Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Smile post-WLS pregnancy

Yup - I'm pregnant! I'm about 10 weeks along (as far as I can tell). I have my first OB appointment today.

It's a bit of a surprise, actually. I stopped my birth control in mid-June because we figured we'd start "trying" in late July, and everything I'd read said it would likely take 6-12 weeks to even become fertile again after taking the last ring out (I was using NuvaRing). Add to that that I only have 1 ovary, and I figured we were in for a few months of trying at least.

But, the powers that be had other plans! Looks like I got myself knocked up in my very first cycle after taking out my last ring. I'm probably due around mid-March.

Eating is HARD. I've lost about 5 pounds in the last week and a half, unintentionally. My appetite, tastes, capacity...it's all different (almost like being a brand new post-op all over again!). So I force myself to eat at least 3 times a day, even if I don't feel like it. I'm working up to 4 times a day. This will definitely be a topic at today's appointment; I know I have some weight to spare still, and the baby will drain me of what it needs, but I want to make sure I'm not potentially doing any unintentional harm.

Anyway, just wanted to share
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I am so excited for you! I remember when you first made the decision to have surgery. I left the forums for a year or two but as soon as I came back I came across one of our pm's in my mailbox and had to check to see how you were doing. You look phenomenal girl. I have no advice other than talk to your doctor and enjoy the ride.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Oh Jilly!!! a BABY!!! congratulations! this is great news - and i KNOW that betweeen you and your doc, you'll figure it out.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

That is wonderful news, Jill! Congrats, honey! Pregnancy post op might be challenging but I'm sure you are going to be fine! What a blessing!

Last edited by missangelaks; 08-19-2011 at 12:01 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #5  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Fantastic! Hope you have an uneventful pregnancy!
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

I'm so happy for you! Congrats!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

Thanks, everyone!

My appointment Friday was a huge disappointment and waste of time - no exam, no ultrasound, no nothin'! Just talking with the NP about what not to eat, what vitamins to take, etc., and she was quite useless in answering any of my questions as a WLS patient. For example, she asked if I was taking a prenatal. I said no, that the multivitamins I was already taking had MORE folic acid in them than the prenatal I compared to at the store, so I stuck with mine. I asked if there was something other than folate I should be looking for in a prenatal, and she couldn't really answer me.

Anyway, ultrasound on Tuesday afternoon now. Hopefully, they will be able to estimate a due date then.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

oh good grief. sounds like you're going to have to be your own advisor here. but YOU'RE PREGNANT!!!! YAY!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #9  
Let's try this again . .

Jillian-I don't know if you're on FB-but there are a few really good forums and I've seen several posts by post-surgery pregnant mamas. The ones I belong to are WLS, WLS Private Group, and Bariatric Bad Girls (don't let the name fool you . . .). All are closed groups and any posts won't show up on your profile. Also check out Vitalady or Vitagarden(?)--Andrea is really knowledgable regarding supplements . .
Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemarie View Post
Jillian-I don't know if you're on FB-but there are a few really good forums and I've seen several posts by post-surgery pregnant mamas. The ones I belong to are WLS, WLS Private Group, and Bariatric Bad Girls (don't let the name fool you . . .). All are closed groups and any posts won't show up on your profile. Also check out Vitalady or Vitagarden(?)--Andrea is really knowledgable regarding supplements . .
I don't do Facebook groups only because I can't access FB from work, and that's where I most frequently read my forums (ssh, don't tell my boss!). I actually met Vitalady (and her husband) last month, so I can always reach out there. And I used to chat with Andrea quite a bit, but she seems to have disappeared lately. I'll have to go poke her via Vitagarten...thanks for the tips!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #11  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemarie View Post
Not to hijack Jill's thread, but Juliemarie, do you find these groups provide better information and connection than say 3FC, ThinnerTimes, or ObesityHelp? Can I ask why you like the FB pages?

And Jill, grrr regarding the lack of vit knowledge. WLS is becoming prevalent enough that I wish doctors would start learning more about the needs of their WLS patients.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #12  
Let's try this again . .

Re: FB groups. I find it easier to get all my information in one place. This group isn't as busy as they are. And i really don't care for OH-too much drama and people jumping down one another's throat if they eat a darn cracker or something . . . .
Old 08-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5

congrats. Don't worry about your weightloss. It isn't that unusual in the first trimester. As to the vitamins I was told there wasn't anything unusual about them. In fact I was told it was fine to take two regular vitamins rather than go out and buy new ones
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
As to the vitamins I was told there wasn't anything unusual about them. In fact I was told it was fine to take two regular vitamins rather than go out and buy new ones
I actually Googled today to find out the major differences, and it seems the primary differences are simply that prenatals tend to contain more folate, calcium, and iron. I already take separate calcium and iron, so I'm not going to bother changing anything. Also, I find it interesting that they cram more iron and calcium into a prenatal when the body can't absorb both calcium and iron at the same time, so these pregnant women are likely not reaping much benefit from the added iron (unless the amount of calcium is still insufficient)!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #15  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like you might need to shop around for a new OB. The questions you asked were very basic and she definitely should have given you at least a EDD based on your last menstrual cycle. If you live in a big enough place you can probably find an OB that has good experience with post WLS patients. It's so important to have a Dr you can trust to be knowledgeable and truthful when you're pregnant (at least it was for me!)

Congratulations again, I'm so excited for you!!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote