Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default Anyone doing/done Couchto5K?

Wondering how it went for you? I started yesterday....doing round two today. Rather than 3 days a week, I am going to do 5. But I will do the same workout all 5 days. I smoke (BAD I know) and it makes it a little more challenging. I do only smoke about 5-8 a day so I am not too bad, but I refuse to quit until I have reached goal (scared of the weight gain). I am going to count that as my cardio routine, and do muscle work three days as well. Looking forward to the challenge! Signing up for a 5k on Sept 17! TMI, but....when I run, my 'fat' bounces up and down! And it hurts! Does any one else get that? So annoying...and even more embarrassing!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #2  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I think there's a whole thread of people doing C25K in the Exercise forum you can check out .

I did C25K for my first 5k and it was an awesomely helpful program. I just kept running after that and started training for my first half marathon not long after.

Not that it's really my business, but I would seriously reconsider the smoking thing. Quitting can only make your runs stronger and I bet your whole body will thank you .
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #3  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

there's here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...5k-ladies.html

or here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...-who-else.html

just point them out if you don't already know.
As for me,
My first week, I did 3 times like the program said.
Week 2, I did 4 times.
I'm in week 3 now, and I cannot keep myself from running, so therefore : 4 times already. But since I cannot run tmr and the day after, Sunday will be my last day of week 3 => 5 times.
And i'm planning to run around 5-6 times per week from now on as well.

Uhm if your fat bounces up and down and it hurts, i suggest maybe run a little slower ? I don't have that but my b**bs used to bounce up and down and it kinda hurts - but well, with b**bs it's easier since I can find a sport bra or a bra that can "tighten" it up so it won't bounce anymore.

btw, the smoking thing. If you can stop it, that would be totally awesome and really help your breathing. If not, try not to smoke 4-5 hours before running. Really. (since my DH smokes and he runs too, he couldn't finish like usual if he smokes even 2 hours before the running time).

Last edited by Annita; 07-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I love c25k!!!! I've been using it to train but I need to stick to it better.
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

It's a great program that makes running a little easier and less intimidating. I think one of the big problems people have is that they quit when something is too hard. DON'T QUIT! It's totally OK to repeat workouts until you feel comfortable. For instance, when I did the first 20 minute workout, I wasn't able to run it all without walking the first time. I ran 12 minutes, walked 3, and then ran the last 8. Instead of moving ahead to the next workout, I went back one workout to the 8r/5w/8r interval completed it, and then went to the 20 min. run. Whatever you do, just remember even though you might not have been able to run as long as you planned, you're still getting in some exercise, and that's great!
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #6  

Great advice ladies! Thanks for your input. As for the smoking thing...I usually go to the gym in the am, and only smoke 1 cig by that time. I will try not smoking that one and see if I do better. Although I didn't notice any breathing issues so far, I am sure I will once I run for longer than 60 seconds at a time. I am super excited to get to the end!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #7  
mya

Height: 5'4"

I just bought new shoes to start C25k, run a 5k is one of my goals. I want to run a half marathon too, but I'm not sure I could do that much.
I used to smoke a lot less then you do (1 or 2 a day, but I could go 2 weeks without any), my last one was in march and I don't plan on having a smoke again. It makes a huge difference. I have to climb 3 flights of stairs to get home and when I smoked, I was out of breath and had pain in my chest when I arrived. Now it only gets my heart rate up a bit.
People only gain weight when they quit because they overeat when they want a cigarette. If you're counting calories or you're on a diet of some sorts, you won't have this problem. It should only help, since you'll be able to do more
mya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/145/125

Height: 5'3"

I started out with the C25K program and thought it was incredibly helpful! I went from barely being able to get through the 60 second jogs in January to finishing a 5K in March! I now run 4-5 miles several times a week and am training for a half marathon in December :-)

I was a long time smoker and have seen such a huge difference in my health since I quit 8 years ago. You have to be really ready to do it, but once you do you will never regret it!

As far as the jiggling goes, look for compression shorts/capris and invest in a really good sports bra. When I started out I had a lot of booty bouncing going on and it drove me nuts! The compression shorts helped a lot and held everything in. The good athletic clothes can be expensive but it is definitely worth it.

Good luck with C25K!
hdallas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #9  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i've done c25k 3 times, but never completed it. mostly because i'm awful with figuring out my 9 weeks and hate running in the cold. for some reason i always have part of my 9 weeks in the cold and give up (i can't run on a treadmill because i have bad knees and worse coordination haha).

i do have to say though, all three times i HATED running in weeks 1 and 2 but LOVED it by week 3. when i get the motivation, i'll start it again.

as far as jiggly fat, that's the story of my life, sister. even 40 lbs down, i still jiggle. because of the jiggle, i get pins and needles in my butt and thighs. i asked my doctor about it last time and he said it's actually normal and nothing to worry about. i find that wearing tighter clothes or running/biking shorts helps (you can always wear them under baggier clothes if you're not comfortable in them in public). if you find a way to make it stop, let me know!! haha

the best solution i find is to think of the faboosh 90's song "wiggle it" by 2 in a room...but change the lyrics to "jiggle it" and i laugh at myself and keep running
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #10  

Amyleigh- LOL that is too funny. Jiggle it! I will totally be thinking that on Monday. I get those pins and needles too- it feels like a weird popping sensation in my legs. I always tell me work out partner that I can feel the fat cells popping, lol.

hDallas- Good idea on the tight compression clothes. I will have to work that into my budget!

As for smoking...ya all made me feel guilty! So, I asked my neighbor about Chantix (she recently quit using it) and I am going to get some. I will give it a go here soon and update you all. Very true, if I am dieting and exercising, the weight gain should not happen!

Last edited by jaimie1980; 07-15-2011 at 04:50 PM.