Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Default Going to bed hungry

I always eat an evening meal around 6pm making sure i have a lot of protein to keep me feeling full. But by around 9pm in the evening I start to feel really hungry. Usually I'll have some calories left for the day, but i often think that if i just dont have anything then I'll be better off in terms of weight loss.

The problem is, if I go to bed hungry, I wake up very hungry and spend the whole of the next day feeling hungry, even after ive eaten.

Snacks in the evening always seem to be some dry cereal or a biscuit or something. Does anyone have any ideas for anything I could have instead, that's vegetarian and preferably low in sugar? Or should I just try and sleep it off and ignore the feelings of hunger the next day? Im not even sure if it's true hunger or just my body feeling sorry for itself for being denied a chocolate biscuit or two!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #2  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

I had the same problem for decades, i was always fighting to eat early because thats what we are told to do, till one day someone said just eat later before you go to bed then...duh, your body needs x amount of cals doesn't matter when you have them, it was crazy talk, instead of struggling against my natural inclination i decided to give it a try, low and behold it was the answer i was looking for, not only could i sleep better but i did not snack or eat twice in the evenings, nor do i feel like i'm starving all the time.

Just a suggestion.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/130/125

Height: 5'5''

agreed.. untill and unless you are with in your calorie range, I dont think the time of eating really matters..
RudeImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Nothing wrong with a later-night snack as long as it doesn't trigger overeating . Almonds, a cup of frozen yogurt or frozen mashed banana (tastes like ice cream!), or cup of hot chocolate are some of my favorite go-tos
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Height: 5'4"

You have to find what works for you. For me, ending night eating was the thing that made the number one difference in my weight loss. After a few days of breaking the habit (it was hard, I was starving and the emotional part of it was strong) I found I wasn't hungry.

For me it's better to go to bed a little hungry, wake up and have a larger, fibre and protien filled breakfast.
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #6  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Like the other posters, I'd recommend a handful of nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts) at 9pm. Or I like to do a small glass of almond milk (with a glass of water chaser to either).

Then a good dose of protein (with a little good fat) first thing in the morning. Hopefully that will nip the next day hunger in the bud. Good luck!
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

How would you guys suggest getting some protein in at breakfast? nuts? Ive never really eaten nut others than peanuts so I'm not too savvy when theyre concerned.

I wish I could eat my dinners later on, but when im eating with the rest of the family, it's hard. I think some low calorie hot chocolate or horlicks could be my saviour here xD Thanks for the thoughts though everyone
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

A lot of people can't go too long without food, they get problems with hypoglycaemia and it disrupts their sleep. How about a slice of wholemeal toast with almond butter? For breakfast, how about porridge?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #9  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post
How would you guys suggest getting some protein in at breakfast? nuts? Ive never really eaten nut others than peanuts so I'm not too savvy when theyre concerned.
You could certainly do nuts in the morning too - or (and you mentioned you were a vegetarian, but not sure if you are vegan or not, if you are vegan, obviously these recommendations won't work) I like greek yogurt or an egg or two (hardboiled if you need to eat away from home).

For a vegan morning option, as another poster mentioned, you could do a small slice of whole wheat bread/toast or a few crackers (or even veggies) with some peanut or other nut butter on top.

Yum. Getting hungry just thinking of it.

Last edited by ilbnej; 07-29-2011 at 09:31 AM.
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote