Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Unhappy Feeling burnt need to vent.

It has been 2 years since I started this weight loss trip and I am so near my goal but this past month I feel so utterly burnt and unmotivated.

I feel sick, sick and tired.

I am sick of monitoring my diet, trying to be good all the time and not to succumb to all the delights my dad brings home (my father still eats chocolates and chips like a twenty-year old and stocks the house). I am sick of this boring exercise routine I have been doing for the past year (I absolutely hate the gym, people said I am going to get used to it but I haven't). I am also sick of living with my perfect little athlete brother (don't get me wrong I love him to pieces but why when it comes to stamina he has it all and I can't drag my legs ? )

And to top it all my nutritionist (the only person who kept motivating me) has just moved to another country so I need to find a new person and hope and pray he or she will inspire me.

Dunno. I still have my goals and I am so near to completing them, but I just feel like I have been running this marathon and I am so near the end but my legs won't move no more. Please help me find my mojo back.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I'm sorry you're feeling burnt out. And I'm sorry your nutritionist moved. Is there any way you can keep in touch with them via e-mail?

You're going to the gym, but you hate it. Why don't you look around to find some activity that you might enjoy doing? I'm not sure what your routine is, but finding something more interesting or at least -different- will be a good switch up. Take a class. Get a bike. Join karate.

You're also so close to your goal that you might want to check out the Maintainers area and see how they're handling it. After all, they've met their weight goals and are now running that marathon for life. They're doing it. You can, too!

Last edited by Lovely; 07-25-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #3  

You need to change your routine. It sounds like you're burned out from doing the same old same old. Some suggestions:

1) Change your diet plan completely. If you've been counting calories, try limiting carbs instead (or vice versa).

2) Or stick with your same diet plan and try some new recipes / new foods.

3) Why not take a "break" from losing and practicing maintaining? In maintenance mode, you can eat more food without gaining weight. It's sort of a break but because you've planned it as "practice maintenance," you won't reverse the progress you've made.

4) Definitely get into some alternate activities. Is there any place to hike in your area? Can you join a hiking club? What about bicycling? Can you work some walking or biking into your daily routine? The gym is not the only way to get exercise. I seriously dislike gym-type exercise. I used to force myself to do it, but I would eventually give up. Now that I'm back on the path to health (after 5 years of being fat & doing nothing about it), I've realized that I will not force myself to do activity I don't want to do. I have been committing to 1 hour of some non-routine activity on most days. So, I might do an hour of intense housework or yard work (which I like because I'm actually getting something accomplished) or I'll bike to the library or something like that.

Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! Over the years, I've learned that the "secret" to the successful "losers" and maintainers is their consistency. We'll all go through periods of low motivation, medium motivation, and high motivation. We'll all have disturbances in our routine. This is life. However, if you are consistent, you will be successful.

Last edited by lin43; 07-25-2011 at 07:44 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #4  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I agree! Totally change up some stuff! Maintain your weight for awhile. The closer we get to goal the harder it is to lose the weight. Do the math, see how many calories it takes for your goal weight and see how many calories you are eating now.

When I was doing the math years ago and we were talking about 100 calories or less.

Either maintain your weight or adjust your goal weight and promise yourself you will NOT get over a certain weight.

It is very easy to gain the weight, but difficult to lose the weight, so remember all the work that is in involved in losing the weight.

Keep yourself accountable and remember portion control. You can eat forbidden foods in limited portions....not everyday. Forbidden foods (excess calories) are for special occasions.

As you know...the first few bites of this forbidden food tastes great, but after the next few bites, it is only the want of the food and the calories start adding.

Stay busy!
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Try different forms of exercise. Change things up a bit.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Welcome to MY world! lol

It does get old, it does get boring. I get sad, mad, glad, pi$$ed, and sometimes I even give in a bit. But being fat and miserable is the alternative to my lifestyle now. And I'll tell you, I wasn't just occasionally a little bummed out about that, I was severely FAT AND MISERABLE and constantly sick every single day. I'll take this mundane and constant daily monitoring over the alternative.

As much as I'd like to spend the next couple weeks eating anything and everything I want, I know in my heart that it isn't the solution to the troubles I'm facing. Food isn't going to fix what is broken.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 07-25-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Lori Bell said it best.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #8  

I agree about taking a break for a little while. Also its normal to get worn out now and then, you have done great so far, you've more than earned a little break .
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Welcome to MY world! lol

It does get old, it does get boring. I get sad, mad, glad, pi$$ed, and sometimes I even give in a bit. But being fat and miserable is the alternative to my lifestyle now. And I'll tell you, I wasn't just occasionally a little bummed out about that, I was severely FAT AND MISERABLE and constantly sick every single day. I'll take this mundane and constant daily monitoring over the alternative.

As much as I'd like to spend the next couple weeks eating anything and everything I want, I know in my heart that it isn't the solution to the troubles I'm facing. Food isn't going to fix what is broken.
Amen to this!!! Yes! Feeling this way today myself! Yes!!!
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

to you! I am so sorry things are so rough right now. I think you got some solid advice above. I'd also like to add that maybe you could give your self a break. How about every week, you get one meal where you can treat yourself? That doesn't work for everyone, but maybe it's worth trying as an alternative to giving up?

With exercise, not everyone ends up loving it. Sounds like you don't have the energy and stamina that you would like to have. Do you think maybe you are missing some vitamins? How about adding juicing to your routine? I'm thinking of doing that as a replacement for one meal a day....most likely breakfast. Also, maybe try doing a whole foods type of diet? I"m not saying you're not, but sometimes eating whole foods, as opposed to processed, can have a positive impact on energy levels.

And yes, try to find something that you enjoy....or not dislike quite as much. I just added Zumba to my routine and I really think it's a lot of fun. Exercise is a lot easier to do if you can find something you enjoy. At the very least, have some great music to push you through it!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #11  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Maybe there are other exercises you can do? Rock-climbing, swimming, etc? There has to be something new to try!

Do you count calories? If so, sneak a cookie or two into your calorie count every few days. And definitely try some new recipes! Vegan desserts are often much healthier than their "originals" - maybe try those?
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #12  

I agree with trying to practice maintenance. Maybe take a break from calorie counting and try to shake things up a bit? Try adding in some new ethnic cuisine that you've never eaten before? Through in some new exercises or try dance classes. I am sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:12 AM   #13  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Thank you for that response Lori Bell. I have been feeling much the same as the original poster for the past few weeks. I really needed to read your response and have someone put this all in perspective for me the way you did. Good luck to the original poster, you've gotten some great, sound advice.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote