Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 06:27 PM   #1  
Wishing to waste away.

Default Exercises on a total gym

My husband bought me a total gym for Christmas. I really do like it, but I started BFL yesterday and would like to adapt the exercises to do most of them on it. I was able to do most of the upper body. I have a few dumbbells also, to make a variety. But the lower body looks a little harder to adapt, or to even do at home. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 06:37 PM   #2  
Mel

Default Total Gym

What equipment do you have on the Total Gym? Would love to help, but need to know what's there.... mel
Old 01-22-2003, 10:25 AM   #3  
Wishing to waste away.

It came with all of the accessories except the dip bars for doing the push ups. I did my lower body routine this morning. I need to find some good exercises for the quads and the calves. The ones I did for quads seemed to do more for the hamstrings. When I used to go to the gym, I could lift about 90-100 lbs. while doing calf raises, so it is hard to challenge myself at home without heavier weights.
TK
Old 01-22-2003, 09:53 PM   #4  
Mel

Default Hmmm...

I don't know what "all the accessories" are- does it have a quad extension add-on? You can use that. If you have dumbells, try either standing or walking lunges. Go real deep and you'll hit hamstrings as well as quads. You can do dumbell squats if you're not real strong yet. If you can get a Swiss Ball, there is a real good way to do hamstring curls using that, as well as squats against a wall with the ball.
Can't think of much else- that's why I finally joined a gym. I just couldn't own enough equipment or safely do the workouts I wanted to do at home. Try posting on the main thread, maybe you'll get some more ideas.

mel
Old 01-23-2003, 09:22 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

I have an idea - I'm going to copy this thread into the "Exercises" forum...let's see what the gals there have to say. I've seen the Total Gym advertised but personally I would never buy it, mostly because I don't have the room but also because I never buy anything from an infomercial (exception would be the Foreman Grill but I bought that from Target).
Old 01-24-2003, 11:37 AM   #6  

I also have a total gym, and as far as lower body you can do squats, on it, and you can do legs too, what I mean by that is that you can work your inner thighs and your outer thighs, I would recommend viewing the video that cam ewith it, as well as looking at the exercise uide that cam ewith it too. If you need any additional help just email me and I will help you.

As I read peoples posts and OPINION's I find it very discouraging, If you can afford it then GOOD for you, do not let anyone discourage you from anything, I personally think that joining a gym is a waste of money and time and a waste of peoples opinions. It is only good for the sauna. I plan on getting one of those. exercise equiptment is fairly cheap these days all you need is the room.

Good luck to you on the BFL, I am on my first week, going on my second week, as for cardio, sometimes I use the treadmill, it has a tv on it , and sometimes I use the firm tapes, and sometimes tae-bo, next will be the total gym, just use what you have and make the best out of it.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:30 PM   #7  
Wishing to waste away.

I belonged to a gym, but had to drive quite a ways to get there. I can't justify still paying the membership. I'm already strong enough that I have to choose the exercises that challenge me. I have found some that really do the trick. We got our total gym used out of the paper, but it's like brand new, and I love it, so it was worth every penny.

For anybody who's wondering, the total gym takes about 10 seconds, (literally), to set up and down. When it's folded up, it just stands right along my wall, out of the way.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep trying new things.
TK
Closed Thread