South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #1  
Robin

S/C/G: 264/250/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Hungry...HELP

Ok, so this was my first day on Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet. My problem is I am hungry all the time it seems. Maybe I am not eating enough, but that is what got me where I am in the first place....over eating. Will this eventually become better or should I eat more than I did today? I work crazy hours so I am thinking I definately need to add more snacks of some sort. Tonight I am at work until 11 pm and am trying my best not to go find something to eat because I am really hungry. I am reading alot on here trying to fight the boredom, but hunger is really getting to me. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. For health reasons among others, I need to get this massive excess weight off.
RobinP5380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/276/135

Height: 5'6

You should definitely have two snacks a day - try mixing protein with vegetables, like natural peanut butter and celery sticks (my fave). And drink lots of water, it helps curb the appetite.

I'm on week 2 of phase 1 now, and I have zero appetite. I don't know if it's like this for everyone, though.
beachmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

on Phase 1, you should eat until you feel satisfied. Just make sure you are eating foods that are Phase 1 friendly. Also, be sure to include legumes (beans) in your menus, and include at least 4 1/2 cups of vegetables and 2 cups of dairy in your plan every day. Are you getting enough to eat? Perhaps if you post your menu for the day, including all snacks, we can have a look and see how we can help.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I totally agree with Linda. When you are hungry eat SBD approved foods. I was often quite hungry during p1, especially in the late afternoon. I would have an extra snack even though I'd already had one. My choice was usually diced chicken, yogurt or a string cheese.

I promise you, if you stay OP this will get better. I think the hunger comes from blood sugar being out of whack and withdrawal from the bad foods. I also think that our bodies can be somewhat malnourished, in a certain way, from a lack of healthful foods.

Best wishes! Hang in there!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I was hungry too!! I agree with the advice: if you are feeling true physical hunger, eat something on plan. But watch that you are truly hungry. I am one who snacks often, but with SBD I have totally changed what I eat for those snacks.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Can you post your menu for a typical day? We can probably help you fill some holes. And how much water are you drinking?
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #7  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

I was starving the first few days as well. I read somewhere that it is common on low carb diets because the body is searching for carbs. It went away fairly quickly though say day 4 or 5.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #8  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I am currently still in Phase 1 and drink A TON of water. That is really helping me.
Special K makes a powder tube you mix into a water bottle and it has protein & fiber in it, I wonder if that might help. The protein is the key for me, it keeps me feeling full until my next snack/meal. But I have to make sure I time those snacks and meals out every few hours. Hang in there, it gets better and you will be so happy that you stuck it out!
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #9  

Don't forget - if you're a serial snacker or grazer you might just be in the habit of eating all the time, and as you're now not your body is saying 'hey! Where's my usual steady supply of food?!'. It could be just habit rather than actual hunger.
EverDecreasing is offline   Reply With Quote