WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:54 PM   #1  

Default Points and Walk away the Pounds

Hello Hello!

I recently re-joined WW (lost 83lbs on it 2 years ago!). I have also religiously subscribed to the "cult of Leslie Sansone" and her 2 mile walk - I do it 7 days a week! Last week (week 2 of WW) I lost 4.8 lbs eating at the bottom (22 points) of my points range. This week, I did the same - 22 points per day and Leslie every day too and GAINED .2 lbs (ok, so it's only .2 but still - you all know what I mean!!!) I did lose inches and the pants are fitting looser by the day! (HOORAY!)

Now, I'm thinking that I gained because I'm exercising and eating at the low end of my range and that to remedy this, I should just tack on an extra point or 2 every day.

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance - ANY advice whatsoever is appreciated!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 11:20 PM   #2  

I'm new to WW as well. I've lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks and I have been doing the 2 mile WATP religiously for about 2 weeks. I don't know if I'm in any position to offer advice, but my leader told me to make sure that I eat all over my point range. If I eat the minimum points one day, eat the maximum the next, and somewhere in between the following day. She said that this keeps your metabolism up. Hope this helps!! Good luck to you!!
Old 01-30-2003, 09:43 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

You gain was probably water weight gain in the muscles. When you start or change your exercise program (increase or decrease intensity) your muscles hold water until they adjust. Additionally you will probably need to increase the points you eat each day because your body needs more nutritients/calories when you add exercise. If you don't you are starting your body off into starvation mode and slowing your metabolism.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:07 PM   #4  

I too am doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Lbs., the 2 mile walk. From exercising you probably gained some muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. I have found that the true way to measure your success is by inches lost. Hope this helps you.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:55 AM   #5  

Height: 6'0"

How could muscle weigh more than fat? A pound is a pound.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #6  

I don't know why muscle weighs more than fat, but it does. If you check out the BFL thread, as they all weight train, maybe they can answer why muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound, but it's better to gain a pound of muscle than a pound of fat. A lot of people judge their progress by the way their clothes feel rather than numbers on a scale.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #7  

Muscle does not weigh more than fat; it is more dense than fat, and that saying is not quite right. A pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of fat takes up more room than a pound of muscle. So, say you lost a pound of fat but gained a pound of muscle in your butt. You would weigh the same, but your butt would be smaller and your pants would fir looser.

That's why your weight can stay the same but you lose inches. That's also why you should not soley focus on the scale. Myself, I wouldn't care if I weighed 200 lbs if I could fit in a size 10 jeans!

Think of it this way: a pound of lead bb's weighs the same as a pound of feathers. However, you could probably hold the bb's in your hand. You sure can't hold a whole pound of feathers in your hand!
Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 PM   #8  

StraitLover, Ya, I'm with you. I wouldn't care being 200 lb. either and wearing size 10 jeans

Monique, thank you for setting the matter straight that muscle does not weigh more than fat. I've heard and seen a lot of people saying just that.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:13 PM   #9  

Angry

Maybe you need to check out this week's copy of Woman's World. It has an article about varying your weight watcher's points from day to day in order to keep your metabolism stoked. It's on pages 20-23. It was really interesting and made a lot of sense. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:22 PM   #10  

Naive question-how fast do you have to walk for Leslie's 2 mile walk. I haven't heard of it before..can anyone fill me in?
Old 02-07-2003, 12:24 PM   #11  

Default oops

silly me-thought it was an outside walk thang but I just checked it out-the tapes look pretty interesting and may go pick one up myself (especially since its minus 20 today!)
Old 02-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #12  

The tapes really are great. My only issues is that (obviously) they never change! Same conversations about Jody's baby and how much Deb likes combos every day (tee hee hee ) I'm lucky that my sister does it with me every night so we catch up on the days' gossip while walking. Otherwise - I love them!
Closed Thread