Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #1  

Default changing work schedule.. ahh!!

usually I work a pretty set schedule shift. Except I got asked to work the overnight ( 9-6 ) shift for the next few weekends. I wake up with my kids around 7 am on any typical morning.. So I am not sure how I am going to be up for that long without going over my calorie count for the day?!
I am trying to limit what I eat in the day.. but with me eating btw 1200- 1500 as it is.. I dont think its good to go any lower or eat less throughout the day.. so would I just add more at night? and if so, how much more?

OR.. does the whole calorie intake thing start over at some point reguardless if you have had sleep?!
I am confused and nervous. I need help!! I dont want to go over.. but if I need to, how much is ok?
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

I start my count over at midnight because my schedule changes constantly & sometimes I don't get up till evening.
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/170/128

Height: 5'5

I think Blue's advice is great! I've never had a shift in schedule because of work, but I always have a more lax schedule in the summer because I don't have school and my work schedule lets me sleep in later than my class schedule. What has worked for me in the past is just taking my usual plan (what kinds of foods, the times that I eat, and my workout schedule) and simply shift it according to the change in schedule.

For example: if you sleep until 3 in the afternoon before your night shift at work, just eat the amount of food you usually do for breakfast at 4, and eat all your meals accordingly throughout the day, while eating your consistent 1200-1500 a day.

This usually works for me. I hope this advice was helpful!
katybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/170/128

Height: 5'5

Default Is Consistent "Cheating" an Option?

Hey lovely ladies (and gentlemen)!

I am brand new to calorie counting, and could really use advice from those with more experience! Warning: this will be a little long-winded. I want to give you all an idea of my failures with “dieting” in the past so you wonderful ladies can give me advice to develop a healthy lifestyle for the future—and more specifically, this summer.

Through several months (almost a year and a half now) of being more weight conscious, I have managed to lose 25 pounds, which is great! However, this weight loss is a result of “sprint” dieting, where I managed to keep off 5 pounds of every 10 I lost. This approach has not helped me in developing habits that prepare me for a lifetime“marathon” of healthy eating. This conclusion has led me to the Calorie Counter's forum... I believe calorie counting will give me a better opportunity for longevity, and the freedom to have (planned) indulgences without undoing all my work in a month-long “cheat”.

If you're still reading (thank you!), here is my current predicament. I am on summer vacation after my junior year in college. Turning 21 this year gave me an ID to go to the bars with my girlfriends, and only having work obligations (rather than work, class, and sorority obligations like the rest of the year) has presented an opportunity to have the summer of my life—and I want to take full advantage! Keeping my scholarship to my university requires that I have a certain GPA each semester, leaving me in my room on weekend nights doing homework while all my friends get to head to the bars. But for these three months I can finally join! I know weight loss and alcohol have never been on good terms, but I'm hoping to make them at least civil in my lifestyle change. So ladies, is it possible that I consistently have (planned) cheats and still lose weight?

After researching my caloric needs for weight loss, I have determined that I can eat 1,500 calories per day to lose a pound a week. This limit is very doable Monday-Wednesday and on Saturday and Sunday. My only barriers are (Thirsty) Thursday and (Fun) Friday, the nights that my friends and I go to the bar! Though I have not gained any weight (yet) this summer, my sugary cocktails and 2am pizza will most certainly catch up to me on the scale. After googling nutrition information on cranberry and vodkas, Sex on the beach cocktails, and the post-bar pizza slices, I realized I could easily consume almost 1,000 calories in just a few hours!

I have developed a half-baked plan of my own and would love to get some feedback. I've determined that after considering my calories eaten and burned for each day, I can save 200 calories on the days that I do not go to the bars. This would leave me with 500 extra calories for those 2 nights. If I switch my usual sugary drinks for diet coke and rum, and have a lean cuisine rather than those huge slices of pizza, I believe this is very doable. Though the calories seem to add up, will it really allow me to lose a pound a week?

Also, I've looked up nutrition information on the calories in an ounce of hard liquors, and I have found that it is pretty consistently around 60 calories. Is that accurate?

I really appreciate any advice!
katybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Height: 5'3"

I agree, just adjust your schedule and it won't count as going "over."
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

katybug, I am child-free every other weekend and I like to go for cocktails with friends. To keep my calories lower, I opt for lower calorie drinks (vodka/club soda/splash of cran or a lime). I like to go out dancing to keep moving, and if I'm hungry after a night, something about tomatoes curbs it, so I eat homemade tomato soup that I keep on-hand.
It works for me - I haven't seen any adverse effects for the past few years.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Double post!

Last edited by Munchy; 06-21-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #8  

well my question was more like.. if i got up at 7 am... and dont sleep, work until about 6 the next more, do you just restart your calories at midnight? I may have written it wrong. sorry. That night, I got so busy, I didnt even have time to eat, so I guess it all worked out
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote