Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Not Eating "Enough" Some Days?

Does anyone have information on the effects of eating less than 1200 calories on some days?

I typically eat 1200-1500. Some days I go over. And other days I find myself sitting at around 600 and I just don't feel hungry. Like today - even if I eat a large-ish dinner, I'll be around 900-1000 for the day.

I've heard it can slow your metabolism to be under 1200 consistently, but I have to wonder what the harm is in 1-2 days a week, if other days I'm eating enough to make up for it (eg 1500 or more?).

Just curious as it seems counterintuitive to force myself to eat when I'm feeling reasonably full, and have had several healthy meals throughout the day. The quick fix would be to keep something like ice cream or nuts around that I can always find room for (lol) but I really can't do that - I will eat them all up. (Single-serving ice cream I can handle to some extent, but a bag of nuts is just a calorie binge waiting to happen.) Atkins shakes are sometimes a nice compromise since I typically don't crave one after another, but since I've been too lazy to go to Wal-mart the past week, I've stopped missing them and am hesitant to reintroduce them if I'm not feeling chocolate cravings.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this problem sometimes?

Edited to add: To be clear, it's not that I CAN'T eat - I just don't want anything that's very healthy, and I don't see the point in feeding myself unhealthy things if I'm not hungry / not craving it. I'd almost rather "save" the calories for later in the week when I do get some weird craving. If someone took me to DQ and said "Lo, the Large Peanut Butter Blizzard will be calorie-free today", I'd be all over that.

Last edited by my2cats; 08-28-2011 at 05:57 PM.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I believe it would be fine.

Our bodies are designed to go a few days without food, which is why they hold onto fat so stubbornly. An extra low cal day here and there shouldn't do any harm. If you normaly eat 1200 ish cals per day, a 600 day thrown in shouldn't slow your metabolism below 1200.

also you need to seriously go into starvation mode..ie a week+ without food for your blood sugar to drop low enough to cause any sort of permanent damage.

Last edited by Scarlett; 08-28-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote