and hip-to-waist ratio, though, are all absolutely within healthy limits, and my doctor actually told me I was too skinny when I got to a normal BMI.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #3  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

My question is how would a person know their BMI with just knowing their weight? Just because you are looking at their height with their goal weight doesn't give you the whole picture or tell you what that persons BMI would be. Plus, there are those that have set a half way goal or will see how they feel at their "goal" weight. I'm not being snotty just trying to figure out how you know what their BMI would be????
Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

I hadn't really noticed this, but I think it's easier psychologically to deal with weight loss in smaller increments -- then start again with a new goal?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

Thank you! I have always gone by the BMI and I just get really concerned when I see people who are shorter...my height and shorter that have goals that seem really high. I want everyone to succeed and I love it that we are all in this together...I just don't want anyone to cheat themselves!!!

I really hope no one takes offense and I am really thankful for your explanation!! I learn soooo much from this site!!! Thank you!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #6  
ND girl

It is a great topic to discuss plus I hope people realize that BMI, the number on the scale, or the number on the tag of their pants is NOT what defines them as a person.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not saying, to add, that BMI has no place. It's great as a starting place, or to give yourself an idea of what might be a good weight to end up at. It's just when you ONLY use BMI, you can set yourself up for trouble.

I always think about this example when I think about weight-based only measures for health. If I was at a BMI of 24.9, and then put on 5 lbs of muscle through heavy weight lifting and a nice clean diet, I'd be fitter and healthier, I'd have a healthier body fat percentage, but I'd move from "normal" to "overweight". Weight by itself is just a piece of the picture.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

The best measurement of "health" is your waist-to-hip ratio and your waist circumference. Visceral fat is stored in the belly region and puts you at risk for heart attack, diabetes, cancer, etc. Your waist measurement is what you want to worry about more than anything.

I think BMI is a good benchmark for someone that's not sure where they need to be...but as you get closer to goal i think a lot of people reevaluate where they want their weight to be. BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass or frame size.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Basically everything mandalinn82 said. While BMI is a decent measure for the general population there are just way too many variables that it doesn't factor in like frame size, body type, muscle mass, health history, physical activity levels etc.

Also, remember, that a goal weight is definitely NOT set in stone. My goal weight of 140 is really more of a range between 155-140 lbs. After I hit 155lbs I'll keep reevaluating where I'm at and where I want to be. Honestly, at this point I'm pretty happy with my body. I do want to lose more around my waist/arms and don't feel like I'm done because of the effect that this extra weight as on my joints but beyond that I'm in pretty good shape for still being 18lbs overweight. I could see how someone that maybe didn't have the same history as myself could stop here and be happy.

Remember too that everyone treats weight loss from a different angle. It seems like for you the best thing is to focus on the goal and work towards it. Others get overwhelmed by how much they have to lose and want to set smaller goals. Many have never been at a low weight EVER in their adult lives and just don't know what to expect when they get there. If you've always been over 200lbs it's hard to imagine what the difference will be between 170lbs and 150lbs. My lowest adult weight is 175lbs and so I'm currently in uncharted territory. I really don't know what to expect with the next 10, 20lbs lost.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #10  

That people do not share your particular goals does not mean that they lack confidence or are somehow not concerned about their health or are ignorant.

You might google "concern troll." Because whether or not you intended it, you're very close.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #11  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsons View Post
I hadn't really noticed this, but I think it's easier psychologically to deal with weight loss in smaller increments -- then start again with a new goal?
this! I think a lot of people are working on 'mini goals'
Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I owe it to myself alone to be the healthiest I can be. However, if just knowing that were enough, I'd never have let myself get fat in the first place.
While for me - and I stress, "for me" - weightloss is purely a matter of calories in vs calories out, simply knowing I should eat less and weigh less is not enough, and there are huge emotional issues to factor in.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #13  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

My starting BMI was 43 (I know, how did I did in such bad shape) but I probably will never be in a "normal range" but I know when I reach my goal of 210 lbs it is going to be alot lower... On the charts that is still over weight but I know from being a zillon diets I felt good at that weight... Just my thoughts... Good topic for discussion.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/235/180

Height: 5'7

I honestly would look ill if I got into my 'normal' BMI. There is no way I could weigh 150 lbs. and look healthy. My goal is 180 and have been told by my dr. that this is a good weight for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #15  
IP Start Date: 2-18-11

S/C/G: 130/104/110 PH 3

Height: 5'0" Age: 46 (But I'm 29 in my heart & soul)

As far as BMI is concerned, BMI doesn't take all factors into account, age
being one of them. When I started IP I was on the boarder of normal to over weight. In my mind, I was not a normal weight. Buyt now at 102-105 pounds and at the age of 46, BMI now say's I am normal, I for one think I am to skinny even for my petite frame. (which I don't care, I would rather be to skinny then to fat) I do know one thing, my doctor won't like me at this weight, as a matter of fact, she will be pissed! When I spoke to her last year about my weight, she rolled her eyes and told me that I was not 18 anymore and the extra weight was healthy for me. I got her blessing to lose 5 pounds "if it would make me feel better" but nothing more. Yea... I'm avoiding her now... lol!
Closed Thread