Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #1  

Default When clothes don't fit well any more

I have lost about 15 pounds from my high weight and today I went through a closet. I don't "fill out" a lot of my pants.

What do you do when you get small enough to "downsize" (literally)? Do you pack the clothes away, or get rid of them?

I do not need to buy new ones because I have loads of clothes that were too small and now I am beginning to be able to fit into them.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I haven't done anything with mine yet, they're still hanging in my closet. Worse, I'm still wearing a lot of them. It sort of creeps up on me. I knew I had pants that were just too big, but I put on a shirt the other day and it was too big too. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me that that might be a problem.

I know a lot of people will say to get rid of them, so that you don't have that security blanket to fall back on, making regaining that much more of a problem. I don't have the courage to do that.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #3  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I just posted about this a week or two ago.

I get rid of them. Partially because I have SO MANY FREAK'N CLOTHES! - I say give'm to Goodwill where they can go to good use. Also partially, I use the "if you haven't worn it in a year, you likely never will" rule & go ahead & give it away.

That said, I had plenty of "skinnier" clothes that I haven't worn in well over a year (ahem! ) that now fit me well! - so it's ALMOST like having a new wardrobe! Further more... in another 10-15 pounds, I'll be in my size 10 jeans again, and I CAN'T WAIT TO WEAR'M!!!!

But yeah, I'm all for giving away fat clothes. Just as much as I give to Goodwill, I also shop there a lot, so losing/gaining weight is not TOO expensive to my wallet.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I got rid of all my too big clothes. Keeping them meant that I planned to wear them again. NO WAY !!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

I'm going to get rid of all mine.

But just an FYI, please do not throw your clothes in the trash. Even if they're full of holes and stains, give them to Goodwill. If Goodwill doesn't want them, they will dispose of them properly. If you throw them away, they will just end up in a landfill.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

I second the comment about giving them to Goodwill instead of throwing them in the garbage. Somebody else can use the stuff you don't want/need anymore.

I'm in the same predicament. I'm 26 pounds from my high weight, and my size 12 pants are getting lose. I HATE this because my husband and I are poor college students, and I really don't have the money to replace my wardrobe right now. Love losing weight, hate having to buy new clothes. So, I think for now I'm just going to buy a good belt and hope it buys me a few months for clothes shopping, lol. But if I had the money to replace them, I'd definitely donate them. You won't be wearing them again!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #7  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Before I got rid of mine (donated or gave away to friends) I stacked them in the corner of the room. It made me smile knowing ALL THOSE CLOTHES didn't fit me anymore! Then when I realized how much $$$$$ it was going to be to replace I got sad again. LOL But yeah, I refused to keep them because I refused to ever get back into them again. No fall back clothes for me! Now, I did keep one pair of pants and a shirt only because when I have down days (I don't see the weight loss), getting into them or holding them up in front of me make me feel better.

I say get rid of them ALL except for one pair of pants and a shirt.

Last edited by ShanIAm; 07-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #8  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

I don't have many of the really bigger size in my closet, cause a medical issue over the past year has been the root of the evil that made me jump up the scale a bunch... but, and here's the good news (sort of): A co-worker of mine is now experiencing medical issues that have made it so she wears the size I just shrank out of, and all her smaller clothes impossible for her to wear... so I gave her my bigger stuff, and she gave me all her smaller stuff! YAY! We are both getting our money's worth out of the clothing (the environment we work in, it's designer clothing and business attire), and neither of us had to pay more money to accomodate our new sizes! Win-win! I will say, there is one pair of bottoms I am keeping. Not because I think I will ever be back in them, but as an example of how far I have come! It will be my motivating reminder and I will keep them hanging in the closet so I see them everyday! If I did not have that friend, I would quietly ask around to find someone else that needed them though, I just can't throw good money out the window when I work so hard for everything we have (as many do)...it's a thing with me
ItsMyTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #9  
Oh noes I'm a drop bear

S/C/G: 370/270/130

Height: 5'

Yeah I'm rapidly starting to come out of my clothes literally =D. I just am pretty low income and hard to afford new ones. Plus there is always that fear that I'm going to fit into them again.
Ambypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Another fear I have is that, I'm still 20 pounds from my goal weight! So why buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes when I might not fit into them in a few months? Just seems like a waste of money. Boo.

Luckily, I did buy some summer clothes in size 10 to motivate me. (So did not work. I bought them over a year ago and was happy to let them sit in the closet unworn while I stuffed my face.) So I can fit into those now and hopefully wear them at least through October. (It stays HOT for a while in Tennessee anymore. We usually have a couple weeks of fall weather in mid- to late-November.) I hope to be at goal by November 4, so maybe I can buy a couple new items - at least pants - then and ask for new clothes for xmas.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 287.2/250.0/165

Height: 5' 10"

I'm getting rid of mine. I don't want the easy option if I start to gain again. Been there and don't want to go back.
MrsClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #12  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I am definitely on the "get rid of them" bench - I lost over 40 lbs a couple of years ago but didn't get rid of anything and ended up growing back into it all. I didn't gain back every lb but most of them.

So this time around, I am not keeping stuff. Once this season is over, all my current summer stuff is going, going, GONE! A lot of it's a little too big already and will only be more so by the end of the summer, and I WILL NOT be wearing any of it next summer because by then, it will be WAY too big. I'll do the same thing with the winter stuff at the end of that season, and hope to be at goal by the end of next spring, and be able to start rebuilding a wardrobe at that point.

I've never heard of Goodwill accepting worn out clothing though, they have signs up at mine saying stuff has to be clean and in wearable condition.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
......I've never heard of Goodwill accepting worn out clothing though, they have signs up at mine saying stuff has to be clean and in wearable condition.
Our city Goodwill organization actually had a write-up in the newspaper asking everyone to give all clothing to them. If it's not sold in their stores, then there are some organizations that want to recycle clothes and some make quilts out of them. I wonder if some Salvation Army would do the same....It doesn't hurt to ask around......Or just hide the clothes way down deep in the rest of your stuff.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I donated all of my too-big clothes to Goodwill, save for some of the old tshirts I had at my largest size.. I kept those to use as nightshirts. I've worn them as nightshirts for so long most of them are filled with holes now so I'm cutting them up to use as rags or for comfy bedding for my ferret.

I donated a whole range of sizes to Goodwill, progressively as I dropped down into the next lower sizes- 16's, 14's, 12's, 10's, and then 8's. I'm hoping to get out of the 6's sometime too, but I think I'll take those up instead of getting rid of them.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #15  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I keep usually a size up, in case I fluctuate, but anything bigger than that, I give to Goodwill, because I don't want to grow back into them!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote