Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Response to criticisms to IP?

Hey everyone,
I don't know very much about the IP diet, except that it is an evolution of Atkins and that it involves ketosis. I've been hearing things about it, however, that it's dangerous and has bad side effects (with menstrual cycle and bruising, for example).

I also read something that doctors recommend being in ketosis for no more than 14 days. I read that your body starts to eat it's vital organs, and your kidneys are especially at risk.

I haven't come to any conclusions about it, really, but what do those of you on the diet think about all the criticisms and claimed health risks?

What about the plus side- what is your average weekly weight loss on IP?

Here are some of the websites I ran across (but there are a lot of them on google):
http://healthinmotion.wordpress.com/...-protein-diet/
http://healthandfitnessconnection.ne...n-diet-review/

Last edited by kelly315; 08-23-2011 at 12:43 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Im personally not sure why you would bother coming on to an ideal protein setion of the forum where people on here are solely believing in the program and doing it and start to express what you have been hearing about the program.. Besides , you have already found your plan(According to past posts)...So why bother asking such questions about it.

If you are really so curious about said health issues, why dont you get yourself more informed and read the pdf book that the doctor and author of the diet wrote, instead of just believe in websites that have biased opinions against the diet..

I read the two links you posted and i think its a load of crap..the part i think is the load of crap, is the fact that they are written by nutritionists and i happen to know that it is of the oppinion by all nutritionists, thin order to lose weight, you must eat a balanced diet and consume less calories and portions..well guess what? I went to a nutritionist and she told me to eat pasta and brown rice and to eat a balanced diet..and you know what? it did nothing for me...in fact it made worse..cause guess why? i was allergic to gluten and wheat and my body doesnt respond to a balanced diet.. my body responds to a diet higher in protein and lower in carb count..it always has..not every body is created like a cookie cutter to fit a specific mold.

Read the book, get informed and then ask questions..dont assume anything just cause you read on the internet..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #3  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Sorry to come across as a B*tch..i just find it very insensitive to post such links and speak of criticisms when you havent even read the book written by the doctor..I
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I don't think the OP is trying to come across as critical or provoking. It sounds like she is interested in IP but has heard a lot of criticisms about it. However, since people have had great success with IP, she realizes there must be two sides to the story and wants to hear how IP has successfully worked for people- thus coming to the IP board

In other words, I think she is seeking the flip side of information on IP because she's only heard the negative side... and wants to hear both before she decides if she should try it
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #5  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

There are some minor menstrual and bruising side effects. That said, I have been on OP for about 6 months and have had new blood work done recently. You tell me what is more dangerous, having my blood results BEFORE and AFTER? My HDL (good cholesterol) is down slightly because we limit ourselves to 2 tsp olive oil each day. Everything else is stellar! The rest of my complete blood workup showed no adverse effects. IF my organs were "eating themselves", I think something would have shown up as a red flag.

Cholesterol is AFTER:159 BEFORE: 211
Triglycerides AFTER: 53 BEFORE: 104
HDL AFTER: 62 BEFORE: 70
LDL AFTER: 86 BEFORE: 129

I suggest watching a documentary called "Fat Head" if you'd like to learn more about carbs. It's a guy who decided to eat only fast food for 30 days, but limits his carb intake. It's kinda like the rebuttal to "Super Size Me". There are lots of experts on there that he interviews. It's eye opening.

Oh, and it's not an evolution of Atkins. If you look at the beginning of the daily chat thread, there is a link to a PDF written by the doctor who created the diet. I found it interesting and suggest you read it. The "unbalanced approach" resonated with me... That, and the fact that nothing else had really ever worked for me.

A neighbor of mine lost 40lbs from Oct last year to Feb this year. Another friend then did the diet and dropped 30lbs. It's strict, but easy. Don't confuse the two terms. In the beginning, I decided to "give it a week" to try it out. I did a lot of reading, as I too thought it was dangerous.

Now I realize that it's sugar and refined grains that are killing everyone, not fat. Fat doesn't make us fat. Sugar is the reason for high cholesterol and heart disease. The medical community has a vested interest in "searching for the answer" without really ever finding the answer. If they found the answer and the world was full of thin, healthy people, there would be no research money to be had. Nutrition is the answer, but the nutritionists don't get it either. Again, if everyone know to "eat vegetables, meat, and protein to lose weight", then add back fruit, some whole grains but not too many", they would all be out of jobs too.

I've found the answer. If you find something else that works for you, that's great. I'm not judging. But, I suspect if tried IP, it would work for you too. I don't know a single person who has done the program and NOT found success.

Last edited by Pxlkitty4; 08-23-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

I also did the "google" thing before I started IP. I really didn't get too scared off by those random blogs because EVERY "diet" is going to have critics really. Like PxlKitty I tried it for one week first to see if I wanted to do it. I lost 9 pounds in the first week and well that made it a pretty easy decision. (My average is now 3.1/week with a total of 43.8 lbs as of last Tuesday)

If I feel like my body is trying to tell me something different then I would be concerned but I guarantee I am far healthier now than when I started!

As far as actually responding to criticisms from others around me, I have not had to do that. Everyone and their cousin is doing the Herbalife shake thing around here so when I tell people what I am doing they just assume it is the same thing even though it is NOT at all the same thing. I let them think what they wish but in reality those shakes have 24 g of carbs :P
wildflower613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I was put on this diet by my doctor. She puts many of her patients on IP and they are getting off their blood pressure meds, heart meds and statins. Seems like the good must outweigh the bad.
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
Hey everyone,
I don't know very much about the IP diet, except that it is an evolution of Atkins and that it involves ketosis. I've been hearing things about it, however, that it's dangerous and has bad side effects (with menstrual cycle and bruising, for example).

I also read something that doctors recommend being in ketosis for no more than 14 days. I read that your body starts to eat it's vital organs, and your kidneys are especially at risk.

I haven't come to any conclusions about it, really, but what do those of you on the diet think about all the criticisms and claimed health risks?

What about the plus side- what is your average weekly weight loss on IP?

Here are some of the websites I ran across (but there are a lot of them on google):
http://healthinmotion.wordpress.com/...-protein-diet/
http://healthandfitnessconnection.ne...n-diet-review/
Hi Kelly, I'm in Canada....my coach isn't what you may find in the states (the difference is noted on one of the websites you provided). BUT, her coach is a registered nutritionist in Canada (when I met her I asked her specifically where she was trained etc.). So having her explain the entire program more then once really helped me. I send my coach questions for her to ask "XXXXX" (name removed ). I usually get the entire email chain back so I can have her direct answer to my question.

I too did a lot of research on this diet. I think you should do all the research you feel you need to do, including going to a clinic in your area. Ask about their backgrounds and bring up your concerns that you've discovered during your research and see what they say. Make an informed decision....either way, you can do the diet, or you can decide not to.

Really the decision rests with each of us and based on my body type, medication I was on, how much pain I had from the excess weight and how close I was to deciding to do surgery (spending money on this diet vice spending money on surgery). I chose the diet.

Good Luck!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #9  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower613 View Post
I also did the "google" thing before I started IP. I really didn't get too scared off by those random blogs because EVERY "diet" is going to have critics really. Like PxlKitty I tried it for one week first to see if I wanted to do it. I lost 9 pounds in the first week and well that made it a pretty easy decision. (My average is now 3.1/week with a total of 43.8 lbs as of last Tuesday)

If I feel like my body is trying to tell me something different then I would be concerned but I guarantee I am far healthier now than when I started!

As far as actually responding to criticisms from others around me, I have not had to do that. Everyone and their cousin is doing the Herbalife shake thing around here so when I tell people what I am doing they just assume it is the same thing even though it is NOT at all the same thing. I let them think what they wish but in reality those shakes have 24 g of carbs :P
Yes I also did the google thing and read the negative criticisms but I was always sold on low carb. I lost 50 lbs on Atkins back in 2002 and never felt better. I always had a lot of criticism during that time but I felt great and was losing and never had any bad side effects. I also kept it off. Gradually over the years I gained back some when I was eating like a pig but I never did gain it all back and now I'm reversing it again.

I was impressed by the successes I saw on 3 fat chicks but I was also really bowled over by this testimonial on the idealprotein website:
Eldon Clendening

I want to help you get the message out about Ideal Protein helping in other ways besides losing weight. Weight loss is not my goal. However I look forward to my Ideal Protein everyday and it is a great source of protein. I have now passed the third year since the Doctors diagnosed me with bone cancer. I am doing very well, living in a third world country and running an orphanage. There are many disadvantages living in the Philippines, i.e. the sanitation conditions, primary TB being active in 80 percent of the local residents in our area, extreme heat and humidity, We take children from near death situations from dump areas with no running water, no electricity, and no food. They are brought into the orphanage, given medical and dental attention, fed nutritious food, educated, and above all, they are loved. I am grateful for the strength to meet the many challenges and thankful for the Ideal Protein drinks.

My favorite Ideal Protein drink is cappuccino and I cannot imagine a day without having it. Ideal Protein is something oncologists should consider recommending to all their patients to help them receive an adequate amount of protein.
I've been on it for almost four weeks. I have my fourth weigh in tmorrow and so far I've lost 15 pounds and it's been easy. I love that I love the food and I have absolutely no cravings and no hunger.

Most of the people I tell about Ideal Protein are intrigued and some of them are checking it out.

Just my two cents.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Pothardygirl do not get so angry. Even i was thinking of switching to IP after seeing the results. But, it is too costly for me. So i havedecided to carry on with 17 day diet till it gives me results. May be when it will stop giving me results, i will go to ip.
Indigirl i feel you are right kelly just wants reassurance from you ppl that ip isa good diet . Evidence like pxlkitty will help taking decision.
Pothardygirl you are fine . You must be a young girl, so you reacted like that.
But, in next post you clarified...youare a good person.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #11  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Kelly, I first found out about IP through a co worker who lost 80lbs in what seemed like no time. I thought yeah another fad diet... like all the others. Well when I did the research I found that it isn't like all the others. Yes it is costly to be on, but so is the health crisis of dealing with obese patients. I prefer to get healthy. I have been on IP for 7 months and I have had no health issues. My blood pressure has gone from 165 to 120s and lower some times. I know you are just asking what is so special about IP?
The first is it is only sold through a medical office whether a chiropractic or family doctor. The other thing I found that I liked is there is no counting calories, or anything. Yes as you progress through IP you become more aware of what you are eating and the calorie intake but if you follow the program it works. The other thing that I thought was quite good is NO CHEATS this may be a hard thing to do but I felt if I was going to spend all the money on this it is worth doing it right. The final thing I really liked about this diet is it helps you change the way you think about food. It is to refuel your body, not for your guilty pleasure... though that can be had too!
We have had others that critisize the program too but those of us that follow it and have learned from it are true believers IP is NOT like any other Diet.

I am glad that you found a diet that works for you, just as we have found one that works for us. I know you just started this thread to gain knowledge, and am sorry it wasn't answered in kind but some people are very defensive about IP. I hope we answered your curiousity and your questions. Please feel free to ask questions if I am able to answer them I will. Have a great day.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'11"

My IP clinic is staffed by current and former nurses. They are always available to answer any questions. Also - about the bruising, my coach said that it is in a weird way a good thing. If you are bruising more it is because glycogen and fats aren't clogging up your veins and arteries. It also has to do with lower levels of insulin - a sign that you are officially in ketosis. (I'm not a medical person, but that is my best recount of her explanation.) Your blood is able to react to minor injuries as it should. So you may see more bruises than you are used to.

Yes, I'm not eating fruits and dairy right now, but I'm taking the supplements to get the nutrition. We ARE eating carbs, just a much lower amount than most people are used to. I've never eaten healthier!

Call an IP clinic and get a consultation. Take a whole list of questions with you. We'd love to have you on our forum!
pselias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I read both of the blog posts that you offer in your original post.

As it is with almost all diets, there is always skepticism and concern over the approach taken by some group of people. Dr Tran acknowledges this will happen and acknowledges he uses an unbalanced diet to correct the health issues leading to weight gain and then returns the dieter to a balanced diet, actually by phase 3.

As for what is missing not much if the dieter chooses their packets correctly. The products offer whey protein (a milk source derivative), the yogurt has actual fruit in it, the oatmeal offers a grain source. We get all vegetables except Artichoke, Avocado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Olives, Parsnips, Peas, (all) Potatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet Corn, Squash, and Yams. Those are added back in phase 3.

We are also missing a large amount of fat. The fat is the general cause of the kidney and other organ damage. It is also, in part, why it is restricted as much as it is in this program.

Not all programs are poorly managed by the undereducated. In the USA programs must be affiliated to a medical professional (at least since 2009) and they are frequently doctors and nurses that are behind the program. It is possible that a coach may not have a medical background and may only have been a user of the diet.

As for the damage caused by being in ketosis long term, I was hoping that one of the blogs that mentioned it would also address that but, they only offered a statement with out supporting proof. Until I see something more substantial to understand said damage, I am not buying into it.

I was in Ketosis from Nov 2009 to June 2010. During that time, I was monitored every 2 weeks to a month by my medical doctor to confirm that there were no damaging effects to be found via my blood work. There were none and my blood work was steadily improved. Not only was there improvement in blood work results like kidney, liver, cholesterol, but, my blood pressure, adrenal, thyroid, and female hormones all began to improve to better than normal points. My blood sugar tests also improved. I have excellent cholesterol levels, low blood pressure, no more GERD, no sleep apnea, more regular blood sugar, and a normal thyroid and adrenal function following this diet.

Could those improvements be attributed to having lost the weight, of course! Losing weight always causes improvement but, you see, I already had good blood work, blood pressure, and acceptable blood sugar results before I began. My only issues were a subhypothyroid disorder and stressed adrenals with occasional hypoglycemia. My point is, as a healthy person, if this diet were going to show that over long term ketosis is a problem, I would have expected to see it show up somewhere. Also, I would have expected having been in ketosis for over 7 months that somewhere in there, if the diet were a problem, it would have showed when my kidney function were tested. Instead, the results showed improved kidney function. Not only that but, this diet which some may suggest is damaging in the long term actually improved my whole results not just one or two.

I know you don't use IP as a diet for your weight loss process. I appreciate that the few posts you have made in our forum have been supportive of our dieters. Those of us here have found something that works and we generally think works well. I am glad you found what works for you too.

I hope somewhere in all of our responses you can see why some people would choose to disregard to opinions of supposedly informed bloggers who fail to support they claims and opinions enough to satisfy us.

Have a good day!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

I wrote this post because I am interested in IP. I love calorie counting, but it looks like you guys lose a lot of weight rapidly, so I was wondering if I might work in some IP. Since I read that article that said it was only safe to be in ketosis for two weeks, I was considering two weeks on IP and a few months off, then going back to it.

But the health concerns worried me, which is why I decided to ask you guys about your responses.

Thanks to those of you who answered- actually, a little while after I posted this, I was reading another webpage about IP, which suggested that irritability and flash-anger were side effects of the diet for some people. Then I came back to the thread and saw the first post, and I was so nervous! I was wondering what kind of wormhole I opened. Luckily, I didn't have to worry. You all were extremely kind and helpful.

But thanks for clearing it up, everyone else. I didn't know the centers had nurses, or very much about the supplements, and thank you for sharing the health benefits of the diet! I'll continue to consider it as an option for me.
Thanks!

porthardygirl- I didn't know that I could access the book online, I assumed it was something I'd have to get in print. I'll check it out.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I wrote this post because I am interested in IP. I love calorie counting, but it looks like you guys lose a lot of weight rapidly, so I was wondering if I might work in some IP. Since I read that article that said it was only safe to be in ketosis for two weeks, I was considering two weeks on IP and a few months off, then going back to it.

But the health concerns worried me, which is why I decided to ask you guys about your responses.

Thanks to those of you who answered- actually, a little while after I posted this, I was reading another webpage about IP, which suggested that irritability and flash-anger were side effects of the diet for some people. Then I came back to the thread and saw the first post, and I was so nervous! I was wondering what kind of wormhole I opened. Luckily, I didn't have to worry. You all were extremely kind and helpful.

But thanks for clearing it up, everyone else. I didn't know the centers had nurses, or very much about the supplements, and thank you for sharing the health benefits of the diet! I'll continue to consider it as an option for me.
Thanks!

porthardygirl- I didn't know that I could access the book online, I assumed it was something I'd have to get in print. I'll check it out.

Yes, being low carb can effect serotonin levels for some people and it can cause some to be a bit more tempermental. That is true for any low carb diet. But, doesn't dieting make some people a bit anyway?

You could try to do this on your own, using the alternative products suggested in our main forum. I am not sure I would pay the price of IP if I were only doing a 2 week stint. In fact, I would say, if you wanted to do this, try it for a month.

You do need to be careful to use the best quality of protein sources so that it is more assimilable and easier on your body. You also need to make sure to get plenty of calcium, magnesium, potssium and sodium as the diet increases fluid and sodium loss and can cause the other elements to be out of balance. Our supplements are designed specifically to support an imbalanced diet. They are not concerned the best supplements if you are on a whole food diet but, we aren't on that and our supplements are designed to complement the diet we are on and the effects the diet creates.

Make sure you reduce your fat to also keep you in a healthier state and see the improvements in cholesterol.

Make sure to drink plenty of water to reduce strain on kidneys, prevent excess dehydration, and support the liver in its role processing fat.

I personally think this is a great diet.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote