Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #1  

Default Is losing weight hard on your mental & emotional health?

I find it really mentally & emotionally exhausting, and am finding myself feeling anxious and depressed. It's just a roller coaster for me. I wasn't even an emotional eater before, so it's not like my problems originate from that. I've lost 40 lbs so far and I think to myself, well I'm still fat, I still have so much more to go, how big was I before? I feel sad when I think of how fat I let myself get. I feel anxious because the process isn't fast enough. I get frustrated when people tell me I'm losing weight, and I get frustrated when they don't tell me.
blancheneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #2  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Weight loss is an mental, emotional as well as physical journey. You're going to hit bumps in the road and feel like you're losing your way. But you've lost 40 lbs, that is AMAZING! Seriously. Please please please don't label yourself as fat and therefore useless. You are being strong and trying your best to lose the weight and that takes such strength, courage and determination. Not a lot of people have what it takes to lose weight, and they remain overweight.

I know how frustrating it can get with how slow the process is. But you can't forget where you started and more importantly where you want to be. You want to be healthy and happy with your weight, and feel confident in the way you look. There are going to be times like this where you feel like it's hopeless, but we're here to cheer you on and say don't give up!

Find your inspiration, find that motivation and you will feel determined to keep pushing forward and be excited for the future. I know it's easy to think "but I've got so far to go." Well, let me tell you this, you NEED this journey. If you went into a time machine and went to the future and skipped the important parts then you'll relapse and be right back where you started. The struggle is what will shape you into a better person.

We all feel like we've disappointed ourselves with letting ourselves get overweight. But you know what? So friggin what. It happened, it's in the past, but we're doing something about it NOW. THAT is what's important and that is what you should think about.

I went through a major psychological breakdown 2 years ago. I was ashamed of my past and was terrified of my future. But I overcame depression, panic attacks and anxiety on my own. I didn't take pills or go to therapy, I learnt an important lesson that there is just no point "mentally living" in a different time zone. The past is the past and the future hasn't happened yet - only what you do right now counts. So make the most of it.

I hope you can pick yourself back up, brush off the dust and just keep heading to that goal. And if you need inspiration, might I suggest you head over to the Goal! sub-forum here on the message board. Go to the pictures forum and see how amazing people look now. And all that was down to hard work over a long period of time.

Feel better, cheer up, and let's do this together!!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riestrella View Post

We all feel like we've disappointed ourselves with letting ourselves get overweight. But you know what? So friggin what. It happened, it's in the past, but we're doing something about it NOW. THAT is what's important and that is what you should think about.
It is an emotional process but I think Riestrella said it best when she said that you need this journey.
This might be harsh but wasn't it emotionally exhausting to be 40 lbs heavier than you are now. I mean, being overweight poses many obstacles whether they are physical, emotion, or social. I could name 12984 things or awkward situations that sucked because I was overweight.
Celebrate every little victory because you will drive yourself nuts if you are just waiting for the end.

And a side note...Riestrella, your comment really hit home for me because I gained 35 lbs in 4 months and it really took a long time for me to forgive myself.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #4  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

IMHO, losing weight is VERY emotionally and mentally taxing! I spend about half my days marveling over this new, amazing, muscular, lighter body and then the other half bemoaning the fact that I wasted away the first 8 years of my 20's in a super morbidly obese body.

I agree with the previous posters - focus on the positive and how awesome it is that you've lost xx amount thus far! Whenever I find myself thinking about all the negatives associated with how I looked, felt and was treated when I was 400 lbs, I try to focus on all the things I *can* do and see and feel now that I'm 40 lbs away from goal. Tonight I'm going to our local Fourth of July festival and riding every.single.carnival.ride JUST BECAUSE I FINALLY CAN (even if it ends up costing me $20 plus in tickets!). Focus on the fun stuff and try to avoid the negative. Good luck!
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote