Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Default Does anyone eat Quinoa on a regular basis?

I have been eating it twice a day... I do calorie counting but I still have this pre-concieved notion that all the carbs in quinoa are going to make me gain weight. :sigh:
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do watch carbs carefully, because when I limit calories but not carbs, it's harder for me to lose weight. If calories are quite low, I don't gain, but losing is hit or miss.

For myself, I've settled on a low-carb diet exchange plan, and limit bread and starch servings to about 3 per day and fruits also to 3 servings per day.

But what's true for me (45 years old, very sedentary because of pain and mobility and health problems, with diabetes and borderline low-thryoid) isn't necessarily true for you.

It's important to KNOW how carbs effect you, rather than guess, worry or wonder.

I used a food journal for many many months, to learn how different foods affect me. I was shocked to learn that low-carb had such an advantage for me (not only for weight loss, but for improvement of my symptoms). I had always assumed that low-carb was unhealthy and that "a calorie is a calorie" (that I would always lose the same amount of weight on 1500 calories whether the calories came from cake or celery).

I learned that to lose similar amounts of weight, I can eat 1500 calories of high-carb foods or 1800 calories of low-carb food. Even on similar calorie levels I'm far hungrier on high-carb. So, for me - eating low-carb has an obvious advantage.

I can only guess at most of the reasons low-carb works better for me, but again the food journal has given me clues. On a high carb diet, my body temperature is very low, and on low-carb it's closer to normal (otherwise, on a non-low carb diet, my body temperature is never over 98 degrees unless I'm ill).

I also know I have more energy (unless I go super low-carb and then I get severe headaches and other unpleasant symptoms).

None of that may apply to you. You could find that a very high-carb diet keeps you satisfied longer and that you lose better, or a moderate-carb - or you may find there's no difference at all.

Keeping a food and weight journal (and taking notes on how you feel physically and your hunger too) will show you your personal patterns. You won't know until you experiment.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #3  
banned

I do, but I kind of just started really portioning my food, and can't see much of a different yet.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote